PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Lock screen vs. Login screen

newb85
August 14th, 2012, 11:56 PM
This is certainly not game-changing or life-altering, but a question about Ubuntu has been nagging at me.

Why is it that when a user locks the screen (or the screen is locked due to inactivity), the machine doesn't simply go straight to the login screen. The little dialogue that is shown has nothing to offer that the login screen doesn't have. And if the next person to sit down at the machine wants to log in as a different user, they have to click "Switch User" and go through the login screen anyway.

While I'm throwing out questions about logging in, does anyone know why it takes considerably longer for Ubuntu to respond to an incorrect password than to the correct one? Is there some special analysis that must be run on incorrect passwords to make sure they're still not acceptable?

I'll try not to lose any sleep...

andrew3
August 15th, 2012, 05:40 AM
"does anyone know why it takes considerably longer for Ubuntu to respond to an incorrect password than to the correct one?"
I've always guessed that it was to prevent people brute forcing passwords via the system's utilities. Maybe I'm wrong though... ;)

Moose
August 15th, 2012, 05:56 AM
I don't know whether or not the guy above me is correct. But if the password delay isn't on purpose then you have come up with a brilliant idea. That wouldn't entirely stop brute force but it could delay it and slow it down. Also for your actuall problem with lock screen, i wouldn't know :/

-Anarchy

Frogs Hair
August 15th, 2012, 03:07 PM
Why is it that when a user locks the screen (or the screen is locked due to inactivity), the machine doesn't simply go straight to the login screen.

At least for me I like that when I unlock the screen I am still logged in the same desktop environment . Sometimes if I am called away applications are open and tasks are not finished. If the computer returned to login I would have to start over. Between Ubuntu and Gnome I have 5 possible sessions to login to. I don't notice long time delays for a wrong password.

newb85
August 16th, 2012, 12:19 PM
At least for me I like that when I unlock the screen I am still logged in the same desktop environment . Sometimes if I am called away applications are open and tasks are not finished. If the computer returned to login I would have to start over. Between Ubuntu and Gnome I have 5 possible sessions to login to. I don't notice long time delays for a wrong password.

In my experience, your first statement is incorrect. If you go to "Switch User", you go through the login screen, but open applications and running tasks are not lost.

One reason I thought I preferred the login screen is that it has a volume control, so if music is left playing and the screen locks, the volume can still be adjusted without logging in. However, this is a moot point, since music stops playing when switching to the login screen.