PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] SSD Drives

Niedzwiedz
August 21st, 2012, 01:11 PM
I know this may been answered somewhere, I just not searching correct.
I still feel for the money and reliability the old HDD drives work. But, I starting to see deals on SSD drives and for experimenting to learn was mainly curious?
How well do these work with Ubuntu? I assuming they should. I was interested in some hands on experience?
Thanks!

rg4w
August 21st, 2012, 02:19 PM
I recently bought a modest laptop and replaced the HD with SSD. Whohoo! Fastest boot times ever! Then I found some tips to put /tmp into a RAM disk, and now my browsers are much faster too. And all the while I'm getting better battery life.

drmrgd
August 21st, 2012, 06:29 PM
In my hands, Ubuntu (Kubuntu to be precise) handles SSD drives without any problem. Aside from the speed boost, I can't tell the difference between having an SSD and HDD. No problems whatsoever!

3Miro
August 22nd, 2012, 12:45 AM
I have been using SSD with various Linux distributions for over a year now. You get a speed boost and in every other way, they work like a regular HDD. It is good to get a regular HDD for storage and an SSD for the main OS to get fast boot and application loading.

oldfred
August 22nd, 2012, 05:53 PM
I still think SSD is a luxury, but it has given new life to my 6 year old Core Duo system. Reboots are very fast. Everything is snappy, but system was pretty good before as I have 4GB of RAM.

But I do not type any faster and Internet downloads are not any faster.

fooman
August 22nd, 2012, 10:56 PM
But I do not type any faster and Internet downloads are not any faster.

same for me, very disappointed....i think i got ripped off! :(

seriously, i love the 2 that i own (120gb ocz agility3 and a 128gb adata premier point sp900). they both fly and i had no issues whatsoever during installation or at any other point. i have / on the ssd's and /home on a 2tb hard drive. i have done all the normal ssd tweaks such as set up trim by loading discard in fstab, putting /tmp on a ramdisk, and using the noop scheduler. i have 32gb ram in this computer so i am using no swap at all....also have swappiness set to 0.

according to the disk utilities benchmark (palimpsest)....i am getting 560.9 Mb/s max reads. i don't know how that stacks up to others, but it seems pretty fast to me, considering that my fastest spinning hard drive clocks in at a paltry 117.9 Mb/s :shock: