PDA

View Full Version : What Linux Distro do you have on your laptop?

JF382
August 13th, 2012, 12:07 AM
What Linux Distro do you have on your laptop? And if it is Ubuntu based, please post the name like, LUbuntu, XUbuntu, etc. Thanks, looking for a good distro for laptops.

Bachstelze
August 13th, 2012, 12:37 AM
Ubuntu. Actually I use XFCE but I insist on calling it Ubuntu. To me the distinction between Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, etc. is artificial. It's all Ubuntu.

Primefalcon
August 13th, 2012, 12:47 AM
10.04 with netbook remix desktop and staying on that until end of life for the netbook, and will change to 12.04 once its end of lifed

using 12.04 on my desktop and if wayland is going to be in 14.04 I'll probably stay on 12.04 until end of life.... a change tat big is going to have a lot of bugs

drawkcab
August 13th, 2012, 12:48 AM
You can install anything you want on a laptop. What qualities are you looking for specifically?

Jakin
August 13th, 2012, 12:49 AM
To me the distinction between Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, etc. is artificial. It's all Ubuntu.

Grub thinks so too, it says "Ubuntu with linux (kernal version here)" regardless which version,Ubuntu. haha

I use Kubuntu 11.10 amd64, i was using 12.04 but the bugs were annoying me, when i get around to upgrading back to it, i hope fixes are issued.

Uncle Spellbinder
August 13th, 2012, 12:53 AM
I'm using half the space on my laptop testing and trying out distros. Dual booting with Windows 7. As of this moment, I'm using SolusOS 2 (Alpha 5). A brilliant light-weight Debian based distro. Absolutely love it so far.

uRock
August 13th, 2012, 12:59 AM
Ubuntu 11.10 on the HP and Ubunto 12.04 on the netbook.

VinDSL
August 13th, 2012, 01:05 AM
Peppermint Two OS (a Lubuntu fork) on my portables.

LXDE/Openbox DE (Ubu 12.10 dev release) on my desktop.

Paqman
August 13th, 2012, 01:11 AM
looking for a good distro for laptops.

What are the specs of your laptop, and what will you be using it for? Do you like a super stable but old system, or something cutting edge but that requires constant tuning? Do you want a rolling release distro? Do you want easy access to proprietary bits, or something totally open source?

Give us some more info and we can make some recommendations.

robtygart
August 13th, 2012, 01:14 AM
Tell us more about the laptop, I am running Kubuntu & Ubuntu, both are smooth. If it is a netbook Kubuntu also has some nice features for that too.

phrak
August 13th, 2012, 01:48 AM
Ubuntu-server on my... you guessed it, server...

Ubuntu-alt on my laptop, built up with just programs I want/need to function

Lubuntu on my kids ancient Dell Latitude 9200

I've done a lot of distro hopping and was on Arch for a long time. But with me in school, I just don't have the time so now all my computers are on LTS versions..

frodowiz
August 13th, 2012, 01:54 AM
Ubuntu-server on my... you guessed it, server...

Ubuntu-alt on my laptop, built up with just programs I want/need to function

Lubuntu on my kids ancient Dell Latitude 9200

I've done a lot of distro hopping and was on Arch for a long time. But with me in school, I just don't have the time so now all my computers are on LTS versions..

i use ubuntu with xfce4, i play with kde, enlightenment.
i have puppy 5.2 for fun and speed and also discovered crunch bang which i like for debian reasons. i also keep a memory card with parted magic in my card slot for those times i want to make an image or backup. i forget my model laptop but it is hp about 3 years oldish 2 cores 2100ghz i believe with nvidia.
bought it just before they improved it with 1 core, smaller drive and less memory :)

Ubun2to
August 13th, 2012, 02:02 AM
Experimenting with Lubuntu 12.04 on an old server (I chose Lubuntu, as I had 0.5 GB of RAM before I stuck some new DDR1 sticks in it). I tried installing Ubuntu Server, but it never switched out to 1280x1024, so I got nothing to display, so I had no idea what was going on.
Anyway, I setup the Lubuntu 12.04 server running RAID 0 via a PCI card, and I am working on converting Lubuntu into a server by setting up Samba, which was the only thing I ever needed on it, anyway.
I have Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on my desktop and laptop. I plan on upgrading all my versions when possible to ensure compatibility.

