PDA

View Full Version : Google is going to fight Apple in court

Super2cool
August 19th, 2012, 07:01 AM
I just read this and I am so happy...

Google is going to sue Apple for copying its Motorola Mobility patents... Google wants an injunctions against a few Apple products.

Good Luck Google :)

Source:
Google Drops a Nuke on Apple (http://appdigy.com/index.php/blog/entry/google-drops-a-nuke-on-apple)

Primefalcon
August 19th, 2012, 07:07 AM
about time Google got involved!! I hope they win this too! serve apple right!

zombifier25
August 19th, 2012, 07:42 AM
When will these endless stream of lawsuits end? They do nothing to help the world.

Primefalcon
August 19th, 2012, 07:50 AM
When will these endless stream of lawsuits end? They do nothing to help the world.
Thing is Apple has bee picking on every Android phone OS in existence, and until now... Google hasn't done a thing about it..... And everyone has wondered why not...

Now Apple has to deal with the Big Dog... and honestly I hope Google rips them apart! after this though they'll still have to deal with Microsoft.....

Mikeb85
August 19th, 2012, 08:33 AM
Motorola practically invented the cell phone, not to mention all sorts of other wireless related technologies... No way Apple gets out of this unscathed...

Tombgeek
August 19th, 2012, 08:34 AM
I sometimes wonder what Apple is trying to achieve in suing companies based on trivial arguments like rounded corners. Eventually people are going to get fed up and Apple is going to end up like Microsoft did when they tried to ban third-party browsers on Windows.

It goes to show that Apple really does think their customers are stupid because they argue consumers can't tell the difference between a Samsung Galaxy phone (which says "Samsung" on the front) and an iPhone (which is silly because almost everyone in a first-world country knows what an iPhone looks like).

I really do hope that Google wins. At least Google doesn't treat its users like children.

KiwiNZ
August 19th, 2012, 08:40 AM
I am sure folks here were saying Google would not use patents aggressively.

Google is no different to any of the IT companies.

Mikeb85
August 19th, 2012, 08:47 AM

Best defense is a good offense... Apple has sued and tried to block imports from nearly every Android OEM. I think Google wants to force Apple to settle on terms that are favourable to it's partners...

Apple has never believed in anything except a future where every piece of technology is an Apple product. Google has always believed in an open web, with access to the world's knowledge (and uses advertising as a tool to accomplish their goals).

Google has always contributed to open-source, and open standards...

sffvba[e0rt
August 19th, 2012, 09:26 AM
I wonder if we should create a new sub-forum under Recurring Discussions for "Yet Another Patent Court Case"...

JDShu
August 19th, 2012, 09:55 AM

My first thought was massive disappointment that Google is tring to use their patents for more than just a threat, but first we should consider the full story:

Motorola initiated the spat by suing Apple in 2010, and Apple countersued. While these lawsuits were going on, Google acquired Motorola in 2011 , most likely for their valuable patents, and the acquisition was finalized earlier this year. Today Google/Motorola is suing Apple with more patents. Details are scarce but the claim from Motorola seems to be that Google/Motorola tried to settle with Apple, but Apple refused, and thus Motorola filed the complaint.

Is Google being aggressive in this case? Or are they using their patents defensively to try to force settlements? I dunno, except to say that I wish patents did not exist.

Google does in my opinion, come off as less clean now however, and I find that very sad.

rhlegion
August 19th, 2012, 10:43 AM
Google does in my opinion, come off as less clean now however, and I find that very sad.

true it is sad :( I wish the companies would focus less on fighting each other and more on the software/hardware and the customer, but on a lighter note when you said that about Google being less clean it reminded me of this video lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfjocdYHkws
( quote "ima linuxsh") lol

leclerc65
August 19th, 2012, 01:28 PM
Suing is OK, but suing for something like shapes, forms and 'ideas' that they own (but not realized) is utterly stupid.
I hope Apple will not start to sue someone with prefix 'i' in their products. IBM used that in their iSeries computers well before them.
Remember the day Apple and Microsoft sue each other back and forth, while the GUI actually was invented by Xerox ?
Google's move is right. It's time to stop these nonsensical tactics by Apple and Microsoft.

Paqman
August 19th, 2012, 01:43 PM
I just read this and I am so happy...

Seriously?

