PDA

View Full Version : What you prefer when installing a new version of ubuntu?

Ravi5kumar
August 23rd, 2012, 12:00 PM
I am curious to know what you guys do when you want to install a new ubuntu version?
I always do a clean install;)... And you?

TeamRocket1233c
August 23rd, 2012, 12:15 PM
Clean install, preferably either Xubuntu, or a base command-line install so I could set up my own desktop config.

Wim Sturkenboom
August 23rd, 2012, 01:38 PM
I would prefer the upgrade (and voted so). But as that is the most reliable way to crash your system, I will not use it.

Erik1984
August 23rd, 2012, 02:11 PM
Clean install as I usually want to change the partitioning also. I moved most of my personal files to a shared partition with W7 so I can just leave that partition alone and do a clean install without loss of important documents. Of course I always make a copy of important stuff just to be sure.

synaptix
August 23rd, 2012, 02:33 PM
Clean install, same as I do with Windows.

sffvba[e0rt
August 23rd, 2012, 02:34 PM
Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.

black veils
August 25th, 2012, 08:57 PM
only clean install, i dont necessarily choose the something else option either.

Paqman
August 26th, 2012, 08:43 AM
I would prefer the upgrade (and voted so). But as that is the most reliable way to crash your system, I will not use it.

Have you actually tried an upgrade recently? They used to be flaky a few years ago, but these days they're very reliable. I've not had any trouble with one for quite a while now.

ubiquitin.jf
August 27th, 2012, 10:09 PM
I do a clean install once every 3 months or so for no good reason whatsoever.

Jakin
August 27th, 2012, 11:39 PM
I am one of those users that had always ran into major issues, if i used the update-manager system to upgrade.. As a consequence, i normally like to do clean install.

However, i recently did apt system upgrade to 12.04.1 from 11.10 amd64, and i noticed it goes about it an entirely different way, first getting a "dist upgrade tool" (rather than using the built in update app) and cross referencing the entire system- the upgrade takes far longer, but in the end was still rock solid.

Few anomalies, that may be just my system- but nothing major.

viperdvman
August 28th, 2012, 12:20 AM
I too like to do a clean install with a freshly formatted partition. I've upgraded only once on my netbook with no problems. But it did leave traces of the previous version behind, including the PPA's that all had to be editted

vexorian
August 29th, 2012, 02:02 PM
Always always clean install.

I am dead serious. Upgrades are never good. Over the years I have avoided clean installs all the time. And always tried to upgrade. My rationale was that that way I would not lose time reinstalling packages and customizing my system. Eventually I found out I was dead wrong. Starting with 12.04 I will always clean install.

Upgrades are a big headache. If anything fails with your packages you will at best spend a whole day trying to isolate a random bug and solving it.
After multiple upgrades you end up with such a baggage of packages that you don't need.
The package downloader has to download everything you used in your system.
Unless you stick to stock ubuntu 100% you WILL find dependency issues with the extra packages and repos you installed.
That means that you are going to be spending time reinstalling your extra apps.
It is a myth you would save up time reconfiguring. Any random change in core ubuntu will mean you will have to reconfigure over and over again.
Live CD installer tends to be much better at hardware support for some reason.
Upgrades have also killed my theme customizations too many times.
Clean installs are... clean. You will naturally get rid of packages you are not using.
As long as you have external storage to save your home folder or documents, that is not a big deal.