wykedengel
August 13th, 2012, 02:28 AM
12.04 LTS with Gnome Shell and a smooth 3.5 Kernel.

vexorian
August 13th, 2012, 03:23 AM
My 3 years old Acer netbook (Aspire One D250) has ubuntu 12.04 running on it. It is fine, I am just using fallback (classic) gnome. On it, (metacity without compositing). I use maximus (toggled not to auto-maximize, so it only removes window borders from maximized windows) and a single top panel with the taskbar to save space.

velojym
August 13th, 2012, 03:53 AM
I have Backtrack 5 on my Compaq, but I'm considering a netbook remix partition for my old XP Aspire One.

drawkcab
August 13th, 2012, 04:48 AM
MSI 1651--Voyager Live respin of Xubuntu

eeepc 900a--xubuntu

Lenovo x120e--Luninux (but I really haven't decided what to stick with)

I've been playing around with Luninux, Pinguy, Linux Mint and LMDE, Bodhi, Crunchbang, pear and soulos lately.

I usually stick around ubuntu-based distros because they work best with all the crazy printers at work.

LinuxCurmudgeon
August 13th, 2012, 06:15 AM
I run Xubuntu 12.04 runs real good.

squenson
August 13th, 2012, 06:28 AM
On my 2003 Compaq laptop, with 768MB of RAM, I have installed LUbuntu 12.04 and it works pretty fast.

On my 2009 laptop, I follow the six-month release pattern of Ubuntu, usually with a delay of four to six weeks in order to get most of the bugs out of the way, so now I have 12.04.

LinuxCurmudgeon
August 13th, 2012, 06:33 AM
Btw, nice to meet you again, been a linux user for a long time and have been a "lurker" forever.
since 94

Ariya243
August 13th, 2012, 09:42 AM
Black Opal 64 with all the eye candy and blings. Also Ubuntu 12.04 and 12.10 with which I play making other distros - Zorin 7, Mint 14, Pinguy 12.10 etc.

And Black Opal 32 bits lookalike for my wife's 32 bits netbook with certain applications uninstalled. I made my own Mint/Ubuntu 13 and would be doing Ubuntu/Mint 14 Cinnamon with Quantal. Not all the apps are needed, only Cinnamon and a different MDM theme. Zorin 7 & Pinguy 12.10 are already done, but not interested in continuing with them.

Black Opal 64 is the most polished Ubuntu remix, I have seen yet. I'd be making another Australian jewel--don't know how Moebius might name it--with Quantal, but of course, await Moebius' creation, which would be a jewel!

Have a nice day!

By the way, I am not a geek, but a user:D

Ariya:D

afixane
August 13th, 2012, 10:01 AM
#1 : netbook

1.Ubuntu 12.04, Minimal install with Openbox
2.Xubuntu 12.04

#2 : Notebook
1.Xubuntu 12.04
2.Bodhi Linux
3.Arch! (Archbang)

#3 : Virtual Box
1.Puppy Linux
2.#!
3.DSL

Dragonbite
August 13th, 2012, 01:42 PM
Ubuntu 12.04.

Once I found I could resize the dock and make it smaller (14" non-widescreen 1024x768 max resolution, space is a premium) and make it disappear but adjust the sensitivity, I have been sticking with Ubuntu.

I used Xubuntu for a while and that was a good 2nd choice. Before that it was a lot of switching between Fedora(KDE) and openSUSE (KDE) as well as using Ubuntu and Gnome-shell.

Only thing I don't like is Ubuntu shows me a low internet connection. It is connected, but it doesn't show as strong of a signal as Windows does on the same machine.

My other laptop(s) run openSUSE 12.1 because it was the first distro that handles my Intel video (i815 issue) fully, at least with KDE.

