PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Xubuntu 12.04 Recent Document

buster2209
August 23rd, 2012, 01:18 AM
On the XFCE4 panel, there is a applet called 'Places'. Clicking on it shows a list of drives and folders and recent documents viewed. If I right click on the applet, I can select properties and untick 'Show recent documents' however, when I restart my machine, the recent documents are back.

I am assuming this is a bug and my work around would be to change the permissions of the text file that contains the list of recent documents I have viewed. My only problem is I don't know what this file is called... can someone help me out?

brainwash
August 23rd, 2012, 10:54 AM
My only problem is I don't know what this file is called... can someone help me out?
I guess your are looking for this file:

/home/<user>/.local/share/recently-used.xbel

buster2209
August 29th, 2012, 05:48 PM
I guess your are looking for this file:

/home/<user>/.local/share/recently-used.xbel

Thanks, that worked!

arsenic23
September 2nd, 2012, 03:26 AM
This was incredibly helpful. I have been uninstalling and crippling stupid things like this and zeitgeist from my install all week.
I just gave this file to root, and I'm good now.

EDIT:
After reboot it returned to being owned by my user. What process even updates this file?

EDIT:
This will stop it from updating (assuming your home folder is on an ext partition):

sudo chattr +i ~/.local/share/recently-used.xbel

buster2209
September 4th, 2012, 08:13 PM
This was incredibly helpful. I have been uninstalling and crippling stupid things like this and zeitgeist from my install all week.
I just gave this file to root, and I'm good now.

EDIT:
After reboot it returned to being owned by my user. What process even updates this file?

EDIT:
This will stop it from updating (assuming your home folder is on an ext partition):

sudo chattr +i ~/.local/share/recently-used.xbel

I did it easier than that. I deleted the file called 'recently-used.xbel' and created a folder in the same directory called 'recently-used.xbel'. Now when the computer tries to log a recently opened document, it is unable to create the file as a folder with that name already exists.