PDA

View Full Version : Cannot Run Installation Disc

Soulplayer
August 10th, 2012, 05:20 AM
I use Google a lot… sometimes all day long in my thirst for technical knowledge. I rarely ever post questions unless I am absolutely stumped.

I am.

To the best of my knowledge, my entire system should be fully up-to-date for this task. I just purchased this refurbished computer about a month ago from Geeks.com, and my family knows this website to be a very reliable online store for awesome deals on electronics. It looked to be in "like new" condition.

My motherboard has an AMD APU (accelerated processing unit), which combines central, integrated graphics video, and integrated sound audio processors all onto the same motherboard.

The computer came with dual-channel RAM, 4 sticks of 2-GB Kingston, and then I replaced 2 of the sticks with 4-GB CORSAIR RAM into a corresponding channel (for a difference of an extra 4 GB of RAM) that I purchased from Newegg.com.

I also just bought a new SSD from Amazon.com and installed it into an open drive bay.

Upon starting to use my OEM version of Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit), I am almost 100% positive that I had installed all of the latest driver updates for all of my hardware, until I ran into some issues with installing new operating systems, which I will explain. Keep in mind that I do not value this OS, so I do not mind replacing it during the process of re-formatting the HDD with different operating systems. I do not wish to multi-boot 2 different versions of Windows 7.

My BIOS is fully up to date.

CHAMPION-PC Desktop Computer Specs:

Case, PSU, & Cooling Units
_ Acer Aspire mid-tower
_ Acer Aspire M3 ATX (300 W)
_ Acer Aspire heat sink & fan

Motherboard, CPU, iGPU/iVPU, & iSPU/iAPU
_ Acer Aspire M3470-UC30P
_ AMD Fusion A8-3800 (Quad-Core / Turbo Core) (APU) Llano, Socket FM1 (65 W) @ 2.4/2.7 GHz
_ AMD (ATI) Radeon HD 6500D
_ Realtek ALC892 7.1+2-channel HD audio codec w/ content protection

BIOS
_ American Megatrends Inc. P01-A4 [UP-TO-DATE]

RAM
_ 2 x 4-GB CORSAIR Vengeance DIMM @ 1,600 MHz, DDR3 PC3-12800 SDRAM
_ 2 x 2-GB Kingston 1Rx8 DIMM @ 1,600 MHz, DDR3 PC3-12800 SDRAM

Internal Disk Drives
_ 256-GB SAMSUNG 830 MZ-7PC256D/AM SATA/SCSI III MLC SSD [IN SATA-0 PORT CURRENTLY SET TO 2ND DISK PRIORITY, COMPLETELY FORMATTED]
_ 1-TB Seagate ST31000524AS SATA/SCSI HDD [IN SATA-1 PORT; CURRENTLY SET TO 1ST DISK PRIORITY WITH OEM DISTRO OF WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM]

Internal Optical Disc Drive
_ Pioneer DVR-219RS CD-ROM / CD-RW / DVD-ROM / DVD±R / DVD±R DL (DVD±R9) / DVD±RW (SL)/DL player/burner [IN SATA-2 PORT]

Goal:

I wish to upload a new OS onto my new SSD so that I can transfer all of my data from my HDD onto the SSD, format the HDD, transfer all of my data back onto the HDD permanently, and then to re-format my SSD and custom install the following 3 operating systems in order, partitioning volume sizes accordingly:

[bootable CD/DVD] Canonical Ubuntu Linux 12.04 LTS (Precise Pangolin) (x86-64) [40 GB space]
[bootable CD/DVD] Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate (x86-64), Service Pack 1 [60 GB space]
[bootable USB] Apple (Mac) OS X v10.8 "Mountain Lion" Hackintosh (x86-64) [80 GB space]

NOTE: Before commenting on my mention of Hackintosh, realize that Hackintosh has nothing to do with the issue. My issue involves the installation of Ubuntu Linux.

Problem:

IN ONE SENTENCE: I can't boot multiple operating systems onto my computer, let alone even one of them.

Very confusing.

First of all, it's a given that I always correctly edit the Boot Priority in my BIOS menu (Del key) and correctly change the Boot Order (F12 key). However many times I double-check this, I can't seem to understand why my BIOS Default Settings think that I should use the RAID SATA mode, because the computer originally came with a single hard disk drive, and I just recently installed the solid-state drive. I read that RAID requires at least 2 drives, usually of the same amount of storage space?

