PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Remove unity and Replace with Openbox

c0rnfed
August 11th, 2012, 06:27 AM
Hi,
Im still fairly new to linux
im currently using dreamstudio, which has unity as its dm and i believe the wm and fm are metacity and nautilus
i want to completely remove all of this and replace it with just openbox as the wm, and thunar.
basically i want it to look more like a crunchbang setup
I tried google, and didnt come up with anything solid
please help me ubuntu community

Thanks

MG&TL
August 11th, 2012, 07:35 AM
Okay, did you actually try unity? Many people find it horrible for a couple of hours, then start to like it.

If so, here's some commands to do that, I'm not going to waste time explaining how to do it from the GUI, but it should be fairly self-explanatory:

#Install the openbox session
sudo apt-get install openbox
#Install thunar
sudo apt-get install thunar

Then select the openbox session icon from the login screen by clicking the ubuntu logo on the left of your name, then set the default FM to thunar.

c0rnfed
August 11th, 2012, 07:53 AM
i already installed openbox and thunar

i want to use these because its not as taxing on my ram as unity is
how do i set my default fm to thunar?
and also how do i remove unity, metacity nautilus?

MG&TL
August 12th, 2012, 09:51 PM

Okay. It kinda sounds like you might want to try Xubuntu or Lubuntu...they come preinstalled with lighter stuff.

I believe there's an option, I think in the 'Details' window, to set the Default FM.

There's no real reason to, but:

sudo apt-get remove unity metacity nautilus

Be CAREFUL what this removes-if you don't know what it does, give it a google before saying 'yes'.

ads52
August 13th, 2012, 12:24 AM
Perhaps you might want to try fluxbox rather than openbox? I find the fluxbox configuration much more intuitive although many will disagree :).

urukrama
August 14th, 2012, 11:41 PM

You don't need to remove Unity to use Openbox. Just select the Openbox session at the login screen instead of the Unity session.

If you need help configuring Openbox, you might find the Openbox guide linked to in my signature useful, even if it is a little outdated.