My 3rd laptop is running Chrome OS (a Cr-48 ).

machapungo
August 13th, 2012, 01:47 PM
What Linux Distro do you have on your laptop? And if it is Ubuntu based, please post the name like, LUbuntu, XUbuntu, etc. Thanks, looking for a good distro for laptops.
Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon. Cinnamon Rocks!!!

OrangeCrate
August 13th, 2012, 02:37 PM
Xubuntu 12.04, on an IBM ThinkPad T43

philinux
August 13th, 2012, 03:37 PM
Acer 1410. Ubuntu 12.10

danyc05
August 13th, 2012, 04:12 PM
Ubuntu 12.04 with Windows 7 on virtualbox on a Toshiba Satellite L505.

irv
August 13th, 2012, 04:32 PM
I have an older Dell Inspiron 1521 with 4gig RAM (which is max). Just installed a 180gig SSD and running pure Ubuntu 12.04 64bit. Boots up in 15 seconds and apps load instantly. No lag. I am having one problem with lockups once in awhile. It only happens when I am running videos or scrolling to fast. Still working on the casuse.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2008813&page=5
Overall for an older laptop it runs very fast.

effenberg0x0
August 13th, 2012, 05:14 PM
My main laptop is a ASUS K43E with "some" upgrades. It's a i5-2410M, 6GB RAM (I can't make it work with more than 6), Corsair SATA3 90GB SSD (moved from previous laptop - Lenovo - which I miss). This is by far the worst laptop I've ever had, so I had to replace cpu cooler, line in/out jacks and some other internal parts, make a new air vent (dremel), etc... Next step will be adding 4G support to it and replacing LCD backlighting. It's a Frankenstein at this point.

Anyway, the main OS is Ubuntu PP 64-Bit. A testing partition is updated everyday with Ubuntu QQ 64-Bit (Development Release). 4 local VMs with Ubuntu PP/QQ 32/64, W7-64 Professional (mainly to edit Office 2010 documents, work stuff). I have some other stuff, like Fedora, Debian, even ReactOS, but this is just for fun and I rarely use them in this machine. All other Ubuntu and other OS installs are on the LAN in VMs I rdesktop to from this laptop or any other machine.

Regards,
Effenberg

OGpmpdog
August 13th, 2012, 06:04 PM
Hi all,

I use a 5-year old bullet-proof T61(IBM/Lenovo). dual-core CPU, 2GB of RAM.

I run Lucid on sda1, even though an update borked the graphics effects, LL runs perfectly..I was bummed that LL will be EOL in less than 9 months.

I also run Precise on sda2. The graphics effects are clunky at times, but what do you expect from a 5-year old graphics card? Beyond this, both Gnome3/Unity work very well.

FYI,my laptop runs hotter when i use firefox, and cooler when I use chromium.

irv
August 13th, 2012, 06:17 PM
Hi all,

I use a 5-year old bullet-proof T61(IBM/Lenovo). dual-core CPU, 2GB of RAM.

I run Lucid on sda1, even though an update borked the graphics effects, LL runs perfectly..I was bummed that LL will be EOL in less than 9 months.

I also run Precise on sda2. The graphics effects are clunky at times, but what do you expect from a 5-year old graphics card? Beyond this, both Gnome3/Unity work very well.

FYI,my laptop runs hotter when i use firefox, and cooler when I use chromium.

I see you have 2gig of RAM. I just wanted to mention that when I boosted my ram from 2 to 4 gig it made a world of difference in speed. To me this is a cheap upgrade if you can do it.

Dragonbite
August 13th, 2012, 06:57 PM
I see you have 2gig of RAM. I just wanted to mention that when I boosted my ram from 2 to 4 gig it made a world of difference in speed. To me this is a cheap upgrade if you can do it.

For work I have a Thinkpad T61 with dual-core and it can not only handle 4 GB of ram, but 64 bit as well!

(too bad my Thinkpad is single-core and maxed out with 2 GB of RAM :( ).

Mikeb85
August 13th, 2012, 07:17 PM
I've got openSUSE 12.2 Gnome on a brand new ThinkPad T530.

irv
August 13th, 2012, 07:28 PM
For work I have a Thinkpad T61 with dual-core and it can not only handle 4 GB of ram, but 64 bit as well!