My CD/DVD optical drive and Windows 7 Home Premium will both fail to boot in the regular AHCI SATA mode and also the older IDE mode and requests that I run Startup Repair, which fails to boot also (but this doesn't matter). I have never set up a RAID array manually, and I can only imagine that Windows has confused my BIOS into thinking that I am using RAID (perhaps from faulty OEM (original equipment manufacturer) installation?). Aside from the fact that my BIOS does not give me any choice as to which type of RAID I can use, I assume that it maybe just uses RAID-0? This concerns me, because if I understand RAID correctly, then I cannot utilize my maximum capacity of data storage without an even higher increase in data loss probability. Does this give any clue toward a proper diagnosis?

I downloaded the Ubuntu Linux installation .iso disc image from the Ubuntu website, trying both direct download and torrent download. I used InfraRecorder to write the disc images onto a DVD (then I burned a couple more just for tests in case of either faulty discs or faulty images). wubi.exe starts up, but upon booting from CD/DVD drive, I see the GRUB manager, which lists 3 options from the Linux installer. All of them give me a black screen that ends the signal to my monitor and forces me to hold down the power button. Installation fails, of course, so after each attempt, I uninstall Ubuntu from my Program Files.

I should also note that after burning the DVD, wubi.exe gives me the message, "D:\wubi.exe is not a valid win32 application." When I download wubi.exe directly from Ubuntu.com, I run it and install, reboot my computer, and enter GNU GRUB, whereas I can choose between either Windows 7 or Ubuntu, but Ubuntu does not load and faces the same issue as that which I stated in the previous paragraph. I proceed to re-format the SSD.

I don't know if it's a coincidence, but I remember the same thing happening on my old computer, which also has a Pioneer-brand CD/DVD optical drive, when I tried to install Ubuntu Linux 10.04 LTS (Lucid Lynx) (32-bit).

I tried popping in my Windows 7 Ultimate installation disc, which I burned using Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool, and it booted! The only problem there was that the installer prompted me that I needed to install CD/DVD drive drivers to continue. It showed a menu where driver updates would otherwise appear in a list for me to install, but nothing appeared. So… are my drivers up to date??

Solution:

Please, if anyone knows an answer that does not involve a terminal coding work-around or a temporary fix that could jeopardize the functionality of the operating systems and therefore defeat the purpose of even installing them altogether, then I would greatly appreciate all of the help!

If you read through this entire post, then you're awesome. http://www.pchelpforum.com/xf/styles/default/xenforo/clear.png Thank you in advance!!

Sincerely,

Soulplayer

:lolflag:

Soulplayer
August 10th, 2012, 03:50 PM
Why can't my computer boot the Ubuntu Linux 12.04 AMD64 installer from DVD, which I burned using InfraRecorder?? Yes, I know how to use the BIOS. Does it have anything to do with my OEM distribution of Windows 7 not booting into AHCI mode, even after I made a fix < http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976 > that should have taken care of that problem?? Please help. Thank you in advance.

If you want background on the issue, then here is the main thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=12161588

Sincerely,

Soulplayer

seshdroid
August 10th, 2012, 04:16 PM
What happens while you boot your system?

Does it show a crimson screen with a list of stuff with Ubuntu 12.04 on the top and Windows at the bottom?

If yes then your dual boot worked fine

else it failed and you might have to re-install just Ubuntu

It might sound silly but if you could use a USB stick to install, it might work faster.

If you have Ubuntu installed in another system then use the StartupDiskCreator (application) that comes pre-installed on it.. its easy. You'll get loads of video tutorials for it on YouTube.

Soulplayer
August 10th, 2012, 04:33 PM
I don't get anything beyond GNU GRUB other than a blank screen and a lost signal to my monitor. I do not have a USB drive available for Ubuntu Linux. InfraRecorder should be just as good as StartupDiskCreator for this task, shouldn't it?

What concerns me more than any of this is the fact that my Windows installation disc tells me that I lack the necessary drivers for my CD/DVD optical drive, but when it shows me a menu, which would otherwise show a list of drivers to download, nothing appears.

oldos2er
August 10th, 2012, 06:00 PM
Threads merged. Please don't start more than one thread for a given topic; it dilutes community effort. Thanks.