PDA

View Full Version : What are your favorite Linux Distros of 2012?

JF382
August 11th, 2012, 11:41 PM
What are your favorite Linux Distros of 2012? Currently, I am using Ubuntu 12.04, what distros would you recommend I try? If you know some cool Linux Distros, please post them here, so I can check them out and give them a try. Thanks everyone, much appreciated.

pierceTN
August 11th, 2012, 11:45 PM
Ubuntu 12.04 :)

others are

Fuduntu
Deepin
Kubuntu
Back-Track (security)

drawkcab
August 12th, 2012, 12:33 AM
Voyager Live is a nice re-spin of Xubuntu. Luninux and Pinguy are ubuntu-based distros that have done nice things with gnome shell. Pear would fit into that group too. Bodhi is worth checking out if you can stomach E17.

Linux Mint Debian Edition, SoulOS, Crunchbang and Salix are doing cool things on the Debian-based front. SnowLinux has Debian and Ubuntu based options.

Arch is always nice. Archbang is a friendlier way to get into Arch.

I've always enjoyed Puppy, AntiX and Slitaz as lightweight distros.

BarfBag
August 12th, 2012, 12:34 AM
As far as I'm concerned, Ubuntu 12.04, Xubuntu 12.04, and Linux Mint 13 are all golden distros.

pissedoffdude
August 12th, 2012, 01:04 AM
Arch! Best distro ever. I've also enjoyed playing with Bodhi and Mageia

QIII
August 12th, 2012, 01:25 AM
My perennial favorites:

Xubuntu
F17
Bodhi Linux
OpenSUSE

fuduntu
August 12th, 2012, 04:43 AM
I'm still kinda partial to Fuduntu (http://www.fuduntu.org)!

Mikeb85
August 12th, 2012, 04:50 AM
openSUSE 12.2. I'm using the Gnome RC2, and already it's much better than openSUSE 12.1. Very few bugs, super fast and stable, very nice. Can't speak for the KDE version (I've never been a huge KDE fan, alot of the software and interface seems very amateurish, although it is quick), but the Gnome version is great.

Lightstar
August 12th, 2012, 05:25 AM
Ubuntu 12.04 on my desktop.
Lubuntu on netbook. (Bodhi was nice too, had it for awhile).
Android for my phone and tablet.

I'd like to try something new though. I'll keep an eye on this thread :)

KiwiNZ
August 12th, 2012, 08:51 AM
Ubuntu 12.04

jroa
August 12th, 2012, 09:14 AM
I am playing with AntiX on one of my machines. It seems to be a good light weight distro. I am running it on a computer that I bought around 2003 and it is very fast with AntiX; much faster than XP on the same machine. I want to try it on my Windows 95 computer that hasn't been plugged in since around 2003, but have not gotten around to it. I am not sure if it will even work.

I have also dabbled with Zorin OS lately. It seems alright. It is very close to Windows in appearance. I got interested in it as a replacement for Linux Mint for suggesting to curious Windows users.

I downloaded and tried out Linux Mint 13 KDE today out of curiosity. Like most Linux Mint distros I have tried in the past, it seems to have a lot of bugs and I would not recommend it.

I think I am going to give the latest Fuduntu a try. I have not used it in over a year, but at that time, it was a very interesting distro.

marin123
August 12th, 2012, 09:33 AM
Nobody mentioned Elementary OS, but I think it's fantastic. Simple, elegant and good looking :)

They have new release coming, and I can't wait to see how will that look.

Ariya243
August 12th, 2012, 11:14 AM
The best looking and working well Ubuntu based distro is Black Opal 64 from Oz Unity, which actually made me think and study it and other distros.

All the same, the best distro is Ubuntu, whatever number, which is used to make other remixes. If I consider the name distribution, then the others based on Ubuntu are distributions of Ubuntu and some other applications, codecs and proprietary drivers, otherwise all can be considered as remixes of Ubuntu.

Black Opal calls itself a remix, and it is the best remix available in the net today. You can try the Israel Remix Team's work too.

Ubuntu can be remixed anyway possible, and it is easy. Here is a proof; http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2040069

Take care!

Ariya:)

MadmanRB
August 12th, 2012, 11:36 AM
Netrunner 4.2 Dryland second edition, its really nice sleek and smooth

chadk5utc
August 12th, 2012, 11:49 AM
After some thought I thought Id add my 2cents. I work with Suse Desktops and servers as well as Ubuntu Desktops and servers and enjoy both although they are different distros. I have BackTrack5 on my Netbook and Love it!!! For a tiny linux I used to use DSL linux at around 50 megs and many more

Perfect Storm
August 12th, 2012, 11:53 AM
Ubuntu 12.04
Looking forward to try the New eos (elementary os) when it's released.

