PDA

View Full Version : Only buying native linux games!

expelledboy
August 17th, 2012, 02:45 AM
Hi,

I have an idea to get more games developed for linux. Vow to never again buy a non-native linux game. Call it the "No Non Native Gamer" movement (N3G), or whatever.. I have considered the consequences, and would wait it out, even for a couple years!

If you take a second to consider its not difficult to envision the progression to seeing mainstreams titles popping up in the repos, apt-get install Left4Dead2 :P But seriously, first it would become the ideal platform to kickstart indie game developers, these companies would grow with the funding of abstinent gamers trying to get some action, which would cause larger companies to feel threatened. This threat would rise in the ranks until eventually guys like valve won't just be trying to get something working, they would have to! It might even become straight up profitable to port to this percentile of the market?

Some might argue why bother? Valves looks like they are trying, and hell unity is now 100% supported in linux. I would argue it is for exactly that reason we should. The time is just right. N3Gs unite!... or whatever :P

cariboo
August 17th, 2012, 06:24 AM
Moved to the Cafe, as this really isn't a game thread.

Tombgeek
August 17th, 2012, 02:28 PM
Well, I'm not much of a gamer, but I do think we should support the indie developers as much as possible, especially those who support Linux. I recently played Amnesia and I thought it was a really good game, especially one with such a small budget when compared to mediocre franchises like Call of Duty (in my opinion).

I think a lot of developers are turned off by Linux because they think they won't make money from it, which I can understand because a lot of Linux and Android users hate paying for software (and if you look at Android vs. iOS in terms of app sales revenue, iOS makes the most money, despite Android having majority market share).

With Valve supporting Linux, it could potentially spark a new era of development for Linux. There is no guarantee however. Epic Games released Unreal Tournament 2004 for Linux and as far as I know it didn't really do much for Linux game development.

expelledboy
August 17th, 2012, 02:59 PM
@tg Goeie dag!

I am a linux evangelist (not really), but to be honest in 2004 how could you compare Warty Warthog to XP from the perspective of the mass? Today it is whole different story.

Artemis3
August 17th, 2012, 08:14 PM
Without being too verbose about it, i actually am doing this. Haven't purchased any games for years, and the ones i will support, must work with linux. This includes online gaming, ie. Ryzom has a native client.

When Steam for linux is ready, I'll look back into purchasing more games.

Warpnow
August 18th, 2012, 10:10 PM
You do more by proving you will buy linux games than by saying you won't buy non-linux games.

Companies pursue profit. They don't care what you won't buy, just what you will.

zombifier25
August 19th, 2012, 03:51 AM
Linux support is one of my priorities, just not a high one. I buy games because they are good, Linux or not.
*ducks for cover

expelledboy
August 19th, 2012, 05:32 AM
That would all be part of the package. You only "buy" native linux games.

JDShu
August 19th, 2012, 05:37 AM
FWIW, I also only buy Linux games. I've broken the rule twice, when buying indie royale bundles which unlike the HiBs, supply Windows only games along with the Linux games in the bundle.

Paqman
August 19th, 2012, 07:18 AM
I have considered the consequences, and would wait it out, even for a couple years!

Wow, that long huh?

Gremlinzzz
August 19th, 2012, 02:29 PM
Haven't played all the free games available :popcorn:

100 Best Free and High Quality Linux Games

http://www.cahilig.net/2011/07/29/100-best-free-and-high-quality-linux-games

expelledboy
August 19th, 2012, 03:00 PM
Wow, that long huh?

If in two years linux doesnt have games then it likely will never happen, and a gamer has got to do what a gamer has got to do. Besides I didnt say you couldnt play the games you have already puchased. Also there are other distractions at this stage in my life which can fill the gap.... kdice :P

Paqman
August 19th, 2012, 04:03 PM
If in two years linux doesnt have games then it likely will never happen

Linux does have games, just not that many good ones. You're unlikely to see the change you want that soon. Large money-making industries have a lot of inertia, and Linux is hardly touting some kind of disruptive technology at present.

The biggest glimmer of hope I've seen lately is the fact that Valve have reported a performance boost when porting their stuff to Linux. Hardcore gamers care deeply about a couple of extra FPS, and are likely to install Linux if it'll give it to them. Those users would then become Linux evangelists within the gaming community and the games companies might take notice. It couldn't hurt Linux to become known as a high-performance platform for gaming.

You never know. I really wouldn't expect anything to change as quickly as a couple of years though. Let's come back to the question in 10 years and see how the land lies.

Petro Dawg
August 19th, 2012, 04:48 PM
I think cutting edge gaming for Ubuntu/Linux will not occur until Ubuntu/Linux becomes a popular standard OS for new computer sales. The problem I see is that most people are happy to buy gaming computers with Windows installed, but usually only install Linux when they want to resurrect a dead or dying Windows computer; at which point the computer is too outdated to run current games.

