PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Can't boot into my own profile (the root user) "could not write bytes; broken pipers

MikeDRUBLIC
August 13th, 2012, 12:51 AM
Hello everybody,
I am stuck with my xubuntu because it doesn't let me boot into my own user profile (which is the root). One week ago it didn't allow me to enter to any profile, and the answer to the login was "stopping v system runlevel compatibility." SO I checked out the forum, updated the packages in the Ctrl+Alt+F1 mode and now it allows me to enter as a guest, but not as the main user, and the answer is "could not write bytes; broken pipers. Saned disabled."Anybody able to help me? Please be patient, I'm a beginner

Paddy Landau
August 19th, 2012, 02:09 PM
I think you may have a serious problem in that you were using root as your main user. You should never, ever, do that — the security model insists on it.

I'm sorry, I do not know how to solve your problem. The best bet, I think, is to boot into a Live CD; back up all your data; and reinstall Xubuntu from scratch.

You may be able to recover your system as follows, but I cannot promise that it will work:

Boot into Recovery Mode > Drop to root shell prompt.
Create a new user (I'll assume mike, but you can choose your own):
adduser --group mike mike
Restart (the command to do so is reboot).

After you have done this, please do not log into root again This is unsupported and, as you have found out, can cause problems.