PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No fans on macbook pro 5.4 with Ubuntu 12.04

nimades
August 10th, 2012, 03:06 PM
Hi guys,

I've just installed Ubuntu 12.04 on my Macbook pro 5.4 and its all going great. Except the fans. They don't appear to be working.

Naturally this is a bit of a problem, what with overheating and all that. I'm getting by with my cooling pad for now, but this isn't a long term solution. I've had a look through the forums but nothing has been that relevant so far and the one I have tried didn't work.

So basically, does anyone know how I can kick start the fans?

Cheers! (P.s. sorry if this is common thing, I just haven't found anything so far!)

sgarman
August 10th, 2012, 06:19 PM
Is the applesmc kernel module loaded? (lsmod | grep applesmc)

If not, that's the first problem you'll need to resolve.

Second - are you using macfanctld? You can get that from the mactel-support ppa repository.

Scott

nimades
August 11th, 2012, 12:07 PM
Yeah sorry, I'm really new at this. How do you tell if the applesmc kernel module is loaded? Been searching for the answer for ages and can't find anything...

sgarman
August 11th, 2012, 04:31 PM
In a terminal window, type

lsmod | grep applesmc

If that command returns nothing, the module is not loaded. In that case, try:

sudo modprobe applesmc

If that command hangs for a while before returning you to the command prompt, it no doubt means there were problems loading the driver. The dmesg command will show you output from the kernel, and you should see some errors related to the applesmc driver.

So to add the mactel-support ppa to your package manager, you would do the following:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mactel-support/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install applesmc

Now you can try modprobe'ing the applesmc module and it should work.

Step 2 is getting the macfanctld daemon installed. That too is in the mactel-support ppa, so assuming you have already added the repository as above, you'd just:

sudo apt-get install macfanctld

Then you can start the daemon with:

sudo service macfanctld start

Take a look at /etc/macfanctld.conf to change the configuration if needed - on some systems you may need to tell macfanctld to ignore certain sensors output.

Finally, to monitor your actual fan speeds, you can keep a terminal window open with the following command running:

watch sensors

That will run the sensors command every 2 seconds, showing you temperature readings from your CPU as well as the fan speeds. Just hit Ctrl-C to exit from the watch command.

Scott

terryeden
August 25th, 2012, 09:42 PM
Sorry to hijack this thread - any idea how I increase the minimum fan speed?
At 2000, it's just a little too warm for me.

philcolbourn
September 1st, 2012, 08:45 AM
Try editing your /etc/macfanctld.conf file.