PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Missing icons

michaeljmcd
August 10th, 2012, 06:48 PM
When I am using XFCE, I notice that some icons are missing. Firefox, for example, shows up properly in the window button list, but when I alt-tab through the active windows, its icon is missing. Moreover, xterm is missing its icon in both the window button list and the alt-tab list.

How do I go about setting the icons so that they show up properly in both the window button list and the alt-tab list?

Toz
August 10th, 2012, 07:30 PM
What icon theme are you using? (Settings Manager -> Appearance -> Icons tab). Maybe try changing the icon theme.

itcotbtoemik
August 10th, 2012, 11:49 PM
When I am using XFCE, I notice that some icons are missing. Firefox, for example, shows up properly in the window button list, but when I alt-tab through the active windows, its icon is missing. Moreover, xterm is missing its icon in both the window button list and the alt-tab list.

How do I go about setting the icons so that they show up properly in both the window button list and the alt-tab list?

See https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xterm/+bug/129041

michaeljmcd
August 11th, 2012, 03:00 AM
What icon theme are you using? (Settings Manager -> Appearance -> Icons tab). Maybe try changing the icon theme.

"Icons" is currently set to "elementary Xfce dark". I tried each one, to no effect.

Toz
August 11th, 2012, 03:13 AM
Can you list off the icon themes that you do have installed? I'm wondering if you're missing one.

michaeljmcd
August 11th, 2012, 03:49 PM
Can you list off the icon themes that you do have installed? I'm wondering if you're missing one.

elementary Xfce
elementary Xfce dark
elementary Xubuntu dark
GNOME
High contrast
Hight contrast inverse
humanity
humanity-dark
login icons
lowcontrast
oxygen
oxygen
ubuntu-mono-dark
ubuntu-mono-light
unity-icon-theme

michaeljmcd
August 11th, 2012, 04:06 PM
See https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xterm/+bug/129041

But I can get icons for xterm when I use KDE or Unity. Do I need to create something XFCE specific? When I look for relevant .desktop files, this is what I find:

% locate xterm.desktop
/home/myser/.local/share/applications/debian-xterm.desktop
/usr/share/app-install/desktop/roxterm:roxterm.desktop
/usr/share/app-install/desktop/xterm:debian-xterm.desktop
/usr/share/app-install/desktop/xxxterm:xxxterm.desktop
/usr/share/applications/debian-uxterm.desktop
/usr/share/applications/debian-xterm.desktop
/usr/share/applications/xterm.desktop
/usr/share/xfce4/helpers/nxterm.desktop
/usr/share/xfce4/helpers/xterm.desktop
/usr/share/xubuntu/applications/debian-uxterm.desktop
/usr/share/xubuntu/applications/debian-xterm.desktop

Toz
August 11th, 2012, 05:17 PM
elementary Xfce
elementary Xfce dark
elementary Xubuntu dark
GNOME
High contrast
Hight contrast inverse
humanity
humanity-dark
login icons
lowcontrast
oxygen
oxygen
ubuntu-mono-dark
ubuntu-mono-light
unity-icon-theme

I also have the Tango icon theme, that you seem to be missing. Try adding tango-icon-theme and tango-icon-theme-common.

Do you have an ~/.gtkrc-2.0 file? If so, what are the contents of that file?

michaeljmcd
August 11th, 2012, 05:49 PM
I also have the Tango icon theme, that you seem to be missing. Try adding tango-icon-theme and tango-icon-theme-common.

Do you have an ~/.gtkrc-2.0 file? If so, what are the contents of that file?

I added tango and Firefox shows an icon in the alt-tab window now, but xterm is still without an icon.

The file looks like:

# -- THEME AUTO-WRITTEN BY gtk-theme-switch2 DO NOT EDIT
include "/usr/share/themes/Clearlooks/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"

include "/home/michael/.gtkrc-2.0.mine"

# -- THEME AUTO-WRITTEN BY gtk-theme-switch2 DO NOT EDIT

the file in the 4th line does not exist on my system.

Toz
August 11th, 2012, 06:36 PM
Out of curiosity, why are you using xterm? xfce4-terminal is the Xfce default terminal application and it integrates better in the environment.

Now that I start up xterm, I have the same issue with the icon in the tab field.

michaeljmcd
August 11th, 2012, 07:53 PM
Out of curiosity, why are you using xterm? xfce4-terminal is the Xfce default terminal application and it integrates better in the environment.

Now that I start up xterm, I have the same issue with the icon in the tab field.

I tend to tinker with my desktop environment a lot (awesome wm being one of the ones I keep going back to, when I don't care about glitz or glitter) and xterm normally transfers well. It's fast, it's light, and the fonts look good after a couple of quick configuration changes.

But if XFCE handles it that poorly, I might just have to use xfce4-terminal in the meanwhile.

Toz
August 11th, 2012, 09:10 PM
So I did some digging and found this link: http://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=6779. Too funny - no wonder I thought this question was familiar.

Anyways, you need the imagemagick program installed to access the convert command. Then, find an icon that you like and convert it to an xbm file:

convert /path/to/icon/file /path/to/xterm.xbm

Create an ~/.Xresources file with the following content:

xterm*iconPixmap: /path/to/xterm.xbm

Then merge in the ~/Xresources file:

xrdb -merge ~/.Xresources