PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Update Ubuntu to Xubuntu without Install?

Ichido
August 12th, 2012, 08:47 PM
I have several questions.
Info: I have Ubuntu 10.04, Xubuntu 12.04 and Linux Mint 12 all on the same Dell 1525 Laptop.
I am writing a book in Libre Office (Xubuntu) and Open Office (Ubuntu).
The Book's file size is 1.5MB in Word .DOC and it's only 303KB in .ODT.
When I Edit/Write in O.O. on Ubuntu, I get System Freezes (Gray Screen) and have I have to use the Power Button to Reboot.
Using Xubuntu, I don't have this problem.
Questions:
Can I Update Ubuntu 10.04 to Xubuntu 12.04 without Re-Installing?
Can I just Change the Gnome Desktop of Ubuntu to Xfce?
If I change Open Office on Ubuntu to Libre Office will that help the System Freezes?
Thanks for any advice!

Morderwurst
August 13th, 2012, 04:42 AM
Info: I have Ubuntu 10.04, Xubuntu 12.04 and Linux Mint 12 all on the same Dell 1525 Laptop.Out of curiosity, why do you use separate partitions for xubuntu and ubuntu? You can install them side by side and just select which desktop environment you want to use at the login screen: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/xubuntu

When I Edit/Write in O.O. on Ubuntu, I get System Freezes (Gray Screen) and have I have to use the Power Button to Reboot.So the system becomes completely non-responsive? If this is the case, can you switch between terminals (ctrl+alt+F1, for example)? If that's not the case, then maybe use xkill to stop the program http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xkill (alt+F2 and type xkill, then click on the non-responsive program).

Can I Update Ubuntu 10.04 to Xubuntu 12.04 without Re-Installing?It might not go smoothly. You should backup all essential files first. You'll probably want to update to ubuntu 12.04 and then, as above, install xfce alongside... although it seems that you already have an xubuntu 12.04 system on another partition(?)

2F4U
August 13th, 2012, 09:21 AM
Out of curiosity, why do you use separate partitions for xubuntu and ubuntu? You can install them side by side and just select which desktop environment you want to use at the login screen: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/xubuntu

Ubuntu is 10.04 and Xubuntu is 12.04, so what you suggest doesn't work.

Why would you want to do that? You have Xubuntu 12.04 already installed and if you want additional desktop environments, these can be added to the existing Xubuntu 12.04 installation.

If you attempt to upgrade your 10.04 installation it will become Ubuntu 12.04 with the Unity interface. Of course, you can install the package xubuntu-desktop and then you have both interfaces available.

lads
August 13th, 2012, 10:30 AM
If I change Open Office on Ubuntu to Libre Office will that help the System Freezes?

Yes, most likely your problem is using an old version of the software. I'd suggest you to uninstall Ubuntu 10.04 and install the Unity DE in Xubuntu; this way you'll get both DE on a single OS.

Morderwurst
August 13th, 2012, 04:02 PM
Ubuntu is 10.04 and Xubuntu is 12.04, so what you suggest doesn't work..

I was merely suggesting that it is possible to install the xfce desktop environment (or others) alongside the gnome DE.

jemadux
August 13th, 2012, 07:48 PM
sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop

Ichido
August 13th, 2012, 09:16 PM
Wow! Talk about great Support and Help!
Thanks to everyone who replied!
I didn't know I could have different Desktop Environments for the same "home/" OS.
Thanks again.

Ichido
August 13th, 2012, 09:58 PM
[QUOTE=Morderwurst;12168197]Out of curiosity, why do you use separate partitions for xubuntu and ubuntu? You can install them side by side and just select which desktop environment you want to use at the login screen: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/xubuntu

There is No Option the Select Desktop!?
It just boots to Ubuntu.
What next?

Buntu Bunny
August 14th, 2012, 03:39 AM
There is No Option the Select Desktop!?
It just boots to Ubuntu.
What next?

You should be able to click on the Ubuntu symbol to the right of your name on the login screen. That will give you a menu of DE choices. Ubuntu will remember which one you chose the previous session and automatically login to that one the next time, unless you change it.

