PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] panel sizes too big, cant re-adjust

kaizen666
August 20th, 2012, 11:50 AM
Hi, running Xubuntu 12.04 on a netbook.
The screen on the netbook is too small for the size of the windows/panels for all my options.

Not a major problem, because I just normally click the corners and re-size.
My problem now is that I have lost both corners on my save panel.
(When I save a file it asks where to put it, what to call it, type, etc., the file name is too high so I have no way to change the file name, the only buttons I have are save and cancel)
Right click won't work because I am in a save panel and not a normal panel.
Is there a way to resize my panels manually (maybe in terminal) as I can't seem to find anything in the system settings.

Thanks

kaizen666
August 20th, 2012, 12:05 PM
It's ok, found a temporary fix.

Alt+Left click+drag pulls the boxes down (or wherever you need to go).
If anyone has a permanent fix for those boxes though it would be much appreciated.
;)

GeorgeWhite5
August 20th, 2012, 06:54 PM
Hi, running Xubuntu 12.04 on a netbook.
The screen on the netbook is too small for the size of the windows/panels for all my options.

Not a major problem, because I just normally click the corners and re-size.
My problem now is that I have lost both corners on my save panel.
(When I save a file it asks where to put it, what to call it, type, etc., the file name is too high so I have no way to change the file name, the only buttons I have are save and cancel)
Right click won't work because I am in a save panel and not a normal panel.
Is there a way to resize my panels manually (maybe in terminal) as I can't seem to find anything in the system settings.

Thanks

Try this:

Right-click the panel, click 'Panel Properties' and then change the panel width in pixels (by pressing the buttons next to the current size).

Hope this helps!

gibsonsimswilson
September 7th, 2012, 08:11 AM
I am running he latest ubuntu on my netbook and I can't resize my appearance window... right click - resize wont let me make it smaller its already too big

PaulW2U
September 7th, 2012, 08:55 AM
I am running he latest ubuntu on my netbook and I can't resize my appearance window... right click - resize wont let me make it smaller its already too big

gibsonsimswilson, you've tagged your Ubuntu problem onto an existing thread that has been tagged Xubuntu. Not a good idea, different desktop, different problems and different solutions.

I used to have Ubuntu installed on my netbook, until I replaced it with Lubuntu and frequently saw the same as you.

One trick while running Unity, is to move the window or panel down the screen and then move to the workspace below. You should see the bottom part of your window and any buttons or icons that were previously hidden will be visible. Move back to the original workspace when you've finished.

By the way, Lubuntu doesn't quite have the polished look that Ubuntu has but I've found it to be far more usable on a netbook.