PDA

View Full Version : filters to domain of the country

nec207
August 10th, 2012, 07:06 PM
Why is it when you type in google search or yahoo search it is filters to domain of the country like.

.com
.uk
.ca

google.uk
google.ca

You type in yahoo groups or yahoo answers and it takes you to groups.uk or answers.uk

What up with the filters to domain of country .

mips
August 10th, 2012, 08:54 PM
geolocation

Mikeb85
August 11th, 2012, 02:53 AM
You can change Google's settings to direct you to the .com site if you don't want to go to your country specific site.

nec207
August 11th, 2012, 07:34 AM
You can change Google's settings to direct you to the .com site if you don't want to go to your country specific site.

It some thing yahoo is doing now and google is doing now to geolocation of the country not sure why they doing this or what the point is .

Like what is the point to have same service of many countries.It like having http://ubuntuforums.org , http://ubuntuforums.uk, http://ubuntuforums.ca , http://ubuntuforums.UA , http://ubuntuforums.com.

Paqman
August 11th, 2012, 07:51 AM
not sure why they doing this or what the point is .

Handling your query from a local datacentre is quicker, uses less resources, allows them to customise their response based on local preferences or laws (for example, a search for products will show ones available locally and in your own currency).

nec207
August 14th, 2012, 09:03 PM
Handling your query from a local datacentre is quicker, uses less resources, allows them to customise their response based on local preferences or laws (for example, a search for products will show ones available locally and in your own currency).

What do you mean? What is the point of this. It seems this is what yahoo and google is doing now.

Paqman
August 14th, 2012, 09:43 PM
What do you mean? What is the point of this. It seems this is what yahoo and google is doing now.

Which bit are you struggling with?

Say I do a search online for "left handed flange widgets". If my query goes straight to a local datacentre instead of one in Timbuktu I get my results quicker, in my local currency and from suppliers in my country, and the search company is able to comply with any local laws (for example regarding privacy and logging).

nec207
August 14th, 2012, 10:15 PM
Which bit are you struggling with?

Say I do a search online for "left handed flange widgets". If my query goes straight to a local datacentre instead of one in Timbuktu I get my results quicker, in my local currency and from suppliers in my country, and the search company is able to comply with any local laws (for example regarding privacy and logging).

So when I do a search for some thing not showing the top sites in world for what I'm searching for I'm going to have to sniff through garagebage sites do to the geolocation to I find the site I want.

When I go to yahoo groups or yahoo answers I'm going to get 90% less posts, threads,topics ,traffic do to geolocation do to 90% are not in my area.

Sure it may help when you buying some thing or looking up fast food ,restaurant or store so on :):)but searching for TV show or Linux message board I will have to sniff through garagebage sites to I find the one I want do to the geolocation .

When searching for movies , TV shows or music I'm going to get less hits do to promotion of region countries msuic even if country small and GDP less than 2% of the US I'm going be out of luck.

When hitting youtube I'm going to get videos of IP address in by country on top hits page not base on keyword searches.

Nice now you have protectionism of the internet that is NOT what I learn in school in past what the internet was set up for.

Paqman
August 15th, 2012, 12:26 PM
The algorithm will only show localised results for search strings that suggest a localised result would be useful. So searching for "linux" won't be localised (except for language), while searching for "mexican restaurants" will be. If it wasn't localised you'd be getting hits for restaurants in Mexico, which probably isn't what you want.

nec207
August 16th, 2012, 05:40 PM
The algorithm will only show localised results for search strings that suggest a localised result would be useful. So searching for "linux" won't be localised (except for language), while searching for "mexican restaurants" will be. If it wasn't localised you'd be getting hits for restaurants in Mexico, which probably isn't what you want.

Okay I understand this but what about what I was saying above this
When searching for movies , TV shows or music I'm going to get less hits do to promotion of region countries msuic even if country small and GDP less than 2% of the US I'm going be out of luck.

When hitting youtube I'm going to get videos of IP address in by country on top hits page not base on keyword searches.

You still going get that.

Paqman
August 16th, 2012, 07:22 PM
You still going get that.

Only if the algorithm decides to give you that. If you don't get the searches you want you'll use a different engine, so it's in the search companies' interests to make sure you get what you want.

Just because geolocation allows them to tailor some results, doesn't mean that you'll only see results local to you.

The trick is to figure out when someone wants to see localised results, which is contextual. Search engines used to simply match strings of text, but these days they try and figure out what you mean when you search for something. For example, if I search for "shogun", a good search engine will be able to figure out if I want to see reviews of the computer game, find information about medieval Japan, or want to buy a used car.