PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem installing ubuntu

Leeen
August 13th, 2012, 07:53 PM
Hi, I'm very new in linux.
I'm trying to install ubuntu 12.04 in my laptop (Acer 5100 - 1GB - 2.0Ghz with Windows 7)
I used unetbootin to set the image in a pen drive. When i boot from the pen drive, appears the unetbootin menu and i choose Install Ubuntu. It appears to start but suddenly stop and show me this:
busybox v1.18.5 (ubuntu 1:1.18.5-1ubuntu4) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.
(initramfs) Unable to find a medium containing a live file system

Thanks for any help

robtygart
August 13th, 2012, 08:25 PM
http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/unetbootin/raw-attachment/wiki/MiscWikiFiles/unetbootin-windows7.png

Did you download the ISO image or are you trying to download it using unetbootin?

If you have the ISO images on your computer, did you click the "Disk Images" bubble?

Or you could Distribution and choose Ubuntu/Kubuntu/.... from the menu and it will download it from the web.

ajgreeny
August 13th, 2012, 08:31 PM
The first thing to do is check the md5sum of the .iso image file you have against the listed values at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuHashes.

There are links there to show you how to do that from both windows and linux, if you are not sure. If the value is not identical, you will need to download the iso file again, preferably using a torrent client, as that will check the hash sums as it downloads.

Leeen
August 13th, 2012, 08:34 PM
I already had the image. I click the "Disk Images" bubble and search for the image. I tried with 12.04 and 11.04 and i have the same problem

Leeen
August 14th, 2012, 02:15 AM
ajgreeny,
I've checked the md5sum and is exactly the same

intel
August 16th, 2012, 04:53 PM
unetbootin is know to have problems

luckily the debian/ubuntu linux isos are easy to simply dd
you need an image writer(Eg. Win32DiskImage.exe etc.)
- OR -
if u have access to a linux machine simply use the
dd command to write the iso to usb drive

cheers!

Leeen
August 16th, 2012, 06:07 PM
I've tried with Win32DiskImage.exe and Linux Live USB creator and still have the same problem
The purple screen with the word Ubuntu appears and then the error

mastablasta
August 17th, 2012, 09:12 AM
have you tried a different USB? perhaps it has errors.

you cna also try with a CD though it's not as fast.