PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu 12.04 with Pantheon DE

Ariya243
August 16th, 2012, 09:17 AM
Just installed Pantheon desktop environment on Ubuntu 12.04 32 bits. It is really fast. I am surprised at the speed of response. Have to be pretty careful with mouse clicks, or 2 windows would open. Its applications are quite good. I wonder why Elementary Team won't release its OS yet?

Firefox works faster too.

How do you like it?:)

viperdvman
August 16th, 2012, 12:16 PM
It actually looks like a heavily modified GNOME Shell to me... so it's probably another fork of it like Cinnamon is. I must say, it looks pretty nice. And for you, it seems to be working very well too. I dunno why Elementary OS doesn't release Luna yet... I know they've been working on it for eons.

Ariya243
August 16th, 2012, 12:27 PM
It actually looks like a heavily modified GNOME Shell to me... so it's probably another fork of it like Cinnamon is. I must say, it looks pretty nice. And for you, it seems to be working very well too. I dunno why Elementary OS doesn't release Luna yet... I know they've been working on it for eons.

They say when they are ready. I tried to install the unstable Luna, but it only worked well as live CD, but didn't when installed. Even as a live CD, it worked so fast, I was surprised. Then I thought I'd install from the Elementary Team at Launchpad on my Ubuntu 12.04, and it worked. It finds apps, files quite quickly. It is not like Cinnamon, as it has a lot of their own apps, practically entirely with their apps. Their Terminal is prettier, their marlin is better than Nautilus and you don't need to go as root to change permissions. I am going to play with it for a while. I'd install Pantheon on Ubuntu 12.10 too. I haven't found any bugs that would bug me in 12.10.

Have a nice day!

Ariya243
August 16th, 2012, 03:52 PM
Here is Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal with Pantheon DE and original Elementary OS wallpaper. Pretty fast. Apps, files could be found much easier than in Unity.

Quantal is fully updated and upgraded.

What do you think?

forrestcupp
August 16th, 2012, 04:02 PM
I think it looks pretty interesting. I don't think the tiny, numbered page buttons at the bottom of the menu look very intuitive, though.

y6FgBn)~v
August 16th, 2012, 06:36 PM
The Arch community seems to be enjoying the discussion :popcorn:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=991234#p991234

forrestcupp
August 16th, 2012, 09:51 PM
The Arch community seems to be enjoying the discussion :popcorn:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=991234#p991234

That was from a year ago.

V for Vincent
August 16th, 2012, 10:52 PM
Despite the often excessive Apple resemblances, I do feel that Elementary is looking pretty impressive. Pantheon feels faster than GNOME shell for me in any case, but that might just be because shell's search screen suffers from lag on my machine for some reason. I also like the workflow they're aiming for.

In any case, the Luna beta doesn't seem to be that far off anymore. I'll definitely give it a spin when it's here.

y6FgBn)~v
August 16th, 2012, 11:54 PM
That was from a year ago.

Yeah I know, you would think it might have progressed a bit farther, attention deficit rears its ugly head yet again. :P