I think the only way to end these interminable patent wars is to lock all the CEOs in a room with a broom handle and a sack of doorknobs and let them fight to the death. At least it would be over quickly and in private.

Also, linking to your own blog as a "source" for this? Not cool. Link to an actual news site is here (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-08-17/google-s-motorola-files-new-patent-case-against-apple-at-itc.html).

neu5eeCh
August 19th, 2012, 03:25 PM
Google isn't Switzerland. They can't feign neutrality while stuffing their banks with gold.

They need to take on Apple and, even more so, hit Ballmer with the mother of all lawsuits (to stop Ballmer from skimming Android's/Linux's cream). The sooner the better. I hope Google's lawyers are going over Windows 8 with fine toothed legal pen. If their squares have four corners, and if Google has a patent on squares, sue the pee out of them.

jockyburns
August 19th, 2012, 05:15 PM
I'm thinking about patenting a piece of white paper with the sizes 210 by 297 millimetres. Office suppliers beware. I'll now want 1/32nd of a penny for every piece of A4 paper sold. :lolflag::lolflag::lolflag:

codingman
August 19th, 2012, 06:00 PM
I'm thinking about patenting a piece of white paper with the sizes 210 by 297 millimetres. Office suppliers beware. I'll now want 1/32nd of a penny for every piece of A4 paper sold. :lolflag::lolflag::lolflag:

:lolflag:

codingman
August 19th, 2012, 06:10 PM
I'm glad Microsoft and other companies haven't gone berserk yet... They don't necessarily have anything to do with it, but don't you think Dell, Toshiba, Asus etc. would have noticed a tiny crack opening up if they secretly team up with google? Google seems to be requesting almost total apple shutdown, and I bet Ultrabook makers would be delighted to see the macbook air off their opponent list. I'm not really that familiar with the world of business, but, this seems like common sense to me.

If google wins this lawsuit, then the epic battle between Samsung and Apple will be quite interesting.

Anyways, I've never seriously liked macs, so go Google!

vasa1
August 19th, 2012, 06:32 PM

Isn't Motorola still a legal entity?

Google is miles superior, morally and technologically, to certain other IT companies supported by certain "folks here" ;)

codingman
August 19th, 2012, 06:33 PM

Google is miles superior, morally and technologically, to certain other IT companies supported by certain "folks here" ;)

I believe it is, just not as large anymore, they apparently won't speak for themelves.

Kreaninw
August 19th, 2012, 06:36 PM
I hope Google crushes them. :guitar:

KiwiNZ
August 19th, 2012, 08:14 PM

Motorola Mobility has been fully purchased by Google. There is Motorola Solutions which is a desperate entity but not involved with this.

KiwiNZ
August 19th, 2012, 08:17 PM
I hope Google crushes them. :guitar:

And in 5 to 10 years you will be saying Google are the evil empire and you hope Bloggs and co crushes them.

pt123
August 20th, 2012, 01:43 AM
I hope Google get hammered. They can't even provide a Linux client for GDrive.

drawkcab
August 20th, 2012, 02:32 AM
Best defense is a good offense...

This ^^^

Apple's getting a taste of its own medicine for a change.

thatguruguy
August 20th, 2012, 02:19 PM

... as opposed to Apple, which has provided an awesome Linux client for iCloud. It's almost as great as the Linux client for iTunes!

evilsoup
August 20th, 2012, 06:28 PM
Google have run a really good propaganda campaign amongst the... nerdlier sections of the internet.

They literally said 'we're not evil' and everyone just believes them!

Paqman
August 20th, 2012, 06:44 PM
Google have run a really good propaganda campaign amongst the... nerdlier sections of the internet.

To be fair, they also do a lot of actual good stuff, like sponsoring major open source projects and holding the Summer of Code.

alan21276
August 20th, 2012, 06:57 PM
It's about time Google threw it's hat in the ring, I'm looking forward to seeing Apple get a taste of it's own medicine.

I forgot to mention......Apple also invented medicine.

Merk42
August 20th, 2012, 07:07 PM

They literally said 'we're not evil' and everyone just believes them!Actually it's "Don't be evil" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don%27t_be_evil), and the only thing official from Google is "You can make money without doing evil"

evilsoup
August 20th, 2012, 07:32 PM
Ah, that's the one. It's just interesting to see people moving in to defend Google for the same things they would be massively criticising Apple for - obviously because those people have been using Google's services & have brand loyalty. Which is a natural human reaction, but Google have done a better job than most of leveraging it.

thatguruguy
August 20th, 2012, 07:53 PM
Ah, that's the one. It's just interesting to see people moving in to defend Google for the same things they would be massively criticising Apple for - obviously because those people have been using Google's services & have brand loyalty. Which is a natural human reaction, but Google have done a better job than most of leveraging it.

