PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Weird things after installing Kubuntu 12.04 LTS

Kalma
August 20th, 2012, 11:30 AM
Hi all,

I was running Ubuntu 8.04 LTS on a Pentium 4 (it's very old, I know). It was running very well, with a very good performance. Since 8.04 is a very old release, I decided to upgrade to the following LTS release: 10.04. I found the large AVIs as well as heavy flash-loaded pages were using 100% of CPU. After googling around (there were many posts claiming the same problem) and trying many solutions, the problem was still there.

Thinking it could be a release problem, I then decided to move forward to 12.04 LTS. This time I choosed Kubuntu, to try it out. Unfortunately, the problem is still there. Is it a real problem which can be solved with any walkaround, or should I go back to 8.04 in order to have the same performance again?

In addition to this, Kwin crashes very often, and the windows frames disappear. I can fix it using Kwin --replace, but it is very annoying. The graphic card is an integrated card on an old DELL Optiplex, but I'm not sure which one exactly... How can I know? Is there a command I can use?