PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unity Pulldown Corrupted by News Applet

NadirPoint
August 19th, 2012, 03:36 PM
Anybody know why it seems some type of news plugin has invaded my Unity pulldown menus rendering them and whatever application they overlay virtually useless?

Accessing any of the pulldown menus regardless of what application is focused, displays a horribly rendered background containing a stupid, scrolling video news feed that makes the menu become barely readable and basically useless as well any portion of the display it overlays.

I did not recently install anything except regularly offered updates or make any configuration changes in the system, display manager or any other applications before this change occurred.

Have I suffered a trojan attack? Other maleware? Overly exhuberant devs? WTF?

NadirPoint
August 19th, 2012, 03:53 PM
I just figured out is is with Chrome, whatever it is.

Somehow it gets passed to every application through the pulldown menus. I guess that is what confused me the most, at first. Looking more now...

NadirPoint
August 19th, 2012, 04:06 PM
OK, I just checked the potentially suspect Chrome plugins and extensions and restarted the browser each time - no joy. Any Chrome experts out there know what happened?

It appears to be some sort of new FUBAR arising from a premature Unity integration experiment.

Google can KMA and it's back to Firefox unless they decide to stop this kind of BS.