PDA

View Full Version : Building My First Computer

Shadius
August 23rd, 2012, 07:34 PM
Hey everybody! :)

So I've decided to build my first computer. :) I've decided to go with the Phantom 410 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146092) case. I'm not sure if I want to get the Full Tower or the Mid-Tower version yet. Don't really see much of a difference besides the price and space. What I really need help in is deciding on a CPU and motherboard. I'd like to keep it Intel and Ivy Bridge. This computer that I'm building will replace my old desktop that has Windows XP Home Edition SP3 on it. I intend to run Ubuntu on the one I'm building. So can I ask the community to help guide me in my first build?

Let's start with choosing a CPU. I've been reading about 2nd Generation processors and 3rd Generation processors. I'm guessing that the 3rd Generation processors are the newest processors, and therefore, better? I've been looking at this Intel (http://ark.intel.com/products/family/65506/3rd-Generation-Intel-Core-i7-Processors/desktop) page for hours trying to make sense of it. I think I'm suffering from information overload at this point. Now, I'm not sure if I actually NEED i7, so I'm open to other suggestions (i5, i3) also.

I think I'll leave it at that for now. Thanks in advance to those who try to assist me. If this thread is in the wrong place, I apologize, and please move it to the correct category. Thank you.

drmrgd
August 23rd, 2012, 07:48 PM
I think the biggest first question to answer is what do you do with your computer, and what would you like to do with it? Knowing that, you can start to decide on what hardware would suit your purpose the best. If you are heavy into gaming and want to play the newest and latest at high frame rates, you'll want to get a little more GPU and CPU horsepower. If you just like to tinker with small programs, the internet, and small stuff, there's no point in shelling out a lot of cash for all that processing power.

The second big question is what is your budget? That of course is going to help you in the push and pull between ideal hardware and fitting the ideal system into your budget.

Shadius
August 23rd, 2012, 07:52 PM
You're right and I've thought about what this new computer will be used for. I will use it for everyday tasks like school work, internet, and things like that, but also I'd like to be able to have the option of playing games, if I ever decide to go to PC gaming. Another thing is that I'd like to be able to set up Virtualbox on it to test out other distros. The budget that I've come up with is around $1000 or maybe a little more, say $1300, if I really need something.

drmrgd
August 23rd, 2012, 08:44 PM
I think that's totally doable. Do you need a new monitor as well, or just the computer?

I'm not quite as versed (not that I'm an expert by any means!) in the Sandy Bridge CPUs. I wanted to go Ivy Bridge on my most recent build. So, I'm not sure how to advise on that point other than to say you're probably well off with 4 cores, and if you're not now into high end gaming and want to save a few immediate bucks, I'll guess the onboard video is enough to get you by until you decide to take the plunge on a discrete video card. I've never looked into that, though, and I'm not sure how well it's supported - something to research for sure.

Just like a processor debate, a MoBo debate is always a fun one. I personally like the ASUS motherboards, and I've heard some really nice things are reviews on their Z77 series. In particular (if I'm not mistaken), when I was shopping I saw a lot of good reviews on the P8Z77 series, and in fact there's a promotion on the P8Z77-V LK board at the moment ($129.99 at Newegg). I like the idea of getting the UEFI BIOS since it's the way BIOS is going and it's nice to get accustomed to it now.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131837

Since RAM is so cheap these days (it was around $100 for the 16 GB of higher end RAM I put into my box), I'd say put a bunch in - 8 GB for now should be plenty. Take note, though, that depending on the set you get, you'll want to note if it takes dual, tri, or quad channel RAM so that you get the proper number of modules. Found 8GB (2X4GB sticks) of nice Corsair RAM for $49.99 at Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145345&Tpk=N82E16820145345

I would say go for the mid-tower case if you're not terribly pressed for space. First, and most practically, if you get a mid - high end video card you'll be surprised at just how big these things are (at least I was!), and you'll want the space to accommodate it all. Second, it looks like the case has a nice little window to see your hardware, and with all the cable and stuff crammed into a small case, it's not that visually appealing anymore.

I would recommend going with at least a 600 Watt PSU, just to be sure that you can feed everything, and spending the extra bucks on an 80-plus Bronze or better will be worth the cash in the long run since it's more energy efficient. I personally prefer the Corsair PSUs. Maybe something along these lines?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020

So far, with the case you picked, the RAM, PSU, and MoBo, plus just picking the i7-3770K processor (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116501&Tpk=N82E16819116501) for grins, I'm at about $710. That'll leave you about $300 for hard drives and a discrete video card if you wanted to get one. I didn't really price shop any of those components, nor did I really evaluate them closely to see if they're the right fit for you. So, you could probably go up or down a little from there. It is at least (I hope!) a good starting point.

