PDA

View Full Version : Adobe Flash Player exits Android Google Play store

philinux
August 15th, 2012, 06:49 PM
http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19267140

Annoying. Also this would be rubbish without flash. And html5 is way off .

http://androidcommunity.com/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-android-4-1-jelly-bean-leaked-on-video-20120815/

http://www.pcworld.com/article/260901/android_flash_player_rip_how_to_get_it_now_that_it s_gone.html

KiwiNZ
August 15th, 2012, 09:34 PM
Farewell Flash, now give me back all that electricity you stole from me.

sffvba[e0rt
August 16th, 2012, 05:52 AM
As frustrating as Flash was/is... I still need it currently :/

Primefalcon
August 16th, 2012, 07:37 AM
Well hopefully this will speed up the flash death since Android is the #1 most used smart phone OS in the world!

smartboyhw
August 16th, 2012, 08:00 AM
Yeah, Flash meets Apple, gets dumped, and decided to close Flash once and for all.

philinux
August 16th, 2012, 08:29 AM
Well hopefully this will speed up the flash death since Android is the #1 most used smart phone OS in the world!

If it does in time for html5 or something else to take over then great.

But it runs fine on my Galaxy. Battery life is not an issue.

Erik1984
August 16th, 2012, 09:58 AM
As frustrating as Flash was/is... I still need it currently :/

Yes sadly it is, even Google's own video service still serves many videos as Flash for desktop users, even though I'm participating in the html5 experiment.

Kreaninw
August 16th, 2012, 02:30 PM
It's still there in the Play Store. I just installed it today on ICS. To install Flash, you account must had Flash installed before 15 August 2012. Then, go to all apps tab in the Play Store, it's there. :)

As I can see, HTML5 and any others browser-base tech is a mess. Because we have too many browsers(5 difference kinds, old and new.) to work with. In the end, nothing better than Flash.

Let's see alternatives. NaCl which only supports in Google Chrome, other browsers refuse to support it, not to mention not all feature supported on all platform.

JavaScript, not support on all browsers with the same/similar performance. Most of actually projects were pretty simple unlike NaCl.

CSS3, has compatibility issue with older browsers. And often, it still needs slow JavaScript in most work case.

HTML5, the language that no browser seems to obey. At least, not as fast as the spec goes.

Plug-in is the future. If it's not, please tell the SUPER COOL 5 star browsers to, at least, use the same video extension and codec, same with font and audio file.

Copper Bezel
August 16th, 2012, 02:49 PM
Well, no, there are going to be two codecs, because MS insists on being proprietary. But with Flash not provided on Windows 8 outside of the legacy desktop, content providers will have actual incentive to switch over. It'll be unpleasant for a while, but it's better than depending on Adobe. And really, HTML ought to be able to cover these basic things without plugins.

Dawnbandit
August 16th, 2012, 07:49 PM
Is Adobe trying to tick us Linux Users off? It seems like it...

KiwiNZ
August 16th, 2012, 08:22 PM
The end of Flash is a good thing.

philinux
August 16th, 2012, 09:35 PM
The end of Flash is a good thing.

+1 it's the transition that's going to be a pain.:P

KiwiNZ
August 16th, 2012, 10:24 PM
+1 it's the transition that's going to be a pain.:P

Aye t'is true, but I have not been using Flash for a long time so no withdrawal pain for me.

vexorian
August 17th, 2012, 06:49 AM
Everyone is missing one thing: The pepper flash plugin.

What this looks like is really that Adobe is taking advantage of its deal with google to save up on working for mobile platforms. The chrome-only flash plugin supposedly works in any platform that runs chrome, so android is likely not gone from Android, it has just become Chrome-exclusive just like in Linux.

Copper Bezel
August 17th, 2012, 07:38 AM
If so, that's not true yet, at least. Chrome for Android is a different beast and has no Pepper plugins so far as I know. I get the all-too-familiar black box asking me to install Adobe Flash player on Jellybean.

LinuxCurmudgeon
August 17th, 2012, 07:41 AM
This. I don't see flash going anywhere anytime soon. Relax.

Copper Bezel
August 17th, 2012, 06:04 PM
Huh. Chromium blog entry (http://blog.chromium.org/2012/08/the-road-to-safer-more-stable-and.html) that clarifies some things, particularly with some of the more useful comments. I didn't realize that there was a plan to make Flash available in Metro world, and I didn't realize that Chrome switched to PPAPI Flash in Linux before Windows.

I noticed that Android's Chrome does make some references to PPAPI, too. Not that that has anything to do with Flash specifically.