PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft blames stupid users,LOL

Drakkor
June 26th, 2006, 04:01 PM
http://blogs.zdnet.com/Burnette/?p=65

halfvolle melk
June 26th, 2006, 04:05 PM
He goes on to say that phishing is a problem because "there really is no patch for human stupidity".
Which is perfectly true.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phishing

glotz
June 26th, 2006, 04:26 PM
Put the Credit Where the Credit is Due! :lol:

nuvo
June 26th, 2006, 05:12 PM
Phishing cannot be fixed like Viruses and code hole exploits since it's based on exploiting the human factor.
If a person is tricked into using a website and entering their personal data, it's not the fault of the OS.

Phishing is basically the web version of scam calls and there's only so much that a PC can do about it.
A browser can be made to warn you if it thinks a link is dodgy (Firefox Bon Echo and IE7 try to do this), but if you still go ahead, it's you who needs fixing.

I never use addresses in e-mails, I always type it in by hand since I know the addresses I need, and it's not like I'm internet bankings biggest fan anyway.

The only proper sollution on any platform right now is to trace phishers and throw them in prison.

As for bug fixes, these don't all have to do with security.
If you've got a bug in mono or GCC, it doesn't have to relate to something that will allow people to kill your system over the internet.

bruce89
June 26th, 2006, 05:15 PM
They could try this
sudo aptitude install brains

rai4shu2
June 26th, 2006, 06:27 PM
Welcome to 1995.

bruce89
June 26th, 2006, 06:28 PM
Welcome to 1995.
Why, How?

confused57
June 26th, 2006, 07:13 PM
For what it's worth, I use the Netcraft toolbar extension in Firefox...one more line of defense.

The Netcraft toolbar installed in IE6 caused it to crash or not even open(Sysfader error), so had to remove from IE6(on 2 computers running XP SP2).

bruce89
June 26th, 2006, 07:22 PM
For what it's worth, I use the Netcraft toolbar extension in Firefox...one more line of defense.
Of course, a lot of toolbars are spyware themselves. Not the Netcraft one (I think).

joe_lace
June 26th, 2006, 07:37 PM
I don't need a web browser to tell me when I should or should not enter my credit card information.

bruce89
June 26th, 2006, 07:44 PM
I don't need a web browser to tell me when I should or should not enter my credit card information.
Not many Linux users do.

isotonic
June 26th, 2006, 07:48 PM
netcraft rocks!!!

The Netcraft toolbar installed in IE6 caused it to crash or not even open(Sysfader error), so had to remove from IE6(on 2 computers running XP SP2).

prizrak
June 26th, 2006, 07:57 PM
You or me might not or just about anyone else who can install their own OS. Many people do however, which is where the issue comes in. It's like helmets for mentally challenged really, protect them from themselves.

G Morgan
June 26th, 2006, 08:05 PM

It succeeded in protecting your machine then. Another user saved from IE6 ;) .

joe_lace
June 26th, 2006, 08:18 PM
My grandma, the least computer literate person I know, is less likely to get scammed in this manner than the high school student who has been using a computer since they were in elementary. I guess there is a certain ammount of common sense that they don't teach in schools anymore.

aysiu
June 26th, 2006, 08:28 PM
There was a time when fast-food restaurants and coffee shops didn't have to tell customers that the coffee might be hot.

A lawsuit or two changed that... at least in the US.

Warning: Contents may be hot. Yeah, duh! I knew that. But a lot of people don't, apparently.

bruce89
June 26th, 2006, 08:31 PM
There was a time when fast-food restaurants and coffee shops didn't have to tell customers that the coffee might be hot.

Warning: Contents may be hot. Yeah, duh! I knew that. But a lot of people don't, apparently.
They do that here as well (cheaper to produce the same cup in other countries too, they get discounts for larger volumes)
People would sue anyone for anything. For instance, some schools here have stopped trips, as parents sued the school if their children were hurt (read falling over).

joe_lace
June 26th, 2006, 08:32 PM
Apperently not! Soon all houses are going to be forced to come with a sign on the front door that says

Warning!!! If you exit this door you may be subject to the following:

Rain
hail
car accident
tripping
theiving
sky falling
etc...

nuvo
June 26th, 2006, 09:12 PM

That's pretty lame, but not half as much as the guy who successfully sued a car company because he decided to go take a break in the back of his campervan while it was moving due to him thinking that cruise control and power stearing would drive for him...

People these days are just too stupid despite having an almost infinitely huge, but easily accessible learning tool such as the internet.
It doesn't help that some companies such as accident claims companies are all too willing to feed off of this stupidity.

bruce89
June 26th, 2006, 09:24 PM
It doesn't help that some companies such as accident claims companies are all too willing to feed off of this stupidity.
It reminds me of Claims Direct.
My dad told me of somebody who sued a plane company for making a plane with too small a fuel tank, as they ran out of it in flight.