PDA

View Full Version : Random Google Map/Earth Question...

Roasted
August 16th, 2012, 04:35 PM
I'm trying to build up a video and I want to show a smooth transition of the country that zooms in to a specific location. Google Earth of course came to mind, but when you're zooming in it sometimes gets choppy for a second or so. Even when I let it fully cache and repeat the steps several times it acts like that.

On my Nexus 7 tablet within the Google Map (with satellite enabled) it operates just like I need to. It's smooth, quick, and well defined.

I tried Google Maps on my laptop and it just instantly snaps there. There's no transition flowing from the full United States view to Denver Colorado, etc. I was hoping for smooth transitions since, of course, I want the video to look decent and appealing.

So I guess I'm stuck at two crossroads. On one hand, I could figure out how to make Google Earth run smoother (i3 desktop, 8GB RAM, SSD) and just use Kazam to screencast it, or I can do the same with Google Maps on the computer if there's a way to somehow enable the smooth transition I'm after instead of the instantaneous "snap" to location that it currently seems to do.

The other option if the computer route is a dead end is to simply find a Kazam-like video recorder that records your entire screen into an AVI or MP4 format and do it on my tablet, which would be perfectly acceptable as well since it's far from a 320x240 resolution. I know you can take screenshots by simultaneously hitting the power and down volume button on my N7, but what about video? The tablet idea I'm 50/50 on. When you zoom in, an actual white tag appears that says Denver, Colorado. This would be easier for viewers to quickly see on the screen. On the flip side, it doesn't zoom in as far as I would prefer, BUT considering the easy to read tag to quickly identify "Denver Colorado", versus the computer versus that has text over the green landscaping which might be slightly more difficult to read on a screen, it's a minor thing to complain about.

Any ideas you guys could offer I'd greatly appreciate!

Dawnbandit
August 16th, 2012, 07:51 PM
Try enabling the fly to function, that should make it smooth.

Roasted
August 16th, 2012, 10:57 PM
Do you mean the flight simulator in Google Earth? I did try it, but it's really not what I'm after.

Jakin
August 17th, 2012, 04:56 AM
11.10amd64 here- I tested gtk record-desktop at 1366x768 after caching google earths locations, zoomed completely out, hit record full screen, entered the location and let it fly/zoom in- was all pretty smooth.

Who knows the experience of different spots you zoom into across the "google globe" though.. have you tested gtk record-desktop on this? Doesn't output avi, but the ogv is quite high quality, just convert it.

Roasted
August 17th, 2012, 01:59 PM
11.10amd64 here- I tested gtk record-desktop at 1366x768 after caching google earths locations, zoomed completely out, hit record full screen, entered the location and let it fly/zoom in- was all pretty smooth.

Who knows the experience of different spots you zoom into across the "google globe" though.. have you tested gtk record-desktop on this? Doesn't output avi, but the ogv is quite high quality, just convert it.

It's not the screencaster that's making a difference. It's the fact that Google Earth itself is not 100% smooth. I wanted it to have an effect like you're watching the Super Bowl and there's a high speed camera on a zip line. It shoots down the field seamlessly without hangups or issues, just one continuous fluid flow. While Google Earth is definitely far from bumpy, it has enough minor hangups that make it blatanly obvious when I view back the video.

Jakin
August 17th, 2012, 03:17 PM
It's not the screencaster that's making a difference. It's the fact that Google Earth itself is not 100% smooth.

But didn't you say in the first post; On your tablet it IS smooth like you want? So its not google earth itself. Maybe its something to do with your hardware.. it may also just be the version of google earth you are using.. who knows..

http://www.filedropper.com/out_1 (thats my idea of pretty darn smooth anyway..) i couldn't figure out how to get it to auto zoom all the way down, used the mouse scroll..

Obviously none of this helps you. Does the tablet have a video out, maybe you can record it that way :)

Roasted
August 17th, 2012, 08:23 PM
But didn't you say in the first post; On your tablet it IS smooth like you want? So its not google earth itself. Maybe its something to do with your hardware.. it may also just be the version of google earth you are using.. who knows..

http://www.filedropper.com/out_1 (thats my idea of pretty darn smooth anyway..) i couldn't figure out how to get it to auto zoom all the way down, used the mouse scroll..

Obviously none of this helps you. Does the tablet have a video out, maybe you can record it that way :)

Tablet does not have video out. Ironically I always wondered why video out matters on tablets and here is the first (and likely only) time I'm even somewhat "oh man" over not having video out on a tablet. Useless feature to me otherwise. Go figure...

Could be Google Earth, I don't know. It's just not as smooth as I want. Google Maps with satellite view on the tablet is exactly the way I want, but it seems like screencasting on tablets is, for whatever reason, borderline impossible. :(

Er, actually - you called it. I just tried it on my laptop and it's significantly smoother than my desktop. My desktop is an i3 with 8GB of RAM and SSD disk... I wonder why that is? I can only imagine it's due to the fact I'm running dual screen monitors with different resolution and refresh rates on that desktop with the Nvidia graphics card. I can see screen tearing now and then on videos as a result of the different refresh rates... I'd be curious to fire the desktop up with a single monitor and see how it does in Google Earth... At any rate, I think this will do fine!

BrianBlaze
August 17th, 2012, 08:27 PM
Could it be the specs of your PC and that it is the reason? what happens if you do it on google's website from the PC? Or the opposite install google earth :)

Jakin
August 17th, 2012, 08:42 PM
Roasted, if you are using the Google Earth app, on PC. Try going into options and tweaking the "fly to" speed, maybe you can find a sweet spot where everything is smooth :D

Guess i needed to get a land-mark to get it to zoom down far enough.
Jakin's hometown, lol. http://www.filedropper.com/out_2

Er, actually - you called it. I just tried it on my laptop and it's significantly smoother than my desktop. My desktop is an i3 with 8GB of RAM and SSD disk... I wonder why that is? I can only imagine it's due to the fact I'm running dual screen monitors with different resolution and refresh rates on that desktop with the Nvidia graphics card. I can see screen tearing now and then on videos as a result of the different refresh rates... I'd be curious to fire the desktop up with a single monitor and see how it does in Google Earth... At any rate, I think this will do fine!

Oh i didn't notice this edit- Awesome then ;D My laptop is SSD hybrid; with ATi graphics, i figure this is a big reason why its smooth for me.
Good luck with your project!!