PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] C, Code::Blocks 10.05, Xubuntu 12.04, segmentation fault (core dumped)

FlameFactory
August 16th, 2012, 02:43 AM
Trying to execute simple program, but result is "segmentation fault (core dumped)". what i'm doing wrong?)

/* In C */
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

int main()
{
unsigned long int i;
unsigned long int max=9999999;
unsigned short int N[max];
for (i=0; i<max; i++)
{
N[i]=1;
};
//printf("%d\n",N[max-1]);
return 0;
}

Some Penguin
August 16th, 2012, 03:04 AM
Don't try to allocate massive arrays on the stack.

Also, trying to store a long int in space for a short int is trouble, and means that you'll be writing bytes outside of the array. Don't do that.

FlameFactory
August 16th, 2012, 03:10 AM
So what can I do if i need to store in memory array of at least 10^8 int values?

Bachstelze
August 16th, 2012, 03:36 AM
Also, trying to store a long int in space for a short int is trouble, and means that you'll be writing bytes outside of the array. Don't do that.

I agree with "don't do that", but not with what precedes.

So what can I do if i need to store in memory array of at least 10^8 int values?

Use malloc() to allocate memory on the heap, not on the stack.

Some Penguin
August 16th, 2012, 04:56 AM
Hm, true. C will simply drop the 'excess' bytes resulting in a horrible type conversion if you're doing a straight assignment and not, say, a memcpy. The folks at Oracle recently found that there was a highly embarrassing bug for a related reason -- MySQL taking the return value of memcmp and shoving it into a byte, which in certain situations meant that an incorrect password would actually be treated as if it were correct.

FlameFactory
August 16th, 2012, 08:17 AM
I agree with "don't do that", but not with what precedes.

Use malloc() to allocate memory on the heap, not on the stack.

thanks.