PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Mobile Phone Management

Geffers
August 14th, 2012, 02:45 PM
At a guess many Linux users also have mobile phones with the android OS.

There is an excellent client program for android phones called myphone explorer but the required server only runs on windows.

Tried it using wine but no luck.

Anyone had any success with mobile phone apps.

Geffers

huggs
August 14th, 2012, 05:13 PM
You could set up the Android sdk in Ubuntu, it includes the adb bridge, and if you want to develop apps and such, Eclipse is also available in Ubuntu. Unfortunately, Windows is still the dominant desktop OS, so alot of the programs used for Android phones are written only for Windows, even though Android's software stack runs atop a modified Linux kernel.
If you're into Android modding/dev'ing, dual booting Linux and Windows is your best bet. If you just want to manage your sd card contents, that's still possible in Ubuntu. Just about everything else can be done on your phone anyways, like backing up contacts, apps, nandroid backups, etc and then you can transfer your backups and such to your Linux pc just by plugging your phone to your comp.

Geffers
August 14th, 2012, 05:54 PM
If you're into Android modding/dev'ing, dual booting Linux and Windows is your best bet. If you just want to manage your sd card contents, that's still possible in Ubuntu. Just about everything else can be done on your phone anyways, like backing up contacts, apps, nandroid backups, etc and then you can transfer your backups and such to your Linux pc just by plugging your phone to your comp.

I do have dual boot but Vista takes an eternity to boot plus I can't recall the last time I logged on to it.

MyPhone Explorer is brilliant, works by wifi or USB and makes tweaking the address book simple.

I suppose I ** could ** suffer windows on occasions.

Geffers