PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Applications Menu Icon and System Menu in Gnome Classic?

Spice002
August 14th, 2012, 05:55 AM
I'm planning on installing Ubuntu 12.04 on on my main computer soon, but before doing that, I ran it in a virtual machine to see about getting the old Gnome UI on it. I was happy to see the Gnome Classic option for 3.4, but there are two details that bother me about it: 1.) the Applications menu at the top is lacking the icon (the Ubuntu logo or Gnome logo) that it had in previous versions of Gnome (I am aware there is an "Main Menu" in the add to panel which is just the icon, but I'm not satisfied with that). And 2.) The "System" menu seems to have been moved from the panel (right next to "Places") to the Applications menu. Is there any way of changing these things?

Buntu Bunny
August 14th, 2012, 04:40 PM
I can't say I have an answer to those questions but I've been reading a lot of threads on Gnome and Gnome classic (not being a Unity fan myself). No one has mentioned the icon by the applications menu, but others don't like the systems menu being incorporated into applications > system tools, either! No one has come forth with a fix however.

I find Gnome classic no effects, to be closest to the good old Gnome I'm familiar with (from 10.04 and before). It's not exactly the same, but it's close. There's a real good thread on how to tweak it - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1966370.

HTH.

Spice002
August 15th, 2012, 01:20 AM
Thanks for the info. A strange thing just happened. I was looking up more information on this while some updates were installing on the VM, and after starting it back up, the Ubuntu logo was next to the Applications menu, just how I wanted it to be. I hadn't done anything other than installing those updates and settling on adding the "Main Menu" to the panel.
Now all that's left is to somehow get the System menu added. Is there maybe a tweak for custom drop down menus where I can add my own System menu (kind of like the "Drawers" feature only with text instead of just icons).

Buntu Bunny
August 15th, 2012, 02:06 AM
A strange thing just happened. I was looking up more information on this while some updates were installing on the VM, and after starting it back up, the Ubuntu logo was next to the Applications menu, just how I wanted it to be.

Mine too!

If you get the systems menu figured out, please do post about it. I think a number of people would be interested.