PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Fresh Install of Ubuntu dropping to shell cant boot

paichkash
August 21st, 2012, 02:23 AM
hi
i downloaded and installed the ubuntu 10.04 . after it was installed it asked me to restart my pc which i did.. and the desktop came ok.. then i shut it down and re assembled my pc as i removed the windows disk to avoid any unwanted issue..
then i started my pc but as it was to boot light went off ( here are frequent blackouts. unanounced ) so after 1 hour the light comes back and i start it and get this black screen saying some error like uuid changed (?) and there is a prompt with initramfs and it says droping to shell..

the very first line says

/scripts/init-top/udev: line 24: /sbin/udevd: not foundit also says like

Gave up waiting for root device. Common problems: -Boot args (cat /proc/cmdline) -Check root delay = (did buy acomplia the system wait long enough?) -Check root=(did the system wait for the right device?) -Missing modules (cat /proc/modules; ls /dev) ALERT! /dev/disk/by-uuid/7e729b99-xxxxxxxxxxxxx does not exist. Dropping to shell! Busybox v1.13.3 (Ubuntu 1:1.13.3-ubuntu11) built-in shell (ash) Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands
please help

mastablasta
August 21st, 2012, 01:38 PM
did you update grub after removing windows disk?

try to use boot repair tool from live CD: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

darkod
August 21st, 2012, 01:50 PM
Boot your computer with the ubuntu cd in live mode, open terminal and check the UUIDs with:
sudo blkid

See if that UUID exists or not.

The partitions on the disk might have gotten messed up by the power cut.

PyroSamurai
October 10th, 2012, 10:25 PM
You might also try just reinstalling (minus the power glitch of course).