PDA

View Full Version : SUPPORT UBUNTU - by calling Netflix - I just spoke with them and...

stephen1976
August 12th, 2012, 03:55 PM
I just got off the phone with NETFLIX. The guy on the phone also uses Ubuntu! And netflix just WILL NOT SUPPORT IT unless they get Thousands of calls requesting UBUNTU! I explained to the guy that all my customers are having Ubuntu installed (I am a tech). etc. And that I supported netflix for those same clients, now promoting Ubuntu... has caused a conflict for the users of NETFLIX. The customer service rep explained that NETFLIX Research team is Considering UBUNTU but they need the calls, demands, and requests. PLEASE SHOW YOUR SUPPORT BY CALLING NETFLIX (since they have no email contact) Ask customer service to make a Recommendation to research team! (phone number is below) Another thing I explained to him... which he did NOT KNOW.. is that UBUNTU also allows Cross-Platform for ANDROID!! Yep! That's right! YOU can have all your Galaxy ipad apps, smartphone apps, all the Android APPS RIGHT ON YOUR COMPUTER! to install, search first to install JAVA on Ubuntu, then go to this link http://developer.android.com/sdk/installing/index.html Follow the instructions... on getting SDK TOOLS, activating it, then downloading Eclipse (Use the Ubuntu app store... Installs automatically, then continue with ADT... instructions are all there, then have FUN! Fun with ALL the ANDROID APPS! also, Boxee apparently was a way around to watch netflix... by making a box, but now it's a paid for thing!! Anyhow, with the android cross-platform bit....UBUNTU WILL BE the WINDOWS of the FUTURE!! So PLEASE SHOW YOUR SUPPORT BY CALLING NETFLIX at this number : 1 - 888 - 811 9842 Tell them you want to make a request to research team to Support UBUNTU Linux. Whether you are an existing client or not, Tell them you want to JOIN Netflix, but won't until there is support for UBUNTU. If you are an existing client, tell them YOU might cancel your account, because YOU switched from windows to UBUNTU and realize there is no SUPPORT for it from Netflix! This will get them to move on this... - In the meantime... they might recommend... and is the only way for now... DUAL BOOT, basically keep windows on your system, and the UBUNTU, you can switch back and forth between the two. As well as accessing your files from windows with UBUNTU! PLEASE SHOW YOUR SUPPORT FOR UBUNTU if you HEART-UBUNTU By calling NETFLIX! Let's get this Campaign going peeps! Post this everywhere you can! COPY and PAST this Article everywhere you know, every forum, youtube, etc.! Let people how awesome this UBUNTU is! and WE WANT NETFLIX SUPPORT!!

papibe
August 12th, 2012, 04:11 PM
Moved to Recurring Discussions.

Carborundum
August 13th, 2012, 06:02 PM
Wow. That might just be the spammiest looking non-spam post I have ever seen.

geekymaestro
August 13th, 2012, 06:10 PM
Oh if only Netfilx were worth keeping, but I find Hulu free to suit my needs. Good luck though, with the way Steam has been talking, if Netflix doesn't act, Steam will provide content anyway.

rukiaEnix
August 13th, 2012, 06:37 PM
YOU can have all your Galaxy ipad apps
I hope you were missing a "," between Galaxy and ipad, if not well... you can't be forgiven.

Also I hate this thing you said even more:

UBUNTU WILL BE the WINDOWS of the FUTURE!!

BigSilly
August 13th, 2012, 09:22 PM
UBUNTU WILL BE the WINDOWS of the FUTURE!!

/shudders

I think it was a well meaning original post. I think. I'd quite like to see these services on Ubuntu, but I don't fancy making a nuisance of myself by phoning them up about it. If they don't think there's a viable business there, what good is me pestering them going to do? It's up to them to figure it out, and I don't think it serves anyone well to be phoning up companies begging them to support Ubuntu. If they don't want to bother then they can get stuffed imho, and my cash goes elsewhere.

beyondcr
August 14th, 2012, 04:59 AM
Glad to see I am not the only one creating new Ubuntu/Linux users and being shunned by something that is locked down with someone who could careless unless its about making a dollar, keeping the corporation strong. Nonetheless You (Netflix) should just follow the light, it will hurt less in the end, this train is moving on regardless.

stephen1976
August 16th, 2012, 11:18 PM
Yes, While I agree about Netflix not being the Big kahuna, however, Hulu is unavailable to us Canadians Eh! :) - It is blocked out. While I am aware that there has been 3rd party sources in the past that made netflix possible. Many of those sources now either do not exist or want money. boxee was and apparently is still a source according to E-how. However, again, this source has to now be paid for. There is other cross-platform programs I currently exploring that apparently offers the whole netflix bit. Giving the fact that most sources on the net including Youtube allows videos to function within Unbuntu/Kunbuntu etc. Netflix would be able to do the same. Netflix DOES have a benefit for those of us with many children. It keeps them occupied! lol, so we can catch a break once in a while! anyhow. As for calling netflix as previously suggested, this is in support of something YOU LOVE, whether it be netflix, or UNBUNTU! And my support is for Unbuntu since having explored the many features and stabilities of this system.

VTPoet
August 19th, 2012, 12:18 AM
It's not your responsibility or mine. If Shuttleworth really wants Ubuntu on 200,000,000 (or was it 20,000,000) CPUs, then it's Shuttleworth who needs to sort this out. He has the clout. If he doesn't want to use it, then I can't be bothered. No OS is going to be taken seriously, by the masses, if they can't watch Netflix. Fair or not, right or not, that's just the way it is.

nothingspecial
August 19th, 2012, 12:21 AM
What is Netflix ?

synaptix
August 19th, 2012, 12:23 AM
What is Netflix ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netflix

nothingspecial
August 19th, 2012, 12:24 AM
is an American provider of on-demand Internet streaming media in the United States,

No use to me or the vast majority of Ubuntu users then. I wouldn't worry about it.

synaptix
August 19th, 2012, 12:35 AM
No use to me or the vast majority of Ubuntu users then. I wouldn't worry about it.

Ahem...

Canada, Latin America, the Caribbean, United Kingdom and Ireland

nothingspecial
August 19th, 2012, 12:37 AM
Canada, Latin America, the Caribbean, United Kingdom and Ireland

yes ?

sffvba[e0rt
August 19th, 2012, 12:43 AM
yes ?

Why that was the whole world right there...

nothingspecial
August 19th, 2012, 12:44 AM
Why that was the whole world right there...

Just a tiny bit, I thought :D

VTPoet
August 19th, 2012, 02:59 AM
Question: What is Netflix ?

Answer: An application that has roughly twice, by some estimates, or three times (by others) the install base of an entire distribution called Ubuntu.

Next?

darkapec
August 19th, 2012, 03:11 AM
What is Netflix ?

This great service that lets you watch the same couple hundred movies month after month!!!!

I find Navi-x, hulu, youtube etc all much more entertaining. Windows can keep there netflix!

nothingspecial
August 19th, 2012, 08:48 AM
Question: What is Netflix ?

Answer: An application that has roughly twice, by some estimates, or three times (by others) the install base of an entire distribution called Ubuntu.

Next?

So it,s only available to a small section of the world population and has a small user base compared to applications such as iTunes or Microsoft Word which Ubuntu gets on perfectly well without.....

It's of absolutely no consequence to most of the 200,000,000 users that Ubuntu is targeting.

zombifier25
August 19th, 2012, 10:37 AM
So it,s only available to a small section of the world population and has a small user base compared to applications such as iTunes or Microsoft Word which Ubuntu gets on perfectly well without.....

It's of absolutely no consequence to most of the 200,000,000 users that Ubuntu is targeting.

Actually, to be fair, Ubuntu is NOT going well, without Word or iTunes. App support is why Linux has only 1% of market share.

Docaltmed
August 19th, 2012, 12:22 PM
I don't bother to yammer at companies that don't support Linux, I just find ones who do.

Amazon Prime, for example, for less money than Netflix, gives me an equivalent selection of movies and TV, and it works on Ubuntu.

So, Amazon gets my money and Netflix doesn't. Simple.

VTPoet
August 19th, 2012, 12:24 PM
actually, to be fair, ubuntu is not going well, without word or itunes. App support is why linux has only 1% of market share.

+200,000,000

Erik1984
August 19th, 2012, 01:30 PM
It's all nice to conclude that Ubuntu lacks big commercial apps but what can we do to change that? Not much I guess.

Paqman
August 19th, 2012, 02:11 PM
Amazon Prime, for example, for less money than Netflix, gives me an equivalent selection of movies and TV, and it works on Ubuntu.

Wow, you folks stateside get a much better service for your Prime membership than the UK. All we get is faster shipping, so it's really not worth it.

VTPoet
August 19th, 2012, 02:34 PM
It's all nice to conclude that Ubuntu lacks big commercial apps but what can we do to change that? Not much I guess.

No, not much. In fact, nothing. It's really up to Shuttleworth. He's the only businessman/millionaire who is developing a linux distro intended for the masses. RHEL could give a rat's butt about services like Netflix and the rest are Ubuntu derivatives or have no "commercial" clout. If Google can develop a Netflix app for ChromeOS (and they have a fraction of Ubuntu's user base) then why not Ubuntu? If there's to be any lobbying, it should be to lobby Shuttleworth, not Netflix.