PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Where Are Terminal, Text Editor, Etc

borgward
August 20th, 2012, 06:43 PM
I just installed 12.04 AMD64.

I could not find the text editor, or terminal.

I went to software center which indicates that they are installed

vandorjw
August 20th, 2012, 06:52 PM
Press: alt & F2

type: gnome-terminal

Hit enter.

To get text-editor,

Type: gedit
hit enter.

Hope it helps.

I am not familiar with Unity, and only use gnome3
Cheers

borgward
August 20th, 2012, 07:03 PM

type: gnome-terminal

Hit enter.

To get text-editor,

Type: gedit
hit enter.

Hope it helps.

Thanks. I hope they have a better process than that.

I am not familiar with Unity, and only use gnome3
Cheers

I run 10.04 myself. I have extra HDD's that I switch out on my laptop to try out other OS's, that way they are entirely segregated from 10.04.

I tried out 11.something. Thought I'd give 12.04 a whirl to see if I could stand it. At least 11 had a button to access accessories.

greenpeace
August 20th, 2012, 07:08 PM
Just hit the windows "START" key and then start typing the name of what you're looking for. Pressing "ENTER" will run the first program in the results list.

Once the program is launched you should see it in the left hand panel. Right click it and you can select an option to fix it to the launcher.

then you can click it to start it.

Press and hold the START key for loads of keyboard shortcuts and additional help.

hope that helps!

vandorjw
August 20th, 2012, 07:18 PM
.... At least 11 had a button to access accessories.

12.04 does as well, but it is not obvious to everyone right away. The old "run-command" almost always works, and I'll stick to it, no matter what UI changes are made. As long as the keyboard short-cuts don't change, I don't care what happens to UI.

Cheers

borgward
August 20th, 2012, 08:27 PM
Just hit the windows "START" key and then start typing the name of what you're looking for. Pressing "ENTER" will run the first program in the results list.

Where is the "Start Key"?

What does it look like?

Once the program is launched you should see it in the left hand panel. Right click it and you can select an option to fix it to the launcher.

then you can click it to start it.

Press and hold the START key for loads of keyboard shortcuts and additional help.

hope that helps!

Thanks

greenpeace
August 21st, 2012, 09:07 AM
Thanks
hi, be careful when you add your questions "inline" between the
tags on this forum, as your questions aren't obvious. Use the "Preview Post" button on the page to see how your post will look before you send it.

[QUOTE=borgward;12183997]
Where is the "Start Key"?
What does it look like?
It's the windows "start" key on your keyboard, normally looks like this: http://daily-grind.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Windows-Key-722215.jpg

borgward
August 21st, 2012, 02:33 PM
hi, be careful when you add your questions "inline" between the [QUOTE] tags on this forum, as your questions aren't obvious. Use the "Preview Post" button on the page to see how your post will look before you send it.

>How's this?

It's the windows "start" key on your keyboard,

>I finally realized that. It's been a long time since I used *******. I had been looking for something on the screen.

normally looks like this: http://daily-grind.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Windows-Key-722215.jpg

Thanks

greenpeace
August 21st, 2012, 04:12 PM
>How's this?

erm... not much better mate, are you pulling my leg now?

>I finally realized that. It's been a long time since I used *******. I had been looking for something on the screen.

OK! glad to help, hopefully it should all fall into place now for you.

borgward
August 21st, 2012, 04:24 PM
erm... not much better mate, are you pulling my leg now?

OK! glad to help, hopefully it should all fall into place now for you.

no, what should it look like?