PDA

View Full Version : Linux Standard Base

ubuntoy
June 27th, 2006, 03:32 AM
im pretty confused on my stand with the linux standard base, now that its ISO approved. And china is embracing it.

What do you all think about it?
should ubuntu launch a subuntu as compliance for lsb?
should i start using lsb compliant distro?
should one create a unified ONE linux standard distro as a representative to lsb?
should debian remain as it is?
or should ubuntu gets better, increase its member and take the limelight?

neighborlee
July 25th, 2006, 06:21 PM
im pretty confused on my stand with the linux standard base, now that its ISO approved. And china is embracing it.

What do you all think about it?
should ubuntu launch a subuntu as compliance for lsb?
should i start using lsb compliant distro?
should one create a unified ONE linux standard distro as a representative to lsb?
should debian remain as it is?
or should ubuntu gets better, increase its member and take the limelight?

so..just how far compliant is ubuntu actually ? ( in synaptic properties for lsb-core it states its not but does not define this very well , and I wonder what headaches a vendor would run into if ubuntu is not a active enough leader in the LCC/DCC/LSB arena )

Is it known if Mark is onboard finally with LSB compliance or is he still thinking about it ;00

thx
g.leej (nl)

Virogenesis
July 25th, 2006, 06:42 PM
"LSB-compliance is very important for Ubuntu," said Mark Shuttleworth, Ubuntu's main backer, in a statement. "We believe that Linux offers the world freedom of choice, freedom to innovate, and freedom to localize. The Linux Standard Base is a crucial enabler of those freedoms, creating confidence in the standardization of the core platform while still preserving the ability of the platform to evolve and improve."

http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS7478724750.html

neighborlee
July 25th, 2006, 06:46 PM
"LSB-compliance is very important for Ubuntu," said Mark Shuttleworth, Ubuntu's main backer, in a statement. "We believe that Linux offers the world freedom of choice, freedom to innovate, and freedom to localize. The Linux Standard Base is a crucial enabler of those freedoms, creating confidence in the standardization of the core platform while still preserving the ability of the platform to evolve and improve."

http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS7478724750.html

Yes that sounds good on paper, but in reality its far different if you look at 'properties' in synaptic for lsb-core.

Does anyone have any idea when full compliance is planned ?

thx
g.leej(nl)

G Morgan
July 25th, 2006, 07:53 PM
LSB is only really important for commercial applications anyway. How much does LSB entail, is it just a few common libraries or is there more like unified configuration files.

Terracotta
July 25th, 2006, 09:39 PM
I thought Gnubuntu was supposed to be the LSB compliant version. Not sure though.

Brunellus
July 25th, 2006, 10:12 PM
I thought Gnubuntu was supposed to be the LSB compliant version. Not sure though.
GNUBUNTU was supposed to be the FSF-approved version: no nonfree software packages...at all. It does wonderful things for your beard, too.

neighborlee
July 25th, 2006, 11:53 PM
GNUBUNTU was supposed to be the FSF-approved version: no nonfree software packages...at all. It does wonderful things for your beard, too.

so your saying with full confidence that ubuntu has no such goal of compliance then ?

thx
g.leej (nl)