PDA

View Full Version : Dedicated vs Convergent Devices?

mamamia88
August 21st, 2012, 07:42 PM
Which do you prefer and why? I have a smartphone but I still carry my trusted rockboxed sansa fuze and kindle. I have a playstation vita but it stays home most of the time. I think I prefer things that do one thing but do it super well. Dedicated gps stays in the car so carrying that isn't an issue. Honestly the phone is good for checking my email/twitter while away but other than that i prefer my other devices.

drawkcab
August 21st, 2012, 10:55 PM
I prefer separate devices although its nice to have android providing the potential to do a whole heck of a lot if I'm in a pinch.

mbarland
August 22nd, 2012, 08:48 AM
+1

I've never used my phone to play an mp3, but it's nice to be able to if I want to. Obviously the future is convergent devices.

frup
August 22nd, 2012, 09:46 AM
I'll happily use my android to take a few photos, leaving my digital camera which is marginally better home most of the time. My friend who is a photographer would never do this. We all want different things :)

I don't listen to music as much as I used to when I was younger and no longer own a dedicated device. I won't use my android to do that though, the interface sucks.

I've read a few books on my phone. It was handy for a period where I wanted to do that a lot but the screen was really too small.

I've considered a tablet or a kindle for this. It's the main reason I would consider a tablet but I just can't bring myself to spend the money on it. I've found I don't even use my phone to its potential. (I don't even have many apps on it). I'd also want to upgrade my phone first, it's an HTC legend and it's getting a bit old.

IF I can get Ubuntu on a smart phone and something like this http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/08/does-ubuntu-need-a-separate-ebook-magazine-store happens (With good offerings), I might just be willing to fork out some $.

I guess all in one is good if you're looking to save on cost.

sffvba[e0rt
August 22nd, 2012, 09:53 AM
Once I find something my S3 can't do I guess I will use something else :p

Dragonbite
August 22nd, 2012, 02:18 PM
I'm a cheap bastard, so I use whatever I can get for cheap, or just do without!

IWantFroyo
August 22nd, 2012, 02:40 PM
Dedicated for me.

Laptop, Desktop, HP Touchpad, HP Veer, HTC Liberty (Aria), HTC Holiday (Vivid), Sansa Fuze w/ Rockbox...

I don't throw away old junk. I repurpose it.

johnnybgoode83
August 22nd, 2012, 03:19 PM
Dedicated for me. I prefer devices that are designed for a specific purpose. I have a phone for phone calls, an iPod for music, a digital camera for photos, a Kindle for e books, a laptop for computing, a PS3 for games, and a DVD player for DVDs.

Primefalcon
August 22nd, 2012, 03:33 PM
I'd do what I'd need to do, to get debian on a phone, until I can do it properly though, I wont touch smart phone