PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] installing 12.04 on an old machine (install stuck?)

LLCoolJeff
August 13th, 2012, 09:29 AM
I have a suspicion that unity doesn't play well with my graphics card which is what forced me into xubuntu on my new machine. I remembered I had an old machine laying around and thought I would try it on that to see if anything worked better...

I put the x32 install cd in after burning it on my new machine, and rebooted...
Now it is stuck at the purple Ubuntu screen with the dots below it and has been stuck there for about a half hour (I assume now it is really stuck?)

I'm going to try it again but is there any reason this would happen/any way around it?

Old Machine (old not ancient)

Intel celeron 1.6 ghz
not sure how much ram (has to be 512 at least)
model is gateway MA2A

LLCoolJeff
August 13th, 2012, 09:59 AM
UPDATE: I just made a new CD at the slowest burn speed with no different results.

Another thing I noticed is that the dots underneath where it says Ubuntu were "moving foward" and then they stopped, and they are all orange and the Cd drive stopped spinning....

Any ideas?

mastablasta
August 13th, 2012, 01:38 PM
hard to say. if oyu hit esc during that screen it might show where it got stuc, but even that won't mean much.

did you try any of the boot options? https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions
what GPU do you have?

can you try Lubuntu (i think it has different nonPAE kernel) or mini iso (and then add Xubutnu desktop to it)?