Buntu Bunny
August 14th, 2012, 03:42 AM
Out of curiosity, why do you use separate partitions for xubuntu and ubuntu? You can install them side by side and just select which desktop environment you want to use at the login screen: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/xubuntu

Morderwurst, thanks! I've been wanting to try Xfce and wasn't sure if I could install it on Ubuntu. I really am not liking Unity and Xfce looks like a good option.

Bucky Ball
August 14th, 2012, 03:47 AM
In the 'Sessions' popup at the login in screen. Choose 'Xubuntu Session' or 'Xfce session'.

One of the reasons I use Xubuntu is because it's lighter. Thus installing ubuntu-desktop defeats the purpose for me. My desktop hybrid setup, on the other hand, is like the work of a techno Frankenstein! Also, when you install *buntu-desktop anything you are installing all the related apps etc. If you went for Kubuntu-desktop you are going to get a lot of bloat you probably don't need. Your menus will include all apps from any *buntu-desktop installed. Again, much of this you probably don't need.

Just a thought; if you are installing xubuntu-desktop to the faulty setup, not sure that will change anything for your errors because that doesn't change the base system in anyway. You're not actually 'installing' again. Most of it's already there. All 'buntu family uses same base system.

Enjoy. There are all sorts of DEs out there. ;)

Morderwurst
August 14th, 2012, 04:12 AM
Morderwurst, thanks! I've been wanting to try Xfce and wasn't sure if I could install it on Ubuntu. I really am not liking Unity and Xfce looks like a good option.

You're welcome! I feel the same way about Unity.... You should know that installing xfce in this way will add some apps such as abiword. You might want to selectively remove them (if you prefer libreoffice, for example). Good luck!

(edit)...and just realized bucky ball said the same thing, basically. :p

Buntu Bunny
August 14th, 2012, 12:49 PM
You're welcome! I feel the same way about Unity.... You should know that installing xfce in this way will add some apps such as abiword. You might want to selectively remove them (if you prefer libreoffice, for example). Good luck!

Thanks for that tip. I take it I have to remove unwanted apps after installation? There's not an option to choose which to install?

vasa1
August 14th, 2012, 01:37 PM
... installing xfce in this way will add some apps such as abiword. ...
I installed Xfce 4.10 (https://launchpad.net/~xubuntu-dev/+archive/xfce-4.10) on top of Ubuntu 12.04 so that I can log into either Unity or Xfce depending on my mood.

I don't remember having to uninstall abiword (and I don't have it installed). That's why I feel it isn't part of the package.

Buntu Bunny
August 14th, 2012, 04:59 PM
Installed Xfce without problem and I like it!

It did install abiword as part of the package, oh well. I also have the choice of either a Xfce or Xubuntu session at login. Can't see any difference between them at first glance however.

cmcanulty
August 14th, 2012, 05:04 PM
To get to the option to select a desktop you have to log out or turn off auto login just once.

Morderwurst
August 14th, 2012, 07:31 PM
Installed Xfce without problem and I like it!

It did install abiword as part of the package, oh well. I also have the choice of either a Xfce or Xubuntu session at login. Can't see any difference between them at first glance however.

It is kind of weird that you can select either at login. The difference seems to be pretty minimal:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1895108

Ichido
August 14th, 2012, 07:48 PM
You should be able to click on the Ubuntu symbol to the right of your name on the login screen. That will give you a menu of DE choices. Ubuntu will remember which one you chose the previous session and automatically login to that one the next time, unless you change it.

There is Nothing to the right of my name.
The Ubuntu Logo is at the Top of the Log In Window.
On the Bottom Task Bar shows "Sessions" Menu. Changing it from Gnome to xterm. Choosing xterm opens a Terminal Window in the Upper Left Quarter of the screen. Now What?
:confused:

Ichido
August 14th, 2012, 07:50 PM
To get to the option to select a desktop you have to log out or turn off auto login just once.

Several times of both of your suggested options does nothing.
I do not use auto-login.

Ichido
August 14th, 2012, 07:54 PM
sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop

Thanks, but this does nothing.
No changes or choices of any kind.

Ichido
August 14th, 2012, 08:04 PM
You'll probably want to update to ubuntu 12.04 and then, as above, install xfce alongside... although it seems that you already have an xubuntu 12.04 system on another partition(?)

How do I Update 10.04 to 12.04?