PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Mate and Cinnamon desktops

rickm1945
August 22nd, 2012, 10:31 AM
How can I install mate and cinnamon desktops in Ubuntu 12.04? Can the Mint Maya desktop also be in stalled? Curious about these desktops.

qyot27
August 22nd, 2012, 10:37 AM
The instructions for Mate are right on its website:
http://mate-desktop.org/install/#ubuntu

For Cinnamon, there's a PPA on Launchpad:
https://launchpad.net/~gwendal-lebihan-dev/+archive/cinnamon-stable

kurt18947
August 22nd, 2012, 03:22 PM
I will make one suggestion re Cinnamon. If you're given the option, try not installing muffin. If I do a search for "muffin" in Synaptic, I see some muffin components but not all of them. People were complaining about the Cinnamon DE being unstable, I didn't see it but I installed Cinnamon and not muffin. I wonder if there are conflicts between Compiz (Unity), Mutter (Gnome) and Muffin (Cinnamon) when they're all installed.

BigSilly
August 22nd, 2012, 04:43 PM
I recently re-installed Cinnamon via the PPA listed above. Installed everything it wanted to, and it runs great now. I had issues in the past but it runs beautifully for me now. I'm currently using it with Cairo Dock, and I love it to bits. It's exactly how a modern desktop OS should be imho. Pretty, with nice effects, but perfectly functional and easy to use.

tomcuk
August 22nd, 2012, 09:01 PM
I have installed Cinnamon through the PPA using Synaptic (and removed Unity, but thats for another day...) and it installed Mutter along with it. I have had no problems (yet.... touch wood).

rickm1945
August 27th, 2012, 05:52 PM
I installed both Cinnamon and Mate. I have a problem with my graphics card, an Intel integrated card, and my resolution was bad and now is much better. I is still 1024x768, but seems to fit my laptop screen much better. The install of Cinnamon put Cinnamon 2D in and I have found hat to be really good. So thanks to all of you who helped with the install. I like the Cinnamon 2D. Like the popup menu, I think better than Unity. Maybe I should have installed Linux Mint Cinnamon to start with instead of Ubuntu. Any one have an input about Mint vs Ubuntu?

Buntu Bunny
August 28th, 2012, 12:12 AM
I have installed Cinnamon through the PPA using Synaptic (and removed Unity, but thats for another day...) and it installed Mutter along with it. I have had no problems (yet.... touch wood).

I did the same thing. I read one another thread that Muffin was required for Cinnamon so I installed it too. Cinnamon really didn't fit the bill though. (I was looking for something to replace Unity and Gnome). I should have tried Mate, but installed Xfce instead. I'm happy with that.