It took me about 1 week of reading reviews and shopping around until I picked the parts for my recent build. Definitely take your time and see what info you can find before ordering. It took me 1 week to shop for the parts, 3 or 4 days for them to come in, 2 hours to put together, and (so far) several months of shear enjoyment!

era86
August 23rd, 2012, 08:57 PM
For everyday use, you can get by with any CPU. For gaming, you'll want to focus on getting a good video card since that is what takes a brunt of the work for rendering graphics. I usually like XFX or EVGA for the quality of their products.

I like Gigabyte or Asus for mobo. Be sure to invest in a good CPU fan (rather than use the stock one).

The PSU is very important. A cheap PSU will ruin the entire system if it blows. Corsair and Silverstone are the only two brands I trust. Try and get a modular one as well so you don't have spare cords everywhere in your case.

Have a blast!

Shadius
August 23rd, 2012, 09:00 PM
Great advice! I was looking into the ASUS motherboards also. I won't need a new monitor for now so I'm good in that area. I plan to get a new computer desk as well. I'm debating between the Z77 and the X79. What do you think?

The Phantom 410 case has nice cable management so I can hide the cables very well.

The thing that I need to understand is the differences between these CPUs and their sockets. Know anything about that?

I'm very eager to get started, but I want to do my research first, and this is my first step. Your advice definitely points me in the right direction.

era86
August 23rd, 2012, 09:03 PM
I used to be a frequent poster at Toms Hardware (http://www.tomshardware.com/). You should check their articles out and sign up on their forums. You can post your configuration and have people judge it and make recommendations. They also have build contests that serve as great references for people looking to put together systems. For example, check out this sub $500 gaming system: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-pc-overclocking-pc-building,3273.html

drmrgd
August 23rd, 2012, 09:23 PM
Great advice! I was looking into the ASUS motherboards also. I won't need a new monitor for now so I'm good in that area. I plan to get a new computer desk as well. I'm debating between the Z77 and the X79. What do you think?

The Phantom 410 case has nice cable management so I can hide the cables very well.

The thing that I need to understand is the differences between these CPUs and their sockets. Know anything about that?

I'm very eager to get started, but I want to do my research first, and this is my first step. Your advice definitely points me in the right direction.

Well, a little hard for me to steer you one way or another. I went the X79 (i7-3930K, ASUS X79 Sabertooth, 16 GB Corsair 1833MHz DDR3 RAM) route as that's what I needed, and my budget was a little higher. I also tend to go a little more toward the "cutting edge" to be a little more forward compatible. To be honest, I'm betting you'll be quite pleased with Z77 stuff, but I would definitely lean more toward Sandy Bridge chips as the Ivy Bridge are on their way out.

From a performance perspective, I'm sure you probably would never notice a difference between the LGA-1155 and LGA-2011 sockets. Maybe for really high end computation work or if you're going to get into serious overclocking would you notice anything. So, for you (IMHO), it's probably not worth the extra cash to go that high end. Also, if you are going to start pushing things like super high performance and overclocking, you'll need to start spending more on extra fans and stuff like that.

Shadius
August 23rd, 2012, 09:33 PM
Well, a little hard for me to steer you one way or another. I went the X79 (i7-3930K, ASUS X79 Sabertooth, 16 GB Corsair 1833MHz DDR3 RAM) route as that's what I needed, and my budget was a little higher. I also tend to go a little more toward the "cutting edge" to be a little more forward compatible. To be honest, I'm betting you'll be quite pleased with Z77 stuff, but I would definitely lean more toward Sandy Bridge chips as the Ivy Bridge are on their way out.

From a performance perspective, I'm sure you probably would never notice a difference between the LGA-1155 and LGA-2011 sockets. Maybe for really high end computation work or if you're going to get into serious overclocking would you notice anything. So, for you (IMHO), it's probably not worth the extra cash to go that high end. Also, if you are going to start pushing things like super high performance and overclocking, you'll need to start spending more on extra fans and stuff like that.

It's sounding like I would be good with the Z77 chipset rather than the X79 chipset. What are the differences between them though? I've been trying to figure that out. I'm on Intel's website trying to compare the two. Also, trying to figure out the differences between the sockets. I don't think I'll be getting into anything that has to do with high computations or extreme overclocking so I'm leaning toward the Z77 chipset like you suggested.

mips
August 23rd, 2012, 09:46 PM
... but I would definitely lean more toward Sandy Bridge chips as the Ivy Bridge are on their way out.

