PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] KVM not working properly in 12.04

toontu
August 14th, 2012, 06:38 PM
Hi,

I have two desktops both running Ubuntu, not the same version though. I use KVM so that I can jump between the two without having extra peripherals. It worked very well in the previous versions of Ubuntu. But ever since I upgraded one of the desktops to 12.04, bad things come. Basically, the 12.04 desktop will stop sending signals to the screen after I switch to the other desktop. The other one is fine.

I mainly use the 12.04 desktop and ssh to the other one but occasionally I need to switch to the other one.

This is quite annoying. Is it something to do with the graphic card driver or something else?

Any advice is appreciated. Cheers.

kansasnoob
August 15th, 2012, 08:38 AM
Might it be this bug:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-intel/+bug/988290

If so it might help a little to mark it effects me too. I'm not very satisfied with any of the work-arounds mentioned there but I hope to increase the heat on that bug enough to get it fixed :)

toontu
August 15th, 2012, 10:33 AM
Thanks, kansasnoob. It looks quite relevant. I am also experiencing the resolution change issue. Just sometimes, it's changing the resolution and some other time, it's going blank completely and becomes unresponsive.

Anyway, I tried one of the workarounds mentioned in the page you posted, which is purge gnome-screensaver. It works OK for me. So far, the screen doesn't go blank any more, but resolution change is still occurring. Well, that's a good step forward for me. Hope the bug can be fixed asap.

Many thanks for your help. Have a good day.