PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Black screen after driver update?

AlexLev
August 11th, 2012, 03:17 PM
Hey i decided to try out Ubuntu as a seperate OS on my computer. Anyway, installtion goes fine, and i can restart over and over without anything bad happening. But if i activate either of the updates for my Nvidia GeForce 7100 / nForce 630i then restart to complete the update, i end up with a black screen with a few randomly coloured pixels once i log in.

Any help with this? Please note i'm an absolute beginner with Linux, thanks!

AlexLev
August 12th, 2012, 11:23 PM
Bump

Kalanac
August 12th, 2012, 11:31 PM
Definitely sounds like a driver issue. The random pixels are artefacts, junk data left in the card which is just being spat onto the screen.

Take a look through the following guide on installing and configuring nVidia binary drivers:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/Nvidia

Also, when starting a support post, try to include as much detail as you can, such as the version of Ubuntu you're using :) Different versions behave in different ways. I assume you're using 12.04: Perfect Pangolin

You should still be able to access a TTY terminal by hitting ctrl+alt+f1 (or any F key up to 6). These TTY terminals act in more or less the same manner as a regular terminal you'd open on the desktop. The desktop is on TTY 7 which you can get back to by hitting ctrl+alt+f7.

Run through the guide and see what you can manage to get done. Post any errors on the forum as completely as you can so folks can help you along :)