I would suggest people take this advice with a pinch of salt ;)

Shadius
August 23rd, 2012, 09:54 PM

I thought Ivy Bridge was newer than Sandy Bridge?

drmrgd
August 23rd, 2012, 10:00 PM

Oh? I'm definitely interested in your perspective on this. There's only so much research that I had time to do, and I might have missed something informative. I could definitely be wrong in my thinking on this.

drmrgd
August 23rd, 2012, 10:08 PM
It's sounding like I would be good with the Z77 chipset rather than the X79 chipset. What are the differences between them though? I've been trying to figure that out. I'm on Intel's website trying to compare the two. Also, trying to figure out the differences between the sockets. I don't think I'll be getting into anything that has to do with high computations or extreme overclocking so I'm leaning toward the Z77 chipset like you suggested.

In my opinion it's a bit of a trade off. The way I see it, the X79 (socket 2011 stuff) is a bit more expensive and a little higher end than you need (more L3 cache, the capability of higher number core processors, etc). However, the 2011 would probably be a little more forward compatible and allow for a chip upgrade or two (if you really wanted one!) without having to majorly overhaul the system. That being said, depending on your future needs, you may not even upgrade for more than 5 years or so, at which time the market will have likely changed. So, you might decide at that point to upgrade past a socket 2011 series chipset.

I'm no where near an expert in this field (and I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night), so my perspective might not be correct. With the stuff you're planning, though, I think you'll get the horsepower you need from the Socket 1155 stuff, and can save the extra money for other fun stuff like an SSD or a fully modular PSU, which is really nice as it's a little cleaner than having a standard octopus PSU (that's not the industry standard term for that, btw!).

mips
August 23rd, 2012, 10:25 PM
Oh? I'm definitely interested in your perspective on this. There's only so much research that I had time to do, and I might have missed something informative. I could definitely be wrong in my thinking on this.

I thought Ivy Bridge was newer than Sandy Bridge?

It is.

Sandy Bridge (32nm) 2011
Ivy Bridge (22nm) 2012

Shadius
August 23rd, 2012, 10:27 PM
In my opinion it's a bit of a trade off. The way I see it, the X79 (socket 2011 stuff) is a bit more expensive and a little higher end than you need (more L3 cache, the capability of higher number core processors, etc). However, the 2011 would probably be a little more forward compatible and allow for a chip upgrade or two (if you really wanted one!) without having to majorly overhaul the system. That being said, depending on your future needs, you may not even upgrade for more than 5 years or so, at which time the market will have likely changed. So, you might decide at that point to upgrade past a socket 2011 series chipset.

I'm no where near an expert in this field (and I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night), so my perspective might not be correct. With the stuff you're planning, though, I think you'll get the horsepower you need from the Socket 1155 stuff, and can save the extra money for other fun stuff like an SSD or a fully modular PSU, which is really nice as it's a little cleaner than having a standard octopus PSU (that's not the industry standard term for that, btw!).

Sounds good. I've definitely given thought to getting an SSD when the prices come down. The modular PSU is news to me. Gotta do some research on that now.

drmrgd
August 23rd, 2012, 10:45 PM
It is.

Sandy Bridge (32nm) 2011
Ivy Bridge (22nm) 2012

Yikes!!! Total foot in mouth on that one!

I was thinking Ivy and saying Sandy, and vice versa. Sorry about that mix up! Might be time for a coffee boost....

mips
August 23rd, 2012, 11:00 PM
I was thinking Ivy and saying Sandy, and vice versa.

If they were women you would be very unpopular right now :biggrin:

drmrgd
August 23rd, 2012, 11:08 PM

Nice!!!!:lolflag:

These days, that's the last thing I need!

Shadius
August 23rd, 2012, 11:12 PM
Nice!!!!:lolflag:

These days, that's the last thing I need!

:lolflag:

KiwiNZ
August 23rd, 2012, 11:54 PM

All those burning Bridges that are falling after me..........

Shadius
August 25th, 2012, 09:17 PM
What are your thoughts on these motherboards? I'm looking at the motherboards that have WiFi and wired. Also, I don't think I need VGA (old technology), and I was looking into DisplayPort (I know very little about it). My current monitor has VGA/DVI, but I might purchase a better monitor that has HDMI. I'm curious about how DisplayPort works and what it is though. Can anyone explain the advantages/disadvantages of it?

Motherboards I'm looking at:
ASUS P8Z77-V PRO (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131819)

ASUS P8Z77-V (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131820)

Please help me choose!

mips
August 25th, 2012, 10:16 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort

Shadius
August 25th, 2012, 10:17 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort

First thing I've read.

mips
August 25th, 2012, 10:27 PM
First thing I've read.

So what questions do you have left after that?

Shadius
August 25th, 2012, 10:38 PM
So what questions do you have left after that?

From what I read, I understand that it's better than VGA and DVI, but the same as HDMI? It's supposed to compliment HDMI? How?

That's just a minor issue to decide whether I need to have a DisplayPort or not. I'm indecisive about it right now.

