PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing 12.04

RahulDev67
August 21st, 2012, 02:20 PM
Hi

I am a new convert from windows and I started off with a wubi installation that went very well. I then downloaded 12.04 to make a full installation that never got completed. I tried about thrice with the live CD but each time after trying to copy files I would get the message that the installation could'nt continue because the CD/DVD lens was not clean or that I should move the computer to a cool place (I dont recall the exact message but this was about it). I gave up after three attempts and then was able to install Linux Mint 13 on the same laptop without any problems?

Is Ubuntu 12.04 too sophisticated for my laptop?

Regards

rukiaEnix
August 21st, 2012, 05:23 PM
Maybe the CD where you burned Ubuntu got damage, or maybe an error happened when you downloaded the iso.

You should first check your iso with the checksum and if it's right burn it again.
If not, download it again.

OM55
August 21st, 2012, 05:57 PM
Here is another possibility to consider.

When you make a full install, the Ubuntu 12.04 will most likely need to reformat some or all of your hard-drive (depending on your installation options).
If your hard-drive is faulty and some areas of it are unusable (while you never noticed because they were not used so far) - the result would be similar to what you experienced.

But I think the first thing to do is if you can give us the exact error message you receive and when it happens. That would help narrowing down the problem instead of guessing...

RahulDev67
August 22nd, 2012, 04:37 AM
Hey thanks.I shall try both of your suggestions.