PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problems with Right to Left Text

Tupaq
August 22nd, 2012, 08:44 PM
Hello everyone,

I am having problems with my support of right to left text: When I type it on an online keyboard, such as this Kurdish Keyboard (http://www.lexilogos.com/keyboard/sorani.htm), when I cut and paste a single character, or when I read it online or in PDFs that I have downloaded, I have no issues with support, not even in displaying rare Arabic Script characters, such as ڠ; I need characters like these these for the Arabization of my constructed language and in Sumerian; I do not know any language other than Sumerian and my native English well enough to write much of anything in any writing system.

However, unlike the Sumerian Cuneiform text that I often cut and paste (there are no keyboards in Sumerian Cuneiform online, so I am forced to cut and paste or, less often, use the u+(codepoint) tactic), which runs left to right, whenever I cut and paste multiple characters of Arabic Script text into an email, an ODT document, or anywhere else for that matter, the letters are scrambled in an apparently random manner: Even when I attempt to cut and paste the letters individually back in their proper order, they are move to seemingly random locations.

As Sumerian Cuneiform text, behaves exactly as it is supposed to, as does any other script written left to right, including the Latin Alphabet, my guess is that there must be something wrong with my right to left support. I cannot speak for Hebrew or Syriac text, as I can only read the Arabic Script among right to left writing systems, but I do not think it has anything to do with the cursive and connected nature of the Arabic Script, as, even when scrambled, the letters always maintain their initial, medial, final and independent forms and "properly" connect.

Of course, any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all for your prompt responses

Tupaq
August 24th, 2012, 05:31 PM
Bump. I apologize if this seems rude but I really need help with this issue.