PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Reading additional drives after reinstall

jabbarZA
August 22nd, 2012, 09:34 PM
Hi,

After attempting to upgrade from 10.10 to 12.04 (from CD) and the installation getting stuck at the very end on "saving installed packages" i eventually rebooted and the PC has reverted back to 10.10.

I currently have 1x80GB OS drive and 3x2TB (ext3) Data drives, the 2TB's have shared folders and the PC basically acts as a file/media server. What i would like to know is, if i do a fresh install of 12.04 will the data on the other drives be readable (in my mind... yes) but i just want to make sure before i go ahead and do a fresh install of 12.04. On a side note, when i booted off the 12.04 as a live CD, i was able to browse my 80GB OS drive but not the 2TB drives ("insufficient user rights"), so this got me worried. Any ideas? I don't have any special permissions set on the 2TB drives. I am just concerned if i go ahead, i might not be able to access my data and i don't have anywhere big enough to back all that data up to, before doing a fresh install.

Any helpful input would be greatly appreciated.

darkod
August 22nd, 2012, 10:04 PM
If you create the same user(s), you should be ok even if you have some permissions on the folders. But it is strange that you couldn't access the data from live mode, especially if there are no special permissions on them.

jabbarZA
August 23rd, 2012, 06:15 AM
Yes, that's what concerned me. I was not expecting the permission error when using the live disc. I guess this will just have to be a "try and see" moment. I will do the install and create the exact same user accounts. Hopefully that works.

jabbarZA
August 25th, 2012, 05:38 PM
I decided to wait and do the fresh install with 12.04.1, All went fine and the drive permissions haven't been a problem (setup with same username and password), all my data is still accessible.

Yay!