GreatDanton
August 12th, 2012, 12:00 PM
Ubuntu 12.10
Fedora 17
Xubuntu 12.04
Crunchbang

linuxyogi
August 12th, 2012, 12:19 PM
My favorite is not Linux but PCBSD 9 lxde.

jim_deadlock
August 12th, 2012, 01:11 PM
Zorin (http://zorin-os.com/) featuring the Zorin Look Changer which lets you switch between DEs which look like Win7, WinXP and Gnome 2. Aimed towards people moving from Windows.

Kororaa (https://kororaa.org/) - install with KDE or Gnome 3.

Both of these are stable, pretty and pleasant to use. Well worth slots in your Virtualbox library.

EDIT: the king of distros is, of course, Ubuntu 12.04 - everything else is also-rans :)

Uncle Spellbinder
August 12th, 2012, 04:23 PM
SolusOS (http://solusos.com/)

Though SolusOS 1.1 is great, I'm loving SolusOS 2 (Alpha 5). Remarkably stable on both my desktop PC and my 4-year-old laptop.

sffvba[e0rt
August 12th, 2012, 04:27 PM
I am partial to a specific distro of late too...

Max Blyss
August 12th, 2012, 06:54 PM
-Xubuntu 12.04
-Racy Puppy 5.3(?)
-Trisquel Brigantia (Despite my dislike of Gnash and such, I have a big soft spot for this distro...)

Got to get offa the ol' backside and go get a Crunchbang Waldorf disc, that'll def. be a favorite.

jj97403
August 12th, 2012, 07:41 PM
Ubuntu 12.04. I distro hop a lot out of curiosity but Ubuntu is the most headache free distro, as well as the most enjoyable to to use. The latest beta release of OpenSuse is visually impressive and comes in second for me.

snip3r8
August 12th, 2012, 08:55 PM
Ubuntu with a light theme ,no wait I think this is OSX there is a finder bar , ok but then how can I open synaptic and iTunes? Oh wait ssh -X my bad ,hey look ubuntu software center and the mac app store sharing the same desktop ... :P in that case my favorite distro is ObuntuX Mountain Pangolin 12.8.

danyc05
August 13th, 2012, 04:23 PM
My two favorite distros as of now are Ubuntu 12.04 (which I have installed at the moment) and Linux Mint 13 (In my opinion, is the ONE of the best alternatives to unity). Unity just kinda grew on me and no matter what distro I try I end up going back to Ubuntu. :)

Mr.Plex
August 13th, 2012, 08:20 PM
My Favorite 2012 OS:
PCBSD Isotope

HappinessNow
August 13th, 2012, 09:44 PM
Google Chrome OS

Primefalcon
August 13th, 2012, 09:46 PM
Ubuntu
Lubuntu
System Rescue
Puppy
Tails

yeehi
August 14th, 2012, 09:20 AM
Trisquel (http://trisquel.info/en)5.5 Brigantia.

It is a fully free version of Ubuntu.

It is based on Oneiric, but uses the Linux-libre kernel instead. (All the binary blobs in the linux kernel Ubuntu uses are removed.) There are no options for proprietary software.

The Trisquel community are knowledgeable and helpful.

It is a great way to go if you really want to have truly free software. :)

Ariya243
August 14th, 2012, 09:54 AM
Black Opal 64
Onyx 64
Ubuntu 12.04
Ubuntu 12.10
And returned to fold, that is Linux Mint 13 returned to Ubuntu 12.04

Ubuntu is the best, no headache distro ever.
Black Opal is the best Ubuntu 12.04 remix or distribution, which actually made me like Unity.

On the side, breaking down some Ubuntu clones, such as Zorin OS 6, Pinguy, Mint 13 etc. They are all remixes. :)

Primefalcon
August 15th, 2012, 05:52 AM

It is based on Oneiric, but uses the Linux-libre kernel instead. (All the binary blobs in the linux kernel Ubuntu uses are removed.) There are no options for proprietary software.

No thanks, I need wireless and other things to work.

sffvba[e0rt
August 15th, 2012, 05:59 AM

Depending on your hardware everything works, and works well (in my case it is a Samsung N150).

Ichtyandr
August 15th, 2012, 06:10 AM
Ubuntu 12.04 with classic gnome desktop (using remastersys to take care of all software preferences)

longtom
August 15th, 2012, 12:00 PM
Horses for courses ....