Personally, I tend to have a lot more empathy for the person who finally starts punching back than I do for the guy who threw the first punch. Google didn't start this fight, really. But it would be foolish to allow Apple to continue to try to litigate android out of existence.

KiwiNZ
August 20th, 2012, 09:57 PM
I wish these clowns would stop the school yard bickering and get on with what they do best.
Apple, Google, Oracle................ blah Blah STOP IT.

t0p
August 21st, 2012, 12:16 AM
Is this gonna be a proper fight, with biting and eye-gouging and stuff, or will it be a hoity-toity Queensberry Rules "Don't kick 'em when they're down" affair?

Some of those Google execs look pretty ripped. Shame they don't actually make anything...

PS. Can I patent my name, or does my mom have first dibs on that? I'd happily fight anyone using my John Hancock!

PPS. When I typed "anyone" I obviously didn't mean the real John Hancock. I don't wanna end up a red smear on the Moon...

zombifier25
August 21st, 2012, 06:24 AM
I wish these clowns would stop the school yard bickering and get on with what they do best.
Apple, Google, Oracle................ blah Blah STOP IT.

You know what they say... if you can't outdo them, out-sue them.

vasa1
August 21st, 2012, 06:31 AM

Hmm ... so nerds are more gullible.

vasa1
August 21st, 2012, 06:47 AM
Motorola Mobility has been fully purchased by Google. ...

Motorola Mobility will remain a licensee of Android, and Google will run Motorola Mobility as a separate business, the company said in a statement.

When Google sues someone, I expect to see Google v/s whoever and not as the acclaimed expert on all things patentable puts it:
As noted by FOSS Patents' Florian Mueller, in addition to the ITC case, Motorola has filed a companion suit asserting the same seven patents in the United States District Court for the District of Delaware.
From here (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/08/20/motorolas_seven_patent_itc_complaint_against_apple _detailed.html).

Anyway, I understand it's important for some to show that Google has gone back on what seems to be something it vowed to never ever do irrespective of how times and circumstances change :)

KiwiNZ
August 21st, 2012, 06:57 AM
Motorola Mobility will remain a licensee of Android, and Google will run Motorola Mobility as a separate business, the company said in a statement.

When Google sues someone, I expect to see Google v/s whoever and not as the acclaimed expert on all things patentable puts it:
As noted by FOSS Patents' Florian Mueller, in addition to the ITC case, Motorola has filed a companion suit asserting the same seven patents in the United States District Court for the District of Delaware.
From here (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/08/20/motorolas_seven_patent_itc_complaint_against_apple _detailed.html).

Anyway, I understand it's important for some to show that Google has gone back on what seems to be something it vowed to never ever do irrespective of how times and circumstances change :)

Motorola Mobility is a wholly owned subsidiary of Google.

evilsoup
August 21st, 2012, 11:58 AM
Hmm ... so nerds are more gullible.

Nah, nerds are no more or less gullible than the wider population: they just happen to be the market segment targeted by this part of Google's propaganda.

vasa1
August 21st, 2012, 12:39 PM
Motorola Mobility is a wholly owned subsidiary of Google.
I am not arguing about that. It is not Google as a legal entity that has filed the complaint. Nothing more, nothing less.

Warpnow
August 21st, 2012, 12:46 PM
I am not arguing about that. It is not Google as a legal entity that has filed the complaint. Nothing more, nothing less.

That's just useless semantics.

vasa1
August 21st, 2012, 12:50 PM
That's just useless semantics.

So? It maybe useless for the people who feel it is. Others may consider it shoddy reporting at best or an opportunity to run down Google. To each his own.

Super2cool
August 25th, 2012, 05:47 PM

I am pretty sure they are working on this...

You can't just leave out Linux

pt123
August 25th, 2012, 10:26 PM
I am pretty sure they are working on this...