(too bad my Thinkpad is single-core and maxed out with 2 GB of RAM :( ).

I also have one old no-name laptop with the m-processor (mobile) that can only handle 1 gig of RAM. I have Ubuntu Studio 12.04 with the Xfce DE running on it and it seems to to the job (running a sound system) but a little on the slow side.

jemadux
August 13th, 2012, 07:37 PM
in my laptop i got ubuntu but in old machine i got arch

Ariya243
August 14th, 2012, 04:55 AM
Distrowatch had finally introduced Black Opal 64 as Oz Unity. Download it and try. You'd not want another Ubuntu distro (Hmmm...remix) :)

Anyway, I always believed that something is wrong with Distrowatch, as it doesn't watch for distros. Distrowatch only wants to make money, I believe...

Oz Unity would release a 32 bit distro in a few weeks!:)

Have a nice day!

Ariya

Sunships
August 14th, 2012, 12:46 PM
I use Crunchbang 10 on my netbook and my (ancient) laptop - surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet, but despite its minimalistic nature I find it to be very polished. It passed the everything just works test on both machines, first time :)

kazuya
August 14th, 2012, 01:44 PM
I dual boot Bridge Linux 64 bit XFCE version (Based on Archbang / Arch) and ZorinOS (Based on Ubuntu)
My spouse uses Ubuntu 10.10 - Still runs like a champ on her Asus laptop (About 3 years now)
On my very old machines, I test out archbang, bridge linux, vector linux, anti-X, and zorin OS lite. Archbang and Bridge Linux have a slight advantage over the rest in terms of performance. This machine is so old (Pentium 3 processor) that flash videos push the cpu to 100% usage. Might have to just toss the machine.

DarkAmbient
August 14th, 2012, 03:39 PM

Hardware: Acer Ferrari 3200, bought it in 2004. (~1.7ghz single-core, 512MB DDR1, Sucky mobile ATI gpu)
Sofware: Arch Linux w/ xfce. Boots up in 8-10 seconds. And Minecraft is actually playable on it using this setup! My kid love it! ;)

irv
August 14th, 2012, 08:36 PM
Distrowatch had finally introduced Black Opal 64 as Oz Unity. Download it and try. You'd not want another Ubuntu distro (Hmmm...remix) :)

Anyway, I always believed that something is wrong with Distrowatch, as it doesn't watch for distros. Distrowatch only wants to make money, I believe...

Oz Unity would release a 32 bit distro in a few weeks!:)

Have a nice day!

Ariya
I was having an issue with lockups and was thinking about reinstalling my OS when I saw your post so I downloaded Black Opal and burned a DVD. After booting the live OS I went for the install. I was surprised that it had many of the packages I use already so I didn't have to install many of them. It took awhile to install because there were a lot of updates. Over 500. I am restoring my data file now, and should be up and running soon.
It has some effects setup so it runs slower then the base 12.04 with no effects set. My boot time is twice as long. I was booting in 15 seconds and not it take me 30 seconds. I also notice that the login screen talk to me and ask me to id myself. Cool.
I will try it for awhile and see how I like it.
Here is a short video I did with recordMyDesktop. I put it on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-l6z2DJzdk&feature=youtu.be

EDIT: I turned off some effects and sped up things. Effects are nice but at a cost of performance. After doing some customizing it really doesn't look or act much different then Stock Ubuntu. The advantage is I didn't have to load many apps after installing. And it had some extra stuff in compiz. I am still reinstalling data files.

Old_Grey_Wolf
August 15th, 2012, 03:17 AM
I have Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64-bit as the host operating system and Windows 7 64-bit in a dual boot configuration.

I use VirtualBox to run Virtual Machines (VMs) on my laptop. It has 6 GB of RAM, Intel® Core™ i5-2450M CPU @ 2.50GHz × 4, and 500 GB of hard disk space for the Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64-bit host Linux OS.

I run all sorts of distros as VMs. At any time, I may find that I have VMs available in the VirtualBox VM manager to run CentOS, Fedora, ubuntu, Mint, Debain, SuSE, Arch, Puppy, BackTrack, and so forth.

