PDA

View Full Version : OpenOffice to run Ad in New York Newspaper > Needs Donations!

chickan
June 27th, 2006, 02:38 PM
As seen on slashdot among other places, OpenOffice is asking for donations to run several advertisements in a New York newspaper with approximately 450,000 readers.

link: https://www.fundable.org/groupactions/openofficeads

from slashdot: "The volunteer effort raising $10,000 to place at least two backpage ads in New York City's free daily paper Metro is now entering its second full week. We've collected over 10% of our goal already and continue to find new pledge donors at a healthy pace. Our project's purpose is to help 'cross the chasm' and bring awareness of OpenOffice.org 2.0 to the large number of computer users who stand to benefit from its broad feature set and range of useful capabilities. This is not the first time an open source project has sought a high-profile newspaper ad buy. In fact, our effort was directly inspired by the Firefox New York Times ad. Firefox's famous effort announcing its arrival on the world stage helped push it from about 10 million downloads to its current tally of over 185 million!"

dabear
June 27th, 2006, 03:19 PM
Idiots, they should spend the money they gather on a better spellchecker for non-English languages, and on better memory management. Heck, why pay for an ad in som foreign newspaper I have never read and probably never will?

Virogenesis
June 27th, 2006, 03:25 PM
Idiots, they should spend the money they gather on a better spellchecker for non-English languages, and on better memory management. Heck, why pay for an ad in som foreign newspaper I have never read and probably never will?
maybe because the world doesn't just revolve around you, you don't need to donate if you don't want to.

Brunellus
June 27th, 2006, 03:29 PM
the NY Times is the newspaper "of record" for most people in the US. Its readership is much bigger than the small pool of techies who usually follow or care about FOSS.

Everybody is trying to replicate/generate the hype that SpreadFirefox has been generating.

If I was going to hit anybody up for money, I'd start at the very top: Sun Microsystems.

FISHERMAN
June 27th, 2006, 03:30 PM
maybe because the world doesn't just revolve around you, you don't need to donate if you don't want to.
About 380 Milion people speak English as a first language.
The world does't revolve around them either.

Spell-checking for smaller languages is a serious problem with OpenOffice.org.

Brunellus
June 27th, 2006, 03:34 PM
About 380 Milion people speak English as a first language.
The world does't revolve around them either.

Spell-checking for smaller languages is a serious problem with OpenOffice.org.
the problem is the same problem that you'll find with any similar project: A shortage of people who both a) are skilled developers and b) fluent/native speakers of the language.

bruce89
June 27th, 2006, 03:56 PM
Firefox did a similar thing in the New York Times - it cost $250,000 too!

Footissimo
June 27th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Once they show a mockup that is just a little more professional looking than this (http://homepage.mac.com/bhorst/OOoAdsMockup.jpg) then I'll chuck em a few quid. Perhaps they should look at the Firefox Ad (http://www.mozilla.org/press/nytimes-firefox-final.pdf) for more ideas!

BWF89
June 27th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Idiots, they should spend the money they gather on a better spellchecker for non-English languages,
I dont think a non-English spellechecker is of much importance to people who read New York Times, an English language publication.

chickan
June 27th, 2006, 04:56 PM
yeah, the firefox one is much more professional, but at least OpenOffice is trying. I personally donated the minimum, $10, to help out.

Plus, if it does attract so many more users, don't you think that having a larger community will help fix some of the problems?

Brunellus
June 27th, 2006, 05:00 PM
yeah, the firefox one is much more professional, but at least OpenOffice is trying. I personally donated the minimum, $10, to help out.

Plus, if it does attract so many more users, don't you think that having a larger community will help fix some of the problems?
...no.

Because how many of us actually contribute upstream patches to any packages in ubuntu? A vanishingly small minority.

Most of their new users will be Windows consumers anyway.

Footissimo
June 27th, 2006, 05:36 PM
More users will have multiple benefits (making ODT more recognised, putting pressure on MS Office, making FOSS better known etc etc), though I'm not sure if it'll make much difference to OOo development..perhaps more addons. I'm not sure.

Don't disagree with the principle, it's just the demo page doesn't fill me with confidence with regards to:

a) Whether its going to be a lot of money paid to make OOo look cheap and nasty
b) Whether the OOo crew would even agree to this
c) Whether the organiser will be naming himself on the ad or not - seems a little bit like a vehicle at the moment.

joe_lace
June 27th, 2006, 05:48 PM
Why are you guys talking about the New York Times. Didn't the article say it was going to be in the free newspaper called metro?

rjwood
June 27th, 2006, 06:11 PM
Once they show a mockup that is just a little more professional looking than this (http://homepage.mac.com/bhorst/OOoAdsMockup.jpg) then I'll chuck em a few quid. Perhaps they should look at the Firefox Ad (http://www.mozilla.org/press/nytimes-firefox-final.pdf) for more ideas!
I like it!! And I love your avatar!!!

BWF89
June 27th, 2006, 06:15 PM
http://homepage.mac.com/bhorst/OOoAdsMockup.jpg

Hahahhaha, thats funny

Super King
June 27th, 2006, 06:24 PM
Guh, that looks like something I'd do in paint.

BWF89
June 27th, 2006, 06:26 PM
Guh, that looks like something I'd do in paint.
It sucks bigtime, but its funny nontheless.

rjwood
June 27th, 2006, 06:35 PM
It sucks bigtime, but its funny nontheless.

What exactly do you think is wrong with it??

bruce89
June 27th, 2006, 06:35 PM
Because how many of us actually contribute upstream patches to any packages in ubuntu? A vanishingly small minority.
It's not actually a requirement you know, I haven't done anything like that. I file bugs although.

Lord Illidan
June 27th, 2006, 06:45 PM
It doesn't look very professional. I'd get rid of that yellow, and of those presidents on the rock face.

rjwood
June 27th, 2006, 07:04 PM
It doesn't look very professional. I'd get rid of that yellow, and of those presidents on the rock face.

Actually, the yellow is used by car dealerships in adds because it is proven to be the most eye catching color in newspapers.

Don't forget what newspaper it is going in. This type of reader is not looking for in-dept articals with alot of investigative reporting. The NY Times would be a different readership and therefore demands a different layout and sceme.

Many people reading this newspaper are bargain minded because they are probably alot like the majority of people on these forums; young, looking for an advantage and maybe a little 'techy' or wanting to be..

I think the theme is equally smart in an inexpensive way because in wartime it is a good idea to tap into some patriotism, without condoning or condeming the war, it doesn't discriminate in that sense...

I think they're doing the best they can for the money.

Lord Illidan
June 27th, 2006, 09:16 PM
Ah then, I don't understand much about American newspapers. On the Internet it does look bad though. On newsprint, it would look better, then.

rjwood
June 27th, 2006, 09:25 PM
Ah then, I don't understand much about American newspapers. On the Internet it does look bad though. On newsprint, it would look better, then.

No, infact that's about how it will look in the newspaper----pretty hard to get past without noticing!

It's the kind of thing that makes you look to try to decide whether or not you like it and find some redeeming value in it. In other words, makes you want to look harder at it.. It's a rather stange thing that happen when you see it.. Your not sure if it looks cheap or not and then of course your so familar with seeing cars adds like that so your not afaid to read it...