The big decision is to choose which motherboard to go with.

mips
August 25th, 2012, 10:46 PM
Comparison with HDMI

Although DisplayPort supports much of the same functionality as HDMI, it is expected to complement the interface, not replace it.[3][4] DisplayPort can emit an HDMI signal through the use of a passive adapter connected to a port that supports dual-mode.

The DisplayPort specification defines the standard as royalty-free, while HDMI charges US$0.04 per device with an annual fee of $10,000 for high volume manufacturers.[29] HDMI Licensing counters the "royalty-free" claim by pointing out that the DisplayPort specification leaves open the possibility of charging for implementation.[30] DisplayPort has more than twice the bandwidth at 21.6 Gbit/s[31] (17.28 Gbit/s with overhead removed) as opposed to HDMI's 10.2 Gbit/s[32] (8.16 Gbit/s with overhead removed). It also has the ability to share this bandwidth with multiple streams of audio and video to separate devices.[33]

DisplayPort in native mode lacks some HDMI features such as support for the xvYCC color space (added in DisplayPort version 1.2) and Consumer Electronics Control (CEC) commands, which allow the control of multiple devices through a single remote;[34][35] VESA asserts that CEC commands can be transmitted over the AUX channel if needed.[33] HDMI uses unique Vendor Specific Block structure which allows for features such as additional color spaces. However, these features can be defined by CEA EDID extensions.

As current monitors with native resolutions of 2560x1440 and up don't support their native resolution via HDMI, the only option to run such monitors at native resolution are DVI-D and Displayport. Since virtually no current notebooks have DVI, notebooks with DisplayPort are the only option for someone wanting to use a 1440p+ monitor with a notebook.

Highlighted some pros in bold.

As for the MBs does the Asus site not have a side by side comparison tool?

Shadius
August 25th, 2012, 10:51 PM
Highlighted some pros in bold.

As for the MBs does the Asus site not have a side by side comparison tool?

Ah, I see. Thank you. Yes, they do. I've gone over comparisons from the ASUS site and the Newegg site. My eyes are just about ready to fall out. I've been researching all day.

Shadius
August 26th, 2012, 12:36 AM
From what I can tell, the only differences between these two boards are the amount of USB ports and the P8Z77-V has the TPM and COM connectors (which I don't know what those are used for). Also, the prices.

mips
August 26th, 2012, 09:04 AM
...and the P8Z77-V has the TPM and COM connectors (which I don't know what those are used for).

TPM - Trusted Platform Module
COM - Serial port headers

I don't think I would want TPM http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trusted_Platform_Module

As for the COM you need to decide if you have a need for legacy serial ports. I have not had not use the ones on my MB since I've had it.

Paqman
August 26th, 2012, 09:29 AM
As for the COM you need to decide if you have a need for legacy serial ports. I have not had not use the ones on my MB since I've had it.

About the only thing they're useful for these days is communicating with machinery that uses serial comms (it's still pretty widely used in industrial control). I can't imagine a home user would have any need for them.

mips
August 26th, 2012, 11:31 AM
About the only thing they're useful for these days is communicating with machinery that uses serial comms (it's still pretty widely used in industrial control). I can't imagine a home user would have any need for them.

+1

When I got my laptop it had no com port and I needed one for access to network devices (Cisco and other telecoms kit) so I had to buy a usb to serial converter. I don't see any need for them on a desktop though. Last time I used one of my destop was 7+ yrs ago to access my dial-up modem.

Paqman
August 27th, 2012, 08:10 AM
I had to buy a usb to serial converter.

Those things can be a pain in the bum, too. We have ones at work that have to actually be installed to the laptop. Not much use if you don't have admin rights and people mix them up! Argh!

I used to have a UPS that communicated over RS-232 that I only got rid of a couple of years ago, haven't had any use for serial at home since then.

steve7777777
August 27th, 2012, 04:18 PM
My two cents --
If you have a MicroCenter in your area, go there! Pick up only for CPU and motherboard. They beat Newegg prices dramatically! I just picked up the following:

Asus P8Z77-V LK
i5 3570k
Coolermaster 212 plus CPU cooler
8 (4x2) GB 1600 RAM

for $358 including tax!!!

Some advice---
1. The Coolermaster 212 EVO is the newer model - look into that also. It is tricky to install the first time and takes some precision. I recommend that you watch a whole bunch of youtube videos on how to install. Do not over tighten the screws whatever you do. My idle temps are 32C is a warm room.

2. The i5 pins are on the motherboard, not the CPU. They are VERY delicate. Do not touch processor or pins. Inspect the pins on motherboard for bent pins before you get started. They are at a 45 degree angle. You may need a magnifying glass to see. Be very careful how you place CPU in socket. Align notches and triange. I repeat - do not bend the pins.

