PDA

View Full Version : What gaming laptop would YOU recommend?

Lucradia
August 11th, 2012, 10:17 AM
Because clearly I don't know what laptop can compete in the gaming market. All I know it has to have though, is at least a 7970m. Because, if it has nvidia, it likely has Optimus, which is a big no-no. Since the linux community knows about troubles with Optimus I thought to ask you all. It doesn't matter if it's linux compatible or not though, I just don't know what to pick.

It has to be USA-Compatible though, and not ship from overseas.

Paqman
August 11th, 2012, 10:23 AM
Optimus is not a problem for Windows, which is the best OS for gaming anyway.

I've never quite seen the point in gaming laptops, are you sure you wouldn't be better off with a desktop? It'd be cheaper, much easier to upgrade and you'd be able to overclock, which could save you some money on hardware and/or keep it useful for longer.

Lucradia
August 11th, 2012, 10:57 AM
Optimus is not a problem for Windows, which is the best OS for gaming anyway.

I've never quite seen the point in gaming laptops, are you sure you wouldn't be better off with a desktop? It'd be cheaper, much easier to upgrade and you'd be able to overclock, which could save you some money on hardware and/or keep it useful for longer.

I don't like overclocking. Last time I did, I used ASUS' overclocking tool on my Crosshair V Formula + 1100T. It tried to overclock it three different times. First 4.2 GHz, crashed immediately. Then again at 3.9 GHz, crashed again. Then it did 3.6 GHz, crashed, and set 3.6 GHz as the overclocked speed, as it was the most stable. I set it back to stock, 3.3 GHz, since 3.6 GHz was way too unstable for me.

I have to have someone else do it for me, so I'd rather not do it.

jockyburns
August 11th, 2012, 11:10 AM
These, http://www.alienware.com/Landings/promotions.aspx are supposed to be some of the best gaming lappy's around. Quite expensive though. ;)

Lucradia
August 11th, 2012, 11:26 AM
These, http://www.alienware.com/Landings/promotions.aspx are supposed to be some of the best gaming lappy's around. Quite expensive though. ;)

Some of the ASUS Systems can out-perform the alienwares. Such as this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230408

However, if the system comes with a 7970m, it will not be outperformed. There is a Sager laptop that can be configured with a 7970m, better pricing than the alienware from dell:

http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.php?page=product_customed&model_name=NP9170

On this sager, choose matte, the 7970m, the 2.6 GHz i7, 16 GB RAM, and the 750 GB Harddrive and the +50 USD Killer Wireless. Still cheaper, still better than alienware. (Esp. matte screen) Yes, I require a matte screen, so alienware will not work for me. If Sager's the only one, I can understand why there's no real competition and no competitive pricing.

Paqman
August 11th, 2012, 02:14 PM
I set it back to stock, 3.3 GHz, since 3.6 GHz was way too unstable for me.

Fair enough, overclocking is hardly compulsory, just wanted to point out that it was one of several options you'd lack on a laptop.

Incidentally, going from 3.3GHz to 3.6GHz is a 10% overclock, which is quite good IMO. Anything above that would have been outstanding. Generally when you're overclocking you want to start by making very small improvements (say 1% or so) and work your way up to where it becomes unstable. Going straight to 4.2GHz from 3.3GHz (+27%!!) was always going to fail, and runs a real risk of damage.

Lucradia
August 11th, 2012, 02:20 PM
Fair enough, overclocking is hardly compulsory, just wanted to point out that it was one of several options you'd lack on a laptop.

Incidentally, going from 3.3GHz to 3.6GHz is a 10% overclock, which is quite good IMO. Anything above that would have been outstanding. Generally when you're overclocking you want to start by making very small improvements (say 1% or so) and work your way up to where it becomes unstable. Going straight to 4.2GHz from 3.3GHz (+27%!!) was always going to fail, and runs a real risk of damage.

That's what the ASUS Overclocking tool did by itself. Blame them >_> That's what I'm doing

Dlambert
August 11th, 2012, 03:15 PM
Digital Storm offers the best prices for the most performance. 3k or more less than the competition for the "ultimate custom" build I made.

madjr
August 11th, 2012, 03:47 PM
Because clearly I don't know what laptop can compete in the gaming market. All I know it has to have though, is at least a 7970m. Because, if it has nvidia, it likely has Optimus, which is a big no-no. Since the linux community knows about troubles with Optimus I thought to ask you all. It doesn't matter if it's linux compatible or not though, I just don't know what to pick.

It has to be USA-Compatible though, and not ship from overseas.

For a gaming laptop you just need a good video card (probably Nvidia, but ATI is good too; hybrids not recommended for now). Then the processor comes second and memory.

not much to it. But make sure is linux friendly by googling the model+ubuntu (else you won't be able to try Steam on linux :D)

Lucradia
August 11th, 2012, 05:58 PM
Digital Storm offers the best prices for the most performance. 3k or more less than the competition for the "ultimate custom" build I made.

They all have glossy surfaces it seems for the x17 line.

AllRadioisDead
August 11th, 2012, 10:51 PM
>Gaming
>Laptop

Choose one.

Lucradia
August 12th, 2012, 01:32 AM
>Gaming
>Laptop

Choose one.

I'm a rebel. So no. :P

fontis
August 12th, 2012, 01:25 PM
Alienware laptops are good, a bit expensive IMO, feels like you pay more for the brand than the actual laptop but they are still solid.

Otherwise, I would recommend XMG Gaming laptops.
www.mysn.co.uk

They ship all over the place as well. Really good laptops excellent for gaming and within reasonable price.

Lucradia
August 12th, 2012, 07:05 PM
Alienware laptops are good, a bit expensive IMO, feels like you pay more for the brand than the actual laptop but they are still solid.

Otherwise, I would recommend XMG Gaming laptops.
www.mysn.co.uk

They ship all over the place as well. Really good laptops excellent for gaming and within reasonable price.

XMG is more expensive than Sager. Way more.

Lucradia
August 12th, 2012, 09:34 PM
Seeing as I want to save up for After Effects. I'll not be getting a laptop yet. Instead, I'll upgrade my PNY GTX 470 to a better card, as well as a dual monitor setup.