PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Multimedia Applications Properties

satish_j
August 12th, 2012, 06:31 PM
One of the most common task with multimedia files that i am used to, is checking the 'Audio/Video' tab in Properties,which listed the Codec,Dimensions and most important,the duration of the file.
This was available in Gnome,but not in Unity(12.04)
I just want to know if there is any hope of getting this basic feature enabled through some tweak or is this one another feature that we have to live without in Unity.:(

ajgreeny
August 12th, 2012, 07:31 PM
I don't think it has shown in file properties for several versions of gnome either. It does not show anything in gnome 2 desktop of 10.04, and I don't think it has in the intervening versions before 12.04 either.

satish_j
August 12th, 2012, 07:36 PM
I don't think it has shown in file properties for several versions of gnome either. It does not show anything in gnome 2 desktop of 10.04, and I don't think it has in the intervening versions before 12.04 either.

Iam using Gnome2.30.2 on Lucid 10.04 and i can view the said properties from it..

Cheesemill
August 12th, 2012, 07:38 PM
It does still definitely work in Gnome.

I've just checked on my system running Gnome shell 3.4.

satish_j
August 13th, 2012, 05:38 AM
A regrettable bump..:(
Iam now starting to dislike Unity.It is much of an annoyance rather than enhancement.

mc4man
August 13th, 2012, 07:34 AM
Don't see where is is an issue per se in unity (12.04 or otherwise
The tab & info are from nautilus & work fine, so it's either a local issue or related to the files themselves

screen 1 on an mp4 - shows fine (general section reports tags which this vid doesn't have.
screen 2 on a tagged flac

Now on a newer nautilus (3.5.5, 12.10) it now has 2 tabs, 1 like before and an add of just media info - screen 3 on the same vid as scr. 1 showing the new tab

nothingspecial
August 13th, 2012, 07:38 AM
screen 2 on a tagged flac

Now that, is a tune :D

ajgreeny
August 13th, 2012, 12:28 PM
Iam using Gnome2.30.2 on Lucid 10.04 and i can view the said properties from it..
Well, it must be just a local problem of my 10.04, as I have just booted to 12.04, which I am still uncertain about, and find that I do get duration information in file properties from nautilus right click.

I had never noticed that till now, but I can assure you that I get zero duration shown on all audio files in my 10.04, and as far as I can remember, I always have done.

I shall keep searching for reasons, but so far no answers have shown themselves. It is nothing to do with the particular files as I am looking at the same files in both OSs, not even copied from one to the other, so must be related to nautilus in some way.

satish_j
August 13th, 2012, 05:12 PM
confused..:confused:
Nautilus 3.4.1 is the version i have on 12.04.Can anybody pls check on this same version and revert??
@mc4man,i assume the first 2 screenshots are from 3.4.1 Nautilus version.If that is true,then iam confused why is this not working at my end.