3. Get all memory at the same time. If you get 2x4GB let's say, you want to use the identical set for best results to get up to 16GB. In 6 months that may not be available. Sure, mixed sets with the same timings probably work but why introduce the risk of problems? I just ordered a second identical 2x4GB set of memory.

4. Test the components - power supply, Motherboard, RAM and CPU, cooler (The Intel or after market) only *outside* of the case on the cardboard box (see bread boarding). Use a screwdriver to touch power pins on front header to power up the PC.

5. Air cooling is quiter than liquid cooling. IMO liquid cooling only needed for extreme overclocking. Or if you prefer it aesthetically.

6. As mentioned get a good PSU. By good, recommended from sites like Johhny Guru or Hard Forums. Don't trust eggs on Newegg or Amazon ratings.

It was a sad day that I had to choose Intel over AMD but my new system uses only 42 watts at idle, as compared to Phenom 955 x4 that uses over 100 watts, and the i5 3570k is so much faster. Haven't overclocked yet and no need to.

I use PC mainly for image processing and built in GPU is fine for now. It is dual boot - I can't escape from Windows for a couple of applications.

Most importantly - this combo works great with Ubuntu 12.04!

Good luck! Read Hard Forums for more details.

Shadius
August 27th, 2012, 07:03 PM
Thanks guys. Now that I understand what TPM is, I've decided that I definitely won't be needing that. As for the COM connector, what do you guys mean by "serial port"? The RS-232 port? If so, I don't think I'll be needing that.

I was wondering if MicroCenter would be cheaper than Newegg. Thanks for that tip.

I'm also looking at the i7 processors, 3770K and 3770. Your thoughts on these two?

Thanks again.

mips
August 27th, 2012, 07:06 PM
As for the COM connector, what do you guys mean by "serial port"? The RS-232 port? If so, I don't think I'll be needing that.

I'm also looking at the i7 processors, 3770K and 3770. Your thoughts on these two?

Yes, serial port.

Go for the K version, allows better overclock and you already have a motherboard to match. The price difference between the K & non-K versions are usually not much.

drmrgd
August 27th, 2012, 07:28 PM
Yes, serial port.

Go for the K version, allows better overclock and you already have a motherboard to match. The price difference between the K & non-K versions are usually not much.

+1 to that.

Since the price is usually nominal, even though you might not be interested in overclocking now, you'll have the option later if you get bored and decided to mess around with it.

Shadius
August 27th, 2012, 07:39 PM
+1 to that.

Since the price is usually nominal, even though you might not be interested in overclocking now, you'll have the option later if you get bored and decided to mess around with it.

Good point. Always up for experimenting. :p

Shadius
August 27th, 2012, 07:59 PM
So far, my first build is looking like this:

Case: Phantom 410 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146092)

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K (http://www.microcenter.com/product/388575/Core_i7_3770K_35GHz_LGA_1155_Processor)

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V PRO (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131819)

Coming along nicely, I think.

Shadius
August 30th, 2012, 10:42 PM
Could someone tell me how do you know which power box goes with which motherboard? Like the watts? I'm trying to decide which PSU I should get.

Bandit
August 31st, 2012, 12:30 AM
In general you have to add the watts up for all the components. But if your not running multi video cards a 600w should be more then enough. Most ATX motherboards are 24pin, which most ATX power supplies are a 20+4 connector.

Shadius
August 31st, 2012, 06:38 AM
In general you have to add the watts up for all the components. But if your not running multi video cards a 600w should be more then enough. Most ATX motherboards are 24pin, which most ATX power supplies are a 20+4 connector.

Thank you. I thought that the motherboard information would have some kind of recommended wattage for it. You say if I am not running multiple video cards that a 600W power box would be enough, but what about if I wanted to run multiple video cards? How many watts should it be then?

mips
August 31st, 2012, 08:12 AM
What GPU configuration are you gonna run?

650W should be fine.

Get a decent high current 80+ certified PSU. I would recommend Seasonic or one of the rebranded ones like Corsair, Antec or XFX (internally some are Seasonic (http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/psu_manufacturers))

Shadius
August 31st, 2012, 08:15 AM
Also, any tips on choosing the right RAM?

I've looked at these:

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231490)

G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231587)

G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231589)

I've noticed that they say DDR3 1600 and 2400, and the numbers after PC3 are different as well. What do these numbers actually mean?

Shadius
August 31st, 2012, 08:18 AM
What GPU configuration are you gonna run?

650W should be fine.

Get a decent high current 80+ certified PSU. I would recommend Seasonic or one of the rebranded ones like Corsair, Antec or XFX (internally they are all Seasonic)

I haven't figured out which graphics card I want yet. I was just asking for like a prediction or recommendation. Thank you.

drmrgd
August 31st, 2012, 12:37 PM
Also, any tips on choosing the right RAM?

