PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dark screen while installing 12.04

vamsi_spr
August 12th, 2012, 04:17 PM
Hello guys, i have a problem installing Ubuntu 12.04 on my laptop, initially i tried to install ubuntu from windows using wubi and when i restarted the system and selected ubuntu i just saw a blank screen, so i installed iso file and prepared a USB for installation, now when i tried to boot from the USB to install Ubuntu i get a dark screen where i could hardly see the installation window, i tried googling for answers and many suggested to press f6 and change the option to 'nomodeset' but when i tried the same it would do nothing but give a long old beep, please help i am a bit exasperated, any help will be appreciated, Thanks !!

Jay MC
August 12th, 2012, 04:32 PM
Hi Vamsi,

I had this problem too, when I installed 11.10 via Wubi. My solution was just to leave it and let it do its thing, plugged into ethernet (I could just about see, when I angled the screen right, that "stuff was happening", even though the backlight was off).

Eventually, I returned to the laptop to find that it had finished the install and rebooted itself to the Unity logon prompt, with the monitor working fine.

Because I had it plugged into a wired connection, I don't know whether it grabbed any extra drivers from somewhere during the install.

Also, I can't remember how much random hitting of keys I did while the screen was dark (e.g., I may have flukily hit "return" when a dialogue box was open, allowing the install to proceed). But I've installed Ubuntu twice this way (i.e., "blind"), using the Wubi installer, and once installation is complete, I never have any problems with the monitor backlight.

vamsi_spr
August 12th, 2012, 09:00 PM
There should be a way other than blind installation buddy !!

vamsi_spr
August 13th, 2012, 02:36 AM
Guys please help :confused::confused: