PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Persistent additional programs to live USB Ubuntu

mibadt
August 12th, 2012, 08:15 PM
Hi,
My daughter plans to take a live Linux with persistent home on a USB memory as her "pc on the go" for a multiple months trip.
I am considering arranging an Ubuntu-based USB memory for her, yet she needs some applications (mainly Skype) which are NOT included in the live ISO contents.
Is there a way to make additional programs permanently installed in a live USB memory?

Thanks

Old_Grey_Wolf
August 12th, 2012, 09:31 PM
If you use "Startup Disk Creator", you can use the slide bare to reserve space on the USB for files, applications, etc., where applications and data are stored or added. See attachment.

I have also done a full install on a 8 or 16 GB UBS stick. I did the install from a Live CD with the hard drive unmouted. You have to be careful to install the Grub boot loader on the USB stick. You may even want to disconnect the hard drive just to be safe if you haven't done a lot of installs.

I take the 8 GB USB with me on business trips as a backup just in case something goes wrong with my laptop. I was on a business trip once and was glad I had it. :) I always boot it a day or two before a trip and install all the updates.

mibadt
August 13th, 2012, 03:00 AM
Thanks, I'll too do it!