I've looked at these:

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231490)

G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231587)

G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231589)

I've noticed that they say DDR3 1600 and 2400, and the numbers after PC3 are different as well. What do these numbers actually mean?

The numbers after the size indicate the speed at which they run. You might check the specs on the motherboard to find out what's compatible. To be on the safe side, it's best to consult the Qualified Vendor List for the board:

http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=1&s=39&m=P8Z77-V%20LK&os=8&hashedid=J4TfLoZ8TXyFAkFb

Those are RAM modules that have been tested and known to work with that particular board. Other's may work too, but these are "guaranteed". Also, from the spec page, it looks like the following is compatible:

4 x DIMM, Max. 32GB, DDR3 2400(O.C.)/2200(O.C.)/2133(O.C.)/2000(O.C.)/1866(O.C.)/1800(O.C.)/1600/1333 MHz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory
Dual Channel Memory Architecture
Supports Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (XMP)
* Hyper DIMM support is subject to the physical characteristics of individual CPUs.

Looks like 1600MHz is the fastest that is supported without overclocking. To be honest, that's probably plenty fast for you, and I'm not sure it's worth the extra money to buy faster RAM. It all depends on what you want to do. I'm fairly sure (although you should double-check the list!) that the modules you propose are adequate.

EDIT: Forgot something....the board handles dual channel RAM. So make sure you install in pairs. Also 32GB is the board max, FYI

I haven't figured out which graphics card I want yet. I was just asking for like a prediction or recommendation. Thank you.

In regards to this, mips advice is excellent! It's totally worth the money to get an 80+ certified PSU, which will run more efficiently and cost less in the long run in terms of electricity bills. I believe Seasonic are the industry gold standard (subject to debate I'm sure!), and they are really nice PSUs. I certainly wouldn't go any less than 650W, but you probably don't have to go too much higher to accommodate your future hardware purchases. I went with 750W just to give a little more room for growth. My personal opinion is that if I ever have to go higher, it'll likely be time for a new build anyway. Beyond that, though, it's really easy to swap out PSUs should you decide you want / need a bigger one.

Shadius
August 31st, 2012, 07:33 PM
The numbers after the size indicate the speed at which they run. You might check the specs on the motherboard to find out what's compatible. To be on the safe side, it's best to consult the Qualified Vendor List for the board:

http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=1&s=39&m=P8Z77-V%20LK&os=8&hashedid=J4TfLoZ8TXyFAkFb

Those are RAM modules that have been tested and known to work with that particular board. Other's may work too, but these are "guaranteed". Also, from the spec page, it looks like the following is compatible:

Looks like 1600MHz is the fastest that is supported without overclocking. To be honest, that's probably plenty fast for you, and I'm not sure it's worth the extra money to buy faster RAM. It all depends on what you want to do. I'm fairly sure (although you should double-check the list!) that the modules you propose are adequate.

EDIT: Forgot something....the board handles dual channel RAM. So make sure you install in pairs. Also 32GB is the board max, FYI

In regards to this, mips advice is excellent! It's totally worth the money to get an 80+ certified PSU, which will run more efficiently and cost less in the long run in terms of electricity bills. I believe Seasonic are the industry gold standard (subject to debate I'm sure!), and they are really nice PSUs. I certainly wouldn't go any less than 650W, but you probably don't have to go too much higher to accommodate your future hardware purchases. I went with 750W just to give a little more room for growth. My personal opinion is that if I ever have to go higher, it'll likely be time for a new build anyway. Beyond that, though, it's really easy to swap out PSUs should you decide you want / need a bigger one.

Thank you very much!

Shadius
August 31st, 2012, 09:52 PM
Your thoughts on this PSU?

SeaSonic X Series (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151088)

mips
August 31st, 2012, 09:56 PM

SeaSonic X Series (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151088)

Das ist gut ;)

Shadius
August 31st, 2012, 10:08 PM
Das ist gut ;)

Danke!

I'm off to buy all the parts now! Thank you all for your help!

drmrgd
August 31st, 2012, 11:35 PM

Nice...you went with the modular one! I got the same one, except I went 750W to better feed my beast. I really, really like it, and I'm so glad I went modular. I think you'll be very happy with that one!

Keep us posted, especially when you have the finished product!

Shadius
September 1st, 2012, 06:06 AM
Wellllll, I went to MicroCenter and bought the CPU and motherboard. They had a bundle deal with the CPU & motherboard. The Intel Core i7-3770K was $289.99 instead of $339.99 from Newegg, and I got the ASUS P8Z77-V PRO motherboard for $159.99 instead of $209.99! So I'm really happy with that purchase. I didn't get the SeaSonic PSU in my previous post, but I got OCZ Technology ZT Series 650W (http://www.microcenter.com/product/377235/ZT_Series_650_Watt_Modular_ATX_Power_Supply) one instead. However, I'm on the MicroCenter site and I see the same PSU, but 750W (http://www.microcenter.com/product/377236/ZT_Series_750_Watt_Modular_ATX_Power_Supply) for the same price, so I'm thinking to go exchange it! Sounds good? Your thoughts on the OCZ PSU versus the SeaSonic PSU?

