PDA

View Full Version : Making XP conform

MikePnKY
June 27th, 2006, 10:37 AM
Until I get the hang of Ubuntu and figure out which one I like best, I am triple booting between XP, Ubuntu and Xubuntu. I tried and fiddled and tweaked, but I just could not get the panels in Xubuntu to look the way that I wanted to placing them at the bottom of the display.

So, I put them back where they belong, and made XP conform by moving the windows taskbar to the top of the display :p

Thats not a sin, is it?

meng
June 27th, 2006, 11:11 AM
Not at all, in fact I've seen non-Linux-using Windows users do exactly that, probably because they feel more comfortable with a top taskbar from older versions of Windows (3.11, I guess). My question is (since I recently installed Ubuntu on my Windows notebook and then added Xfce) why do you triple boot when you could just install X/Ubuntu and add the extra desktop environment and switch sessions as needed?

MikePnKY
June 27th, 2006, 11:25 AM
My question is (since I recently installed Ubuntu on my Windows notebook and then added Xfce) why do you triple boot when you could just install X/Ubuntu and add the extra desktop environment and switch sessions as needed?

:mrgreen: 'cause I've not been doing this very long. I'm still in the "make it make music and pretty pictures" stage. :-k

seshomaru samma
June 27th, 2006, 11:36 AM
How do you move the taskbar to the top in XP?

mips
June 27th, 2006, 11:40 AM
Click on it and drag it.

MikePnKY
June 27th, 2006, 11:42 AM
How do you move the taskbar to the top in XP?

You have to right click on it and uncheck "Lock the Taskbar"...then you can just drag it to the top or either side. 8)

xtacocorex
June 27th, 2006, 12:10 PM
Before I started running Linux, I had my XP bar at the top. It wasn't until after I started using Linux that I put a bar at the bottom, even though I used KDE at the time (I liked to emulate Gnome even though I despised it initially).

I've been using Linux for about two and half years and I finally tried getting the window title bar to match the default Dapper colors on my work XP machine. It definitely isn't great looking, but it's there and makes me feel more at home when I'm not at home.