ROFL how long has it been, look at their resources, and the fact that Android is very similar to Linux, they don't care.

vexorian
August 26th, 2012, 12:48 AM
I hope Google get hammered. They can't even provide a Linux client for GDrive. cuz apple are so much better!

But really, who cares about a google drive client? If I wanted a proprietary client for a cloud hard drive, why would I need something other than dropbox? And if I wanted a FOSS option, I already have ubuntu one. Google drive also works so much better as a web thingy, as it is really google docs with another name...

pt123
August 26th, 2012, 12:53 AM
cuz apple are so much better!

But really, who cares about a google drive client? If I wanted a proprietary client for a cloud hard drive, why would I need something other than dropbox? And if I wanted a FOSS option, I already have ubuntu one. Google drive also works so much better as a web thingy, as it is really google docs with another name...
who cares? are you serious? if Ubuntu wants to grow it needs apps from major companies.

Ubuntu One is not like Google Drive with it's integrations to Google docs.

Super2cool
August 29th, 2012, 05:09 AM
Regardless of who wins the battle...

The biggest loser will be YOU.

Somebody has to pay for these legal costs and its going to be YOU with higher phone prices :(

neu5eeCh
August 29th, 2012, 01:01 PM
Somebody has to pay for these legal costs and its going to be YOU with higher phone prices :(

Not me. I use a Tracfone. Not only that, I don't even get cellphone reception where I live. ;)

Warpnow
August 29th, 2012, 01:23 PM
Regardless of who wins the battle...

The biggest loser will be YOU.

It would cost me alot more if Google lets Apple do what its been claiming itself it plans to do- kill android, thereby securing a monopoly on the smartphone industry where it can charge whatever it likes.

Kennyi
August 29th, 2012, 01:32 PM
I am pretty sure if Google starts a war, they will leave as the winner. Hard times will come for apple.

smellyman
August 29th, 2012, 03:29 PM
"I mean Picasso had a saying he said good artists copy great artists steal. And we have always been shameless about stealing great ideas" -Steve Jobs 1996

"I will spend my last dying breath if I need to, and I will spend every penny of Apple's $40 billion in the bank, to right this wrong," Jobs said, "I'm going to destroy Android, because it's a stolen product. I'm willing to go thermonuclear war on this."

Super2cool
August 31st, 2012, 11:33 PM
Apple needs to get piece of their own medicine.

cprofitt
September 1st, 2012, 06:12 AM
It will be interesting when Apple releases their new 'smaller' iPad... if it even slightly resembels a 7" rectangle I predict every Android 7" tablet makers sues Apple and asks for injunctions.

Orcris
September 1st, 2012, 10:16 PM
I know it won't happen, but I hope Google manages to nuke Apple out of existence. Instead of inovating, Apple is trying to sue every competitor it has. I think it's grown into a worse company than MS. Sure, I don't support everything Google does, but I think Apple was better when it made niche products. Now, it's become power hungry and is trying to follow through on Steve Jobs' thermonuclear war. I think that Google/Motorola, Samsung, and HTC should all try to destroy Apple in lawsuits. If they sue enough, someone will eventually win ssomething.

KiwiNZ
September 2nd, 2012, 02:26 AM
Apple sues Google, Google sues Apple, Apple sues Samsung, Samsung sues Apple, Motorola sues Fred, Kodak sues everyone. It is pathetic .

KiwiNZ
September 2nd, 2012, 02:28 AM
It will be interesting when Apple releases their new 'smaller' iPad... if it even slightly resembels a 7" rectangle I predict every Android 7" tablet makers sues Apple and asks for injunctions.

Apple are already going after the Nexus 7.

alexfish
September 2nd, 2012, 02:29 AM
Apple are already going after the Nexus 7.
Next-us 7th inline
:guitar:

KiwiNZ
September 2nd, 2012, 02:53 AM
Next-us 7th inline
:guitar:

Clever, I like it

mr john
September 2nd, 2012, 05:13 AM
How is the US going to keep up with the rest of the world if their patent laws prevent them from doing anything? In other countries phone companies are free to take an idea and refine it. In the US if you take an idea you get sued as soon as you make that idea better.

alexfish
September 2nd, 2012, 05:22 AM
How is the US going to keep up with the rest of the world if their patent laws prevent them from doing anything? In other countries phone companies are free to take an idea and refine it. In the US if you take an idea you get sued as soon as you make that idea better.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rime_of_the_Ancient_Mariner