Also, I bought a 1TB HDD (http://www.microcenter.com/product/375261/Deskstar_7K1000D_1TB_7,200RPM_32MB_Cache_SATA_60Gb-s_35_Internal_Hard_Drive_-_OEM).

Did I do good? :)

mips
September 1st, 2012, 10:06 AM
Wellllll, I went to MicroCenter and bought the CPU and motherboard. They had a bundle deal with the CPU & motherboard. The Intel Core i7-3770K was $289.99 instead of $339.99 from Newegg, and I got the ASUS P8Z77-V PRO motherboard for $159.99 instead of $209.99! So I'm really happy with that purchase. I didn't get the SeaSonic PSU in my previous post, but I got OCZ Technology ZT Series 650W (http://www.microcenter.com/product/377235/ZT_Series_650_Watt_Modular_ATX_Power_Supply) one instead. However, I'm on the MicroCenter site and I see the same PSU, but 750W (http://www.microcenter.com/product/377236/ZT_Series_750_Watt_Modular_ATX_Power_Supply) for the same price, so I'm thinking to go exchange it! Sounds good? Your thoughts on the OCZ PSU versus the SeaSonic PSU?

Also, I bought a 1TB HDD (http://www.microcenter.com/product/375261/Deskstar_7K1000D_1TB_7,200RPM_32MB_Cache_SATA_60Gb-s_35_Internal_Hard_Drive_-_OEM).

Did I do good? :)

I went to lookup some in depth review on the OCZ ZT series and they are solid units. If you can get the 750W unit for the same price as the 650W unit then go swap it out. The Seasonic is however a better PSU, Gold rated which means it's more efficient than the OCZ Bronze rated one. But hey it's a $40 difference so decide if you can live with that, I would be happy with the OCZ.

Hard drive is fine, it's 7200rpm with 32MB cache so should be good. I have no brand preference for hard drives as they all eventually die but it helps to go with the brand that provides a longer warranty which you got with this drive. Hitachi & WD is 3yrs, Seagate is 1yr.

Looks like you are also buying based on price looking out for specials which is great ;)

Shadius
September 1st, 2012, 10:24 AM
I went to lookup some in depth review on the OCZ ZT series and they are solid units. If you can get the 750W unit for the same price as the 650W unit then go swap it out. The Seasonic is however a better PSU, Gold rated which means it's more efficient than the OCZ Bronze rated one. But hey it's a $40 difference so decide if you can live with that.

Hard drive is fine, it's 7200rpm with 32MB cache so should be good. I have no brand preference for hard drives as they all eventually die but it helps to go with the brand that provides a longer warranty which you got with this drive. Hitachi & WD is 3yrs, Seagate is 1yr.

Looks like you are also buying based on price looking out for specials which is great ;)

When I go to exchange the PSU, I will check if they have a Seasonic one. Could you share with me where you got the review for the OCZ ZT series PSU? I'd be interested in reading it so I could learn more. :)

The sales associate at MicroCenter actually was honest enough to mention that I could get the motherboard cheaper with the purchase of the CPU and he said he could try matching the prices from Newegg or TigerDirect. They didn't have the DDR3 2400 RAM though so I'll have to get that from Newegg, TigerDirect or somewhere else. I thought I'd start out with a pair of 8GB modules to give me 16GB. That should be more than enough, no? I'll buy the other pair later if I decide to max it out to 32GB. I am definitely looking out for specials since I'd like to stay within my budget and if I can even go below my budget, even better!

Also, do you think the Replacement Plans are worth it for the motherboard, CPU and PSU?

mips
September 1st, 2012, 11:37 AM
Could you share with me where you got the review for the OCZ ZT series PSU? I'd be interested in reading it so I could learn more. :)

Also, do you think the Replacement Plans are worth it for the motherboard, CPU and PSU?

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/OCZ-ZT-Series-650-W-Power-Supply-Review/1418/1
http://www.ocztechnology.com/ocz-zt-series-550w-750w-power-supply.html click on the Reviews tab for many more ;)

Not being from the US and not having any experience with this I can't comment on replacement plans. I'd be willing to read up on it if you give me a link to their policies etc.

steve7777777
September 6th, 2012, 04:27 PM
Wellllll, I went to MicroCenter and bought the CPU and motherboard. They had a bundle deal with the CPU & motherboard. The Intel Core i7-3770K was $289.99 instead of $339.99 from Newegg, and I got the ASUS P8Z77-V PRO motherboard for $159.99 instead of $209.99! So I'm really happy with that purchase. I didn't get the SeaSonic PSU in my previous post, but I got ...

