PDA

View Full Version : Another take on the app showdown

vasa1
August 11th, 2012, 12:25 PM
http://justicetoeveryone.blogspot.gr/2012/08/ubuntu-app-showdown-fair-rating-of.html

Worth a read.

vasa1
August 11th, 2012, 12:50 PM
According to the blogger who has gotten as far as the letter P, these apps are worth a look:

Armorforge
Cuttlefish
FlashBox
Format Junkie
GWOffice
Nitroshare

As I mentioned, the list isn't complete.

The criteria used to judge the apps is also listed:

Appearance: has there been work put into the visual design and artwork? Is the design visually attractive?
Stability: does the application run well and smoothly, with no crashers or obvious bugs?
Platform integration: does the app integrates well with Unity and the rest of the platform? Does it use Quick lists, notifications, indicators, etc where needed?
Innovation: does the app provide functionality not available in Ubuntu before? Does it provide something in a way that hasn’t been done before?
Scratches an itch: is the application useful? Does it fulfill a need for something Ubuntu users had been missing until then?

Each time I see "integration", I start wondering a bit about whether it's a good idea to use something that will require a specific environment.
For example, depending on my mood, I use Unity or an Xfce session. I'd like an app to work with both.

hakermania
August 11th, 2012, 01:06 PM
Interesting. I am the developer of Format Junkie and I completely agree with most of his points.

I don't care so much about the promotion that OMG!Ubuntu did but I think that if the judges where to judge according to the review criteria, then Picsaw wouldn't be at the 3rd place but far far far away from it...

Anyway, the competition was fan after all :) (and we get a free ubuntu T-shirt yayyyyy!)

vasa1
August 11th, 2012, 01:15 PM
So far, only the three winners are available via the Software Center. Maybe we'll see more after the "Community voting", whenever that is.

vasa1
September 2nd, 2012, 04:05 PM
So far, only the three winners are available via the Software Center. Maybe we'll see more after the "Community voting", whenever that is.

Any more news? The author of the blog I linked to has other things to take care of and has only got as far as R.

vasa1
September 5th, 2012, 07:37 AM
Soon (http://askubuntu.com/a/183521/25656).

MG&TL
September 5th, 2012, 08:06 AM
Each time I see "integration", I start wondering a bit about whether it's a good idea to use something that will require a specific environment.
For example, depending on my mood, I use Unity or an Xfce session. I'd like an app to work with both.

Most sensible developers have a clause in their program that says "if we've got unity, add this, that and t'other, otherwise, just get on with it.". So yeah, programs really should wwork in Xfce. And LXDE and KDE and Gnome Shell.

vasa1
September 5th, 2012, 08:09 AM
Most sensible developers have a clause in their program that says "if we've got unity, add this, that and t'other, otherwise, just get on with it.". So yeah, programs really should work in Xfce. And LXDE and KDE and Gnome Shell.
Thanks for that :)

zombifier25
September 5th, 2012, 10:24 AM
Interesting. I am the developer of Format Junkie and I completely agree with most of his points.

I don't care so much about the promotion that OMG!Ubuntu did but I think that if the judges where to judge according to the review criteria, then Picsaw wouldn't be at the 3rd place but far far far away from it...

Anyway, the competition was fan after all :) (and we get a free ubuntu T-shirt yayyyyy!)

+ovah 9000

When Picsaw made it in top 3 (and not contenders like Format Junkie, GWOffice, ...), I was taught a lesson I taught myself a long time ago: The world doesn't always make sense.

vexorian
September 5th, 2012, 08:38 PM
I am very skeptical of the integration thing.

Platform Integration: 0/5 (nothing is being done... Developers must understand that games can interact with the environment... Why not quicklists and counter indicating your score?)
I can't really think of anything more pointless than these ideas.

Quicklists are great for apps. I guess a game could have a quicklist to directly load a game, but displaying score is too much for my taste.

I mean, the counter and progress bar are great when you are using another application and want to monitor what is going on in the other applications through those nifty information display features. When talking about a video game, I don't think it is really that interesting to get reminded what your score is while you are reading your email...

Either way, I think quicklists are something up to the packager not upstream.

vasa1
September 25th, 2012, 04:16 AM
http://developer.ubuntu.com/2012/09/announcing-the-ubuntu-app-showdown-community-winners/

Dated 20120918!

And the details are available as an .ods file by clicking Get the App Showdown Community Vote Results (http://developer.ubuntu.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/AppShowdownCommunityVote.ods)

vasa1
September 25th, 2012, 04:47 AM
Interesting that the top-scorer, Ridual, is available in the Ubuntu Software Center but not in the Lubuntu Software Center as of now, AFAICT. I didn't check others.