PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] best way to install gnome 3

jamaas
August 16th, 2012, 03:44 PM
What is the best way to install gnome 3 for 12.04. I've tried several methods and it still just hangs, when I login I get the background wallpaper screen but no icons, or taskbars so can not go any further.

I'm running kernel 3.2.0-29-generic
graphics driver is NVIDIA GT218
monitor is benq G2420HD

I've read many faq's and tried numerous things but still no luck. Any suggestions most welcome.

It might be best to diagnose where the problem is with current install but I don't know how. It gets so close to completing!

Thanks

Jim

nomorn
August 16th, 2012, 07:17 PM
If I remember correctly, I just ticked the "gnome-shell" package in synaptic package manager and installed, that's it.

PaulInBHC
August 16th, 2012, 08:26 PM
There are a few threads about losing the desktop with unity but no one seems to come up with any fix. It is getting to be too many to just be a fluke.

jamaas
August 16th, 2012, 08:36 PM
There are a few threads about losing the desktop with unity but no one seems to come up with any fix. It is getting to be too many to just be a fluke.

Thanks Paul,

That is the problem, I've done a lot of work trying to get either unity or gnome 3 to work properly and neither does. My hardware is all quite standard, so I'm quite disappointed. I think ubuntu has taken a big step backwards and it must be very hard to fix!

Thanks

J