PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Lubuntu 12.04 releases

hank22077
August 22nd, 2012, 05:39 AM
I like some input from users of these different flavors of 12.04.
Iīve used 10.04LTS on an old desktop for quite some time. However, upon the release of 12.04LTS; Iīm curious as to why one chooses Kubuntu, Xubuntu, or Lubuntu.

I like to know which variant works best on older machines. If necessary, I can post the details of my desktop.

Thanks.

2F4U
August 22nd, 2012, 08:02 AM
For older machines, Xubuntu and Lubuntu are more suitable, because Unity and KDE need more resources (RAM, graphics card, processor speed). With respect to a general choice between those variants it is mostly a question of personal preference and what desktop environment you like more. All are based on the Ubuntu repositories and therefor share the same base system. What distinguishes them is the desktop environment and the installed applications.

makitso
August 22nd, 2012, 11:32 AM
The answer depends on what you want to do. If you tend to customize your desktop a lot then xubuntu is a better choice than lubuntu. If you tend to use gnome stuff then again xubuntu is a better choice than lubuntu.

I tested both x/lubuntu 12.04 systems. Each is well suited to a more conservative HW configuration.

hank22077
August 22nd, 2012, 01:12 PM
Thanks to you both.
I have tried all 3 variants.
Think Iḿ going try the MinimalCD (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD) cause I am fond of Unity.

MG&TL
August 22nd, 2012, 01:22 PM
The answer depends on what you want to do. If you tend to customize your desktop a lot then xubuntu is a better choice than lubuntu. If you tend to use gnome stuff then again xubuntu is a better choice than lubuntu.

I tested both x/lubuntu 12.04 systems. Each is well suited to a more conservative HW configuration.

Just out of curiosity, why is using gnome stuff more suited to Xubuntu? Both use GNOME's libraries...

Although I'll freely admit that Lubuntu's panel is fairly horrible on the customisation front. :)

smartboyhw
August 22nd, 2012, 01:29 PM
Main difference is in the UI. Kubuntu uses KDE, Xubuntu uses Xfce, and Lubuntu uses LXDE.

ZDroid
August 22nd, 2012, 04:27 PM
Lubuntu is better. It is faster that the Xubuntu, Kubuntu and Ubuntu on older machines. I am installed it my friend and that work fast.

hank22077
August 22nd, 2012, 04:31 PM
Lubuntu is better. It is faster that the Xubuntu, Kubuntu and Ubuntu on older machines. I am installed it my friend and that work fast.

Thanks, I'll try that

nothingspecial
August 22nd, 2012, 04:47 PM
Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.

vasilbelarus
August 22nd, 2012, 05:03 PM
Did you try Ubuntu 12.04 with Unity 2D? If not I think you should.

synaptix
August 22nd, 2012, 05:04 PM
I recently (as in last night) put Xubuntu 12.04 on my laptop.

Quite impressed by how fast it is.

Peripheral Visionary
August 22nd, 2012, 11:13 PM

Lubuntu is better on your computer. On mine, an 8 year old Dell with 512 RAM and an old Celeron processor, there is no noticeable difference between Lubuntu and Xubuntu.

Except that Xubuntu is more configurable and easier for me to customize. I was fearful that when 12.04 was released, the new Xubuntu would be too much for my aging, modest hardware. Instead I was delighted to find it every bit as speedy and wonderful as 10.04 was.

Lubuntu is probably "better" on computers that are even older and less powerful than my trusty old Dell, but on even most older computers, Xubuntu is worth trying out because of it's better configurability and customizability. If it's too much, then consider Lubuntu as a great "Plan B."

TeamRocket1233c
August 23rd, 2012, 12:36 AM
What about setting up this config from a base command-line install?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
X and Fluxbox for the GUI, along with xfce-4-power-manager for power management.
No login manager.
Terminal window for software installation, instead of Synaptic.
Thunar for the file manager.
Dillo for the web browser.
Thunderbird for the eMail client.
VLC and Banshee for the media players.
LibreOffice for the productivity software.
GIMP, MyPaint, and InkScape for the creativity software.
WINE and DOSBox for the emulators.

hank22077
August 23rd, 2012, 02:51 AM
Did you try Ubuntu 12.04 with Unity 2D? If not I think you should.

Unity 2D, is that the option thing when you login (:clicking the symbol in the right) ?
Think I have, but couldnīt determine much difference.

hank22077
August 23rd, 2012, 02:59 AM
What about setting up this config from a base command-line install?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
X and Fluxbox for the GUI, along with xfce-4-power-manager for power management.
No login manager.
Terminal window for software installation, instead of Synaptic.
Thunar for the file manager.
Dillo for the web browser.
Thunderbird for the eMail client.
VLC and Banshee for the media players.
LibreOffice for the productivity software.
GIMP, MyPaint, and InkScape for the creativity software.
WINE and DOSBox for the emulators.

Hmm...I hadnīt considered that, sounds like a very possibility.

Thank you all!

P.S. Peripheral Visionary, Mine isnīt quite 8 yrs old, but it is 5/6; itīs an eMachines/Acer, no specs off top oī mine head

hank22077
August 26th, 2012, 05:51 PM
I hate to say I'm not very impressed by Kubuntu, Xubuntu, or Lubuntu. Guess I'm just used to the regular Ubuntu now. And, the 2d option does seem to help.

However, I do appreciate the advice.

Thanks everyone.