PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Perceived slower on 12.04 vs 10.04 on Acer Aspire Revo R3610

agro666
August 18th, 2012, 02:04 AM
Perceived performance decrease running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS vs 10.04 LTS on Acer Aspire Revo R3610.

I use my Acer Aspire Revo 3610 90% mostly for XBMC. I have two (one upstairs in the master bed and one downstairs in the family room) and on one of them I also run OpenVPN and Squid proxy server. I have this so that from my work I can connect to my VPN, then have my Firefox instance setup to proxy through my home proxy (to get on FB and the like).

My real concern has been that I have noticed things just arent as fast in 12.04. I know that the hardware on the 3610 isnt a powerhouse. I know it is a low power dual core Atom CPU with the ION GPU, which is a big reason I bought it. I also know that when I ran 10.04 things like launching settings dialogs in X, or Firefox, or even XBMC were snappier. I even disabled to run 2D rather than 3D on startup in X on 12.04, hopefully limiting the requirements.

So I am thinking of going back to a release prior to 12.04. Is that the first release with the Unity desktop (which I hate btw)? I think everything that was offered under 10.04 (heck probably even the 9 release) is all I need. Seriously once XBMC is running well, you dont need to touch the dang thing. Any opinions on this? What about 32bit vs 64bit, i've ran 32bit always. How does one obtain older ISO releases of Ubuntu?

Thanks for your feedback.