We are left with a paradox: Ubuntu will not be installed on many new computers because current games do not run on Ubuntu; and current games will not be made for Ubuntu because Ubuntu is not installed on many new computers.

The only way I see to break this cycle is for a few developers to make some insanely awesome games and release them ONLY on Ubuntu; with no Windows or Mac support. The games could not be "just as good" as current Windows games, but would have to be much better in order to give Ubuntu the kick start it needs into the gaming world.

expelledboy
August 20th, 2012, 01:52 AM
Wow. Indeed that is a good idea, but how could the community bring about having someone develop a game exclusively for linux? They make games to make money. So in reality the only way something like that could happen is if Mark Shuttleworth himself funded it.

williamwhite
August 20th, 2012, 02:54 AM
well if we get around 200 million we could do it.

BrokenKingpin
August 20th, 2012, 01:52 PM
I refuse to buy non-native Linux games for PC (as I do not run Windows), so as it stands I don't do a lot of PC gaming lol. I do most of my gaming on the PS3.

I would like to get back to PC gaming, and with Valve supporting Linux now, things can only get better for Linux gaming.

sffvba[e0rt
August 20th, 2012, 04:01 PM
This forum will be upgraded before Linux on the desktop is the primary gaming OS... but by then gaming will be done on so many other devices there will not be gaming on the desktop.

To quote Spinal Tap: "I know, for I told me so..."

Grenage
August 20th, 2012, 04:16 PM
by then gaming will be done on so many other devices there will not be gaming on the desktop."

People have been saying that for years, but I can't see serious gamers straying from the desktop. The controls and performance are simply terrible by comparison.

sffvba[e0rt
August 20th, 2012, 06:51 PM
People have been saying that for years, but I can't see serious gamers straying from the desktop. The controls and performance are simply terrible by comparison.

I am playing 3d games via my phone on an hd TV using basically any controller that comes with a recent console with performance and looks rivaling many games that didn't come out that many years ago. That time is coming fast...

expelledboy
August 20th, 2012, 07:37 PM
I never said I wanted it be the primary gaming OS. I want to play games on the operating system I use.

I gave some more thought on Petros idea, and although I am not a big fan, I think that MMOs would be the best format of game to attract an audience, and more importantly keep them coming back for more. Also it doesnt require a large team of developers.

I guess what I really want to know and discuss is, which is why I started this thread, can I do anything to aid in getting games developed for linux? I dont feel that uncoordinated donations in support of games that support linux is the best strategy for bringing about the change.

evilsoup
August 20th, 2012, 08:01 PM
To make a good MMO with a steady stream of updates - which is what you would need to attract people - I imagine you would need a fairly large team.

Grenage
August 20th, 2012, 11:42 PM
I am playing 3d games via my phone on an hd TV using basically any controller that comes with a recent console with performance and looks rivaling many games that didn't come out that many years ago. That time is coming fast...

Don't get me wrong, they've come a long way, but it's a far cry from Battelfield 3 (even PS3 can only run that on the lowest graphics) or remotely complicated MMOs.

juancarlospaco
August 21st, 2012, 01:44 AM
I agree, as a native linux to the bone Game Developer i agree, and encourage more indie dev.

Lucradia
August 21st, 2012, 02:56 PM
I hope you plan to buy Cave Story+ then via the Ubuntu Software Center. Minecraft isn't "really" native though sadly, it uses JAVA. You should all get Jeb / Dinnerbone to port to python.

sffvba[e0rt
August 21st, 2012, 02:58 PM
I hope you plan to buy Cave Story+ then. Minecraft isn't native though sadly, it uses JAVA.

So?!

Lucradia
August 21st, 2012, 02:59 PM
So?!

So that means JAVA > Python?

sffvba[e0rt
August 21st, 2012, 03:13 PM
so that means java > python?

:KS for effort...

excaliber27
August 21st, 2012, 06:17 PM
I have to admit, I have been more than apt to picking up native Linux games from Kickstarter. And there does seem to be a massive amount of content coming from various campaigns.
Unity 4 and MOAI game engines both have Linux support, while Unity 3D will only have Ubuntu support, the same as Valve. CryEngine3 is also suspected to also have support for the platform with not set confirmation.

So there is definitely an astounding movement to Linux as a gaming platform.

Todd B.
Linux Game News (http://www.linuxgamenews.com/)

Lucradia
August 21st, 2012, 06:39 PM
I have to admit, I have been more than apt to picking up native Linux games from Kickstarter. And there does seem to be a massive amount of content coming from various campaigns.
Unity 4 and MOAI game engines both have Linux support, while Unity 3D will only have Ubuntu support, the same as Valve. CryEngine3 is also suspected to also have support for the platform with not set confirmation.

So there is definitely an astounding movement to Linux as a gaming platform.

Todd B.
Linux Game News (http://www.linuxgamenews.com/)

"Support" means official troubleshooting support when it comes to that.