Glad you discovered the joy of living within driving distance of a MicroCenter! The MicroCenter deals are for pick up only.Just one thing to be aware of -- for i5/i7 check the pins on the motherboard before leaving the store. The chances of getting a motherboard with bent pins are small, but it is possible. You may want to bring a magnifying glass and know what to look for. The pins are on a 45 degree angle and tiny. I really miss the huge (in comparison) pins on the AMD Phenom II CPU's :(

loxety
September 7th, 2012, 03:27 AM
I've got the i5 3570 and asrock z77 extreme4 from microcenter. Works great and what a deal! Sounds like your system will be very nice. Next thing to do is pick up a Nvidia GTX 660 video card and you'll be set.

BTW I am still using a SeaSonic 650w power supply I bought about 5 years ago.. worth every penny.

Shadius
September 9th, 2012, 03:44 AM
I've begun assembling my system!! :D I can post pictures of it if you guys like. One thing that I'm super confused about is hooking up the panel. You know, where it has the connections for the power button and such. Any tips? These cables are confusing me!

I'm doing my research on graphics cards now. I'm not in a hurry to get one as I'm not getting into anything that requires heavy graphics. No gaming for now. I'm thinking about liquid cooling also.

I got the Replacement Plan for the motherboard. The details are that if anything goes wrong with the motherboard, whether it burns out or whatever, MicroCenter will give me my money back or I can exchange it for another motherboard. I think that's fair.

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
September 9th, 2012, 03:58 AM
You know, where it has the connections for the power button and such. Any tips?this is where you break the manual out to get the pin sets

mips
September 9th, 2012, 09:35 AM
this is where you break the manual out to get the pin sets

This ^^. Read the manual, there really is no other answer.

Shadius
September 9th, 2012, 09:36 AM
Will do.

Shadius
September 12th, 2012, 05:54 AM
Hey everyone!

So I read the manual and figured things out! I am now on my newly built system! Thank you all for your help!

ASUS provided something called a Q-connector to use as a guide when connecting the motherboard's panel. That made things a lot easier, however, there are four pins for the speaker which I haven't found the wire for yet. I read the manual about it and it said that it's for when the motherboard beeps. Otherwise, everything is up and running. Just have to do some cable management so that things look neat.

Thanks a lot for the help everyone.

mips
September 12th, 2012, 08:30 AM
... however, there are four pins for the speaker which I haven't found the wire for yet. I read the manual about it and it said that it's for when the motherboard beeps.

What make & model chassis/case did you get (link) ?

The chassis/case might not have a speaker/buzzer installed.

Shadius
September 12th, 2012, 08:53 AM
What make & model chassis/case did you get (link) ?

The chassis/case might not have a speaker/buzzer installed.

I've got the NZXT Phantom 410. (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146092)

mips
September 12th, 2012, 09:58 AM
I've got the NZXT Phantom 410. (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146092)

That case does not come with a internal speaker for the motherboard. If you need one you can salvage one from an old case/laptop or buy a new one.
http://www.amazon.com/PC-Internal-Mini-Onboard-Speaker/dp/B002W4M0DW
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=20500
http://www.directron.com/d500speaker.html

drmrgd
September 12th, 2012, 01:49 PM
Yeah, seems most new cases these days don't include a speaker. Mine was without also. On my board, though, there is an LED for all of the components for which there are normally beep codes anyway. So, I just went with light instead of sound.

Glad to hear you have your new system up and running. ENJOY!!!

mips
September 12th, 2012, 02:51 PM
Yeah, seems most new cases these days don't include a speaker. Mine was without also. On my board, though, there is an LED for all of the components for which there are normally beep codes anyway. So, I just went with light instead of sound.

Glad to hear you have your new system up and running. ENJOY!!!

My mb also has leds but I find it much easier to listen to the beep codes than stick my head into the case :biggrin:

steve7777777
September 12th, 2012, 03:20 PM
Yeah, seems most new cases these days don't include a speaker. Mine was without also. On my board, though, there is an LED for all of the components for which there are normally beep codes anyway. So, I just went with light instead of sound...

Agreed. On my Asus P77 motherboard for example there are "idiot leds" that indicate a problem with various components.

If you really want a speaker, Google "case speaker computer" or do the same search in Ebay. They can be had for under US$5.

Shadius
September 13th, 2012, 03:08 AM
Yeah, I'm used to hearing the beeps on the motherboard, but it shouldn't be a problem. I powered up without turning on my keyboard and it told me, "No Keyboard Detected" and there are a bunch of LEDs. It's not a major concern right now. Now to get used to this UEFI BIOS...