With virtualization in mind, I am not sure that I understand "What Linux Distro do you have on your laptop?" actually means.

synaptix
August 15th, 2012, 03:24 AM
Ubuntu 12.04 x86_64.

idontcheat
August 15th, 2012, 03:38 AM
I am currently using Ubuntu 11.10 64. with dual boot configuration with Windows XP Prof. why XP? well there are lot of things why, and you know that!

pissedoffdude
August 15th, 2012, 07:38 AM
64-bit Arch is my main distro atm. I definitely recommend if it you're willing to learn more and love to customize your compy.

Ravi5kumar
August 15th, 2012, 09:56 AM
Ubuntu 12.04 x64 bit

rasmus91
August 15th, 2012, 11:16 AM
Ubuntu 12.04 x64 Becuase its awesome. :)

Kreaninw
August 15th, 2012, 11:27 AM
Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64-bit with Unity. Went to Gnome 3 sometimes.

Irihapeti
August 15th, 2012, 12:09 PM
Ubuntu 12.04 with Openbox on my EeePC 900. No upgrades of any kind - just the original 1GB of RAM.

e2k
August 15th, 2012, 08:37 PM
Just updated to 12.04 64-bit (from 10.x 32-bit) on my 6930p HP elitebook. The initial (unity)shock was quite big, having taken a slight break from ubuntu, but now I seem to have started to get used to this. I'm noticing some slow performance every now and then, I think I have to check my ATI driver status (and buy some more RAM). Otherwise things seem to work pretty smoothly..:popcorn:

irv
August 15th, 2012, 09:29 PM
Just updated to 12.04 64-bit (from 10.x 32-bit) on my 6930p HP elitebook. The initial (unity)shock was quite big, having taken a slight break from ubuntu, but now I seem to have started to get used to this. I'm noticing some slow performance every now and then, I think I have to check my ATI driver status (and buy some more RAM). Otherwise things seem to work pretty smoothly..:popcorn:

If you have 2gig of RAM and you kick it up to 4gig you will see a great improvement in speed. And if you replace the HD with SSD you will see another great improvement. I did this with my Dell Inspiron 1521 (older laptop) and it just flies.
EDIT: by the way I am running Black Opal (Ubuntu 12.04 OZ Unity Remixes).

Jakin
August 15th, 2012, 10:57 PM
I have been messing with "Liquid Lemur DreamSTEP" there is XFCE version as well; in virtualbox, its not bad, quite lightweight- i plan to use it on some laptops that are sorely lacking in resources- and cannot be updated.

http://moonsoft.org/distros/ Debian Based.

Old_Grey_Wolf
August 17th, 2012, 07:09 PM
...I'm noticing some slow performance every now and then, I think I have to check my ATI driver status (and buy some more RAM). Otherwise things seem to work pretty smoothly..:popcorn:

I thought so as well when opening Lebre Office calc, writer, etc. I compared it to 10.04 that I have running on other computers, and found it really was not slower. What made it seem slower to me was the icon in the launcher changing colour while the application was loading. That graphic animation brought the time consumed to my attention.

Blackwolf_Oz
August 25th, 2012, 07:19 AM
BlackOpal64 (https://www.ultimateeditionoz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=365&t=4173")

32bit is being made and should be available any day.

irv
August 25th, 2012, 02:33 PM
BlackOpal64 (https://www.ultimateeditionoz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=365&t=4173")

32bit is being made and should be available any day.

Yes, BlackOpal. Running on top of Ubuntu 12.04LTS with Unity.

plurworldinc
August 26th, 2012, 03:44 AM
Ubuntu 12.04 LTS with the Gnome Shell interface. I have just found Gnome Shell to work best for me for my daily use. My kids on the other hand uses Unity on there laptops for school since it the standard.):P

jibawakee
August 26th, 2012, 04:04 AM
Oh god Linux mint 12 Debian 6 Ubuntu 12.04 Ubuntu Ultimate Edition and Puppy linux LOL No life :)):P:p