Linux Mint 13 Mate for work.

On my old PIV 2.0 Celeron I find PCLinuxOS LXDE run really well. On that LM 13 xfce is a tat cumbersome ...

slixz85
August 22nd, 2012, 10:02 PM
i always go lightweight especially using a 7 year old pc but it is a good pc. i currently use bodhi, lite zorin, and light pinguy (pinguy is lighter compared to main version but not as light as most all)
i am about to take pinguy off not because it is not a good distro but because i am installing ubuntu studio on the other partition so I can do alot of web work and multimedia work. i keep 3 partitions stacked with 3 os's just because if i want to dabble in a bit to learn some more i don't have to exclusively worry about crashing a system cuz then i have a working os still to investigate what happened on the other partition and get all my answers from the net instead of seeing a black screen!

it just all depends on what you want. me i am newer to linux but been using it for 3 years now but only have made my made operating systems ubuntu/debian because it is most friendly to new comers.
i have tried archbang which was excellent looking and there support great but unfortunately my knowledge of apt-get and such commands i have imbedded in my brain from ubuntu/debian did not work of course, i could easily learn and wish i knew more about arch actually but the way i see it is ubuntu have some of the biggest repositories for finding software and is becoming the main mainstream os so therefore the support is going to be a little bit better by the number of users.

i just noticed proxlinux i could actually give this one a try soon. it says lightweight but 1.2gb size that is alot bigger than the smaller ones of 400-700mb. forgot to mention wattos is very nice as well
peppermint os is very nice as well but i actually don't use the cloud technology much at all so I have moved on.

vectorlinux is very nice as well but based on slackware which i know nothing about as well but if i could know more than this would probably be my MAIN distro over bodhi and zorin even.

i got a folder of a ton of iso's i save for some reason so of course there are a few i didn't mention but others did.

synaptix
August 22nd, 2012, 10:51 PM
Ubuntu 12.04
Xubuntu 12.04
Linux Mint 13 XFCE

kazuya
August 22nd, 2012, 11:01 PM
Favorite Distros 2012
(1) Bridge Linux / Archbang (By far my two favorites)
(2) Zorin OS
(3) Pinguy OS and Sabayon

The arch-based distros are more adaptable to any type of PC irrespective of age. Zorin and most other Debian-based distros are better suited to newer hardware and some older hardware with greater than 512MB RAM.

Linux_junkie
August 23rd, 2012, 09:36 PM
Check out Rosa (http://www.rosalab.com/) which is another fork of Mandriva. Not installed yet, but have used it on a live DVD and works pretty well and I like what they did to KDE.

I currently have Fedora 16 with KDE on a 1GB laptop which is pretty good but am not that struck on it. And Xubuntu 11.10 on 1.256GB desktop pc. Will replace Fedora 16 with either ROSA Marathon 2012 or return to one of the Canonical supported distros. Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu/Lubuntu.

DukeOfMixture
December 9th, 2012, 09:50 PM

Streaming video is nice to have, too. And mame.

Otherwise Trisquel was my first Linux OS

<¡>
December 9th, 2012, 10:51 PM

+1 to Trisquel

I can't wait to see the 6.0 release.

Uncle Spellbinder
December 9th, 2012, 11:52 PM
Fuduntu 2012.4
SolusOS 1.2
Xubuntu 12.10

ZippyUbu
December 10th, 2012, 12:56 AM
I've been playing around with extra lite editions which are all super fast.

EasyPeasy Linux - http://www.geteasypeasy.com/
Linux Lite - http://www.linuxdistrocommunity.com/

--
Zu

SantaFe
December 10th, 2012, 03:51 AM
Xubuntu & Lubuntu. Thought about trying Arch Linux, but only if it has good Arch-Support:p

LillyDragon
December 10th, 2012, 03:54 AM
Xubuntu 12.04 LTS, and when I have a desktop machine again, I'm definitely going to try Fedora again.

linuxcoffeelover
December 15th, 2012, 09:44 AM
I would have to say Ubuntu 12.04 and...

Linux mint 13
Debian 6
Archbang (I really liked that one.)
Slax 6 (there is just something about being able to load and OS into ram from a bootable flashdrive and just be done. and only 200mb nice!)

and the distro that started me into the world of linux...

LINUX MINT 7 ( now that was a great distro if anyone knows how to get that leave a message feature back please tell me.)
sorry the last one probally doesn't help.

whatthefunk
December 15th, 2012, 09:51 AM
Kubuntu
Crunchbang