PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New Ubuntu 12.04 install on a Asus Netbook with an SSD.

irv
August 19th, 2012, 10:30 PM
A friend dropped off a Netbook and asked if I could install Ubuntu on a 128gig SSD he just purchased. I had to install the SSD first.
The SSD was an external and was in it's own case.
All I had to do was remove it from the case, install it in the Netbook and take the Hard Drive out of the Netbook and install it in the external case, and do a fresh install of Ubuntu 12.04.

After installing Ubuntu I plugged the external drive (which was his old drive with all his files on it), copy over his data file along with some hidden files (email account files and browser setting) and he was back in business.

He had a Asus Netbook and I was very impressed with how fast it booted and ran. Took 20 seconds to the login screen, and 10 seconds to the desktop. 30 seconds in all to boot up. My laptop takes about 20 seconds to boot all total. I also have a SSD installed.

Hedgehog1
August 19th, 2012, 11:39 PM
Congrads on doing a great install!

It really is amazing what a move to an SSD is like for performance.

Thanks for keeping Ubuntu alive and well in the real world, too!

The Hedge

:KS

irv
August 20th, 2012, 03:05 AM
Congrads on doing a great install!

It really is amazing what a move to an SSD is like for performance.

Thanks for keeping Ubuntu alive and well in the real world, too!

The Hedge

:KS

Actually I had him on Ubuntu about a year ago. One desktop and his Netbook. He just went from Ubuntu to Ubuntu from his HD to his New SSD. Now that SSD's are coming down in price it is worth going to one. Great improvement in speed.

After installing one you can take your old drive put it in a case and make it a external USB to store all you photos, videos and music files on. That way you don't need a super big SSD.
I also have a 32gig SD drive I keep some data files on. My SSD is rated as a 180gig, but it comes up about 175gig. Here his what my storage looks like with and without the 32gig SD card.
222914 222915

sakamoto
August 20th, 2012, 11:52 AM
irv: you should try saluki linux on a netbook - in case you really want to be impressed speed wise :lolflag:

irv
August 20th, 2012, 02:56 PM
irv: you should try saluki linux on a netbook - in case you really want to be impressed speed wise :lolflag:

Thanks, I downloaded the iso file and will give it a try off a USB later. If it looks good I will let my friend know about it. In fact I been thinking about getting my wife a Netbook but right now she is using a Chromebook.

I tried Puppy Linux and DSL and a few other light weights before. And in fact I ran some of them on older machines.
Thanks again.

irv
August 20th, 2012, 04:41 PM
I downloaded and made a USB with saluki linux, in fact I am posting this from from saluki. It is a fast booter and it runs very fast because it is running from RAM. But it is to cut down for me. And to be honest with you Ubuntu 12.04 really run well off of an SSD drive in the Netbook. If I get one for my wife a Netbook I think I would stick with 12.04.
Here are a couple